“Function room!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Days Hotel Chester North - Gateway to Wales
Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Chester
“Function room!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am writing this review from the room I'm staying in and the noise is terrible infact it's absolutely disgusting and this isn't from the roads outside.... On our arrival we were greatly greeted and told about dinner breakfast and leisure centre (which is free and brilliant) i cannot fault the staff or the food! The rooms are good size to comfy bed and everything you need for a night in a hotel! However the fact that there is a function room absolutely blasting music out from it and I'm not over reacting its absolutely thumping! Sounds like I'm in the toilets of a huge nightclub! I paid £89 and I'm debating on leaving right now! So Iv basically paid £90 to have two meals,a jacuzzi and a swim! So disappointed after having such great first reactions! If a member of hotel staff read this I suggest you give warning of this when the room gets booked! Just to reiterate tho food and staff brilliant!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Schofield85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night, and in fairness, everything was nice and clean, Staff were very courteous, and the breakfast was good. The hotel is abit close to the A55,and to be honest, doesn't look that inviting from the outside, but i was pleasantly surprised by the place. Its not in Chester, It is in Queensferry about 6 miles or so from the city, but it's ideal for a central location. (Chester,Liverpool, M56 one way, Llandudno,Bangor, Anglesey & Caernarfon around an hour in the opposite direction). Reasonable prices for a double room B & B. It is basic, but you would have to be really fussy to complain about it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the A55 are much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Redcofi
Grahame C, Hotel Manager at Days Hotel Chester North - Gateway to Wales, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
It gives me great pleasure to receive such lovely feedback from our guests. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems we where experiencing with our pool on your second night. Your comments are all greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards

Grahame Carrington
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Excellent value if you are able the book the bed, breakfat and two course evening meal. Rooms are great and roomy. The resturant is small but meals and service second to none. The use of health club and swimming pool is something to be used. It is included in the overall cost. Was able to leave one car at hotel while visiting customer. Will use this hotel for all future calls in the area. Need to change TV in the resturant as teh black stop was there last time and can irritate some. (That was all I could find to complain about)

Room Tip: Not one facing teh dual carraige way
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Robin T
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one day/night on a weekend as my partner was on a course. I didn't know where he had booked so wasn't sure what to expect... I was told by him (incorrectly) that it had a "spa" which is why he booked it ( so I could use it why he was on his course) so I initially obviously had visions of a more grand hotel.

When I pulled up at the hotel the sign was a little dated so I wondered how this hotel managed to have a pool jacuzzi etc especially as it was so small but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel lobby looked quite nice and when I came in the hotel looked a lot better than from the outside.

Due to unforeseen circumstances
I was in the area early around 2.5 hrs before checkin. When I rang they told me my room was nearly ready so I actually managed to checkin at 12pm ( its normally at 2pm). They also told me that if my room wasn't ready when I came that I was free to use the leisure centre facilities whilst I wait.

The room was basic but what do you expect for the price. The decor is very plain but there is a bed, iron, kettle, tv, cupboard with plenty of hangers, spair chair and desk. The bathroom had a bit of a funny stale smell but it was clean. There was soap and shower gel also and plenty of towels. There was also a hairdryer in the room if you needed it. The bed was really comfortable ( i slept like a baby) and there were adequate channels on the TV. However like others have said the channels are basic so you get channels 1-5 plus ITV2, sky news, sky sports news and i think E4 but thats it so dont expect too much. As other reviewers have said there is no AC and with the noise outside you probably won't want the window open so not sure what you do on a hot day ( although there is a fan in the room). Also there is only one radiator in the room which wasn't turned on when we arrived. When we turned it on in the evening it didnt get extremely hot but thankfully it wasn't a very cold day and by the time we turned the radiator on and went out in the evening the room was a comfortable temperature. However if you arrive on a very cold day and your radiator isn't on already don't expect the room to warm up quickly!

Location.... Hmm... Like others have said it isn't really in Chester but that didn't bother me. We drove up and it was only a 10 minute drive into Chester and cabs are readily available. I was also told by many in the hotel that there is a bus that stops right outside the hotel that takes you straight into Chester town centre. However be warned that the buses stop around 11pm. There is also adequate parking spaces at the hotel. However if there was a function or large event at the hotel when you arrived you may be in trouble (as I couldn't see anywhere else to park around the hotel as its on the junction of several main roads).

Which brings me on to the noise that everyone has complained of.... The hotel is on the Welsh road so you can constantly hear cars zooming up and down. My partner actually asked me when he came in if the window was open! However to be honest it's really NOT that bad. My room was on the 1st floor facing the road and I could constantly hear the cars going up and down ( a car passes literally every 2 seconds all day and night). However it didn't bother me or affect me from sleeping and I managed to relax in the room in the day and evening without it disturbing me. However if you are a light sleeper or get disturbed easily my advice would be to stay somewhere else!

The leisure centre was basic but adequate however its certainly not a spa ( they dont advertise it as a spa however but my point is to not have great expectations). It has all the facilities but it is very small. The gym has around 4 treadmills and 2 cross trainers and a few weights machines and free weights but thats it. The machines are old and a little outdated but they work! The gym overlooks the pool area so you can watch others in the pool to distract you from the boredom of the treadmill which I thought was nice. The sauna is also quite small... There are 2 seating levels so it can only fit about 4 people comfortably but it was nice and clean. The steam room is slightly larger and is very clean and doesn't have the usual damp smell that some steam rooms do. The pool is very small and the deepest side is 4 foot which is great for kids but obviously divers and avid swimmers may find this a problem. Its heated however which is an added bonus. The jacuzzi was lovely and reasonably sized. There are also 2 recliners by the pool so you can relax there if you wish. Water is available for free and there is a nice ice cold shower by the pool which is useful after the sauna and steamroom. The changing rooms were ok.... They weren't as clean as I'd like mainly because as people come in there to use the gym they come in with shoes or come from the gym with shoes and as the floor is wet sometimes it was slightly dirty. However the showers were clean as were the sinks and other surfaces but definitely bring a pair of flip flops to wear when changing! The leisure centre can get quite busy on a weekend and there is a children's swimming class on saturday am till 12 so you can't use the pool until after 12. People other than hotel users use the facilities so like I said it can get a bit busy but the people are so lovely and friendly that it really didn't bother me sharing the sauna or pool with others as they were so chatty and welcoming. To be honest the facilities are the best thing about the hotel so if your going to stay here I certainly recommend that you make sure you have time to use it.... It certainly makes up for the location and the noise from the road! And you can use it up till 9:30 pm for free! ( I believe it closes at 10pm).

People have commented on the restaurant but as I didn't eat there I can't comment. In the evening however the smell from the restaurant was quite lovely and inviting. There is also a vending machine in the lobby which is quite helpful if you get peckish or thirsty in the middle of the night!

So all in all having actually spent a full 24 hrs in the hotel I can say my stay was pretty ok. However had I not had a chance to use the leisure centre I may have felt differently as the rooms are nothing special. My only gripe is that they charged us £20 for a late check out and most other places would allow you to check out an hour later for free. We
didnt specify a time but asked for a late check out and they said we could check out at 1pm... When we agreed they said it would be £20 so maybe it's my fault for not asking for perhaps just an extra hour and perhaps this would have been free. However as they allowed me to check in early I can't really complain! However at least it shows the staff are quick to try and accommodate you and I'm grateful a late check out was possible.

So if you don't mind staying slightly outside Chester and haven't really come with any great expectations other than a clean room to stay in you may be pleasantly surprised by this hotel! If you aren't going to have time to use the facilities however you may find that your money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012
Kendal, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel says its at Chester North, its situated at Queensferry which is no where near Chester, how they get away with trades discription I will never know! Stayed for one night with my wife on our way to visit friends in North Wales. To say the least its worn out! Its wedged between the old road and a duel carriageway with all the ongoing 24 hour road racket. The staff are however friendly and helpfull.
After viewing our very sad tired room, with green stained painted walls, worn and stained carpets plus a bog standard double bed, we expected the worst in the restaurant, however if some what overpriced the food was of a good quality and freash. Having turned off the heating and retired for the night after finding the TV only had access to BBC1 & 2 we were awoken at 4am by a serious knocking coming from our room radiator! The only way to shut it up was to turn the heating back on, it then continued to rattle the rest of the night.
Its your typical contractors hotel suits a purpose, but its needs money spending on it or knocking down and rebuilding with modern sound proofing.

Room Tip: Do not go there!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed in the Gateway to Wales Days Hotel for 1 night on business. First impression when I pulled up was not great, however much better once inside. The free Wi Fi worked well and the Gym and pool was a real bonus. My room was good, clean, comfy double bed and a great power shower. Food in the restaurant was very good, a bit pricey though and breakfast set me up for the day. Overall a great value enjoyable stay. One negative is the noise from the road, not bad enough to concern me on my stay, however as the room did not have air conditioning, I would imagine that rooms would be too hot in the summer, as you would not be able to open the window.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in my career from 1 to 5 star and have to admit that The Days Inn Chester North must be one of the worst .

Starting off with the most obvious the presentation of the hotel comes across as dirty and well worn the carpets through the hotel are beyond explanation .

The coffee cups in the room look like somebody went to a car boot sale and grabbed the first 2 things that could hold liquid and left ,they are 2 different sizes and don't even match .That may sound trivial but it doesn't when you add everything together .

As for the biggest problem and why I am up at 3:14 am in the morning typing this letter .....

The road noise of the motorway ,it should be a warning on your website that you are next to a motorway and you can hear every single car ,van,truck and lorry that passes the hotel ,it is so loud you may if you listen carefully as I am doing now probably hear the drivers radio it is close .I have not slept at all and am livid that I have paid money for this nightmare .

I will be contacting your head office ,the first thing you see as you walk into the hotel is an excellence award from trip advisor obviously none of there staff have ever stayed here or else that would not be there .

On a positive note the only saving grace of the hotel was the food in the restaurant it was top class ,as for the rest ,I can only say it had left a bad taste in my mouth and would never stay at any Days Inn again .

The biggest disaster of all is that I am here for another night .

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank ByronSusanSmith

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels