Gateway to Wales Hotel
Hotels.com
$90
$85
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdays hotelleisure clubblue planet aquariumsteam room and saunasmall poolnorth waleswell equipped gymwould stay againmain roadcheshire oakslick of paintfriendly hotelvery pleasant staystayed here for one nightdouble roomcourse mealbuffet style
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in my career from 1 to 5 star and have to admit that The Days Inn Chester North must be one of the worst .

Starting off with the most obvious the presentation of the hotel comes across as dirty and well worn the carpets through the hotel are beyond explanation .

The coffee cups in the room look like somebody went to a car boot sale and grabbed the first 2 things that could hold liquid and left ,they are 2 different sizes and don't even match .That may sound trivial but it doesn't when you add everything together .

As for the biggest problem and why I am up at 3:14 am in the morning typing this letter .....

The road noise of the motorway ,it should be a warning on your website that you are next to a motorway and you can hear every single car ,van,truck and lorry that passes the hotel ,it is so loud you may if you listen carefully as I am doing now probably hear the drivers radio it is close .I have not slept at all and am livid that I have paid money for this nightmare .

I will be contacting your head office ,the first thing you see as you walk into the hotel is an excellence award from trip advisor obviously none of there staff have ever stayed here or else that would not be there .

On a positive note the only saving grace of the hotel was the food in the restaurant it was top class ,as for the rest ,I can only say it had left a bad taste in my mouth and would never stay at any Days Inn again .

The biggest disaster of all is that I am here for another night .

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ByronSusanSmith
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I can not rate the staff team at this hotel enough. I planned a surprise reunion for family members from all over the country - only to then find out the restaurant was closed due to a private wedding. The hotel gave me their board room - laid it out for 24 diners and space for a small choir to sing! They worked so hard to make our family event perfect. The food was excellent. The rooms very clean. Despite being rushed off their feet with wedding guests and us, all the staff remained constantly helpful and smiling. In particular my thanks to Kate and Kaylee who made us feel we were the only people in their busy world. Very recommended!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The hotel is a little out of the way of any population but is accessable by car and has parking amenities.
The room was tidy and had all necessary items for the stay, definately a PLUS having plug sockets by the bed! Even though these were for the bedside lamps, it made a nice change to be able to charge your phone and turn your alarm off the next morning without having to get oout of the bed and find your phone!
We didnt have the breakfast or evening meal so cant comment on the food but the gym facilities were good and combined in with the cost of the room. One downside being that the noise of the traffic makes it difficult if you need to open the windows overnight!
A really good value stay overall.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AngeyGirl
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments in relations to your recent stay. i am delighted to that you enjoyed your visit to us and i do hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. i would agree it is close to main roads but it not disturb us. No air con but a fan was available for use in the room if required. We also had a problem with the camber maid leaving the windows wide open on the ground floor but asked to her to ensure they were locked in future and she did. Nice and clean. Found the room small and very limited storage space, no drawers for your smalls etc.

We were asked to pay £30 per night for our pet who would fit in a shoe box, which was a bit naughty considering they advertise no charge for pets unless cleaning is required which is far enough. However, this was very quickly resolved with the Manager.

The staff were a really nice, helpful bunch who made us very welcome and our stay really enjoyable. We rreally enjoyefd the pool and jacuzzi, which was also very clean and towels were provided. Had a pleasant stay, have recommended it and would go back.

Good road networks and close to Chester ;}

Room Tip: Ground floor may have less travel noise, the wall outside of our window may have blocked the noise we slept well. Just make sure you asked for your windows to be locked.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SMM1952
MattKnight, General Manager at Gateway to Wales Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your review of the hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We value your feedback and will use it to enhance the product that we have.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The room was very basic to be fair clean (cant say the same for the corridors), however when people are mentioning a 'busy road' it is actually a 'busy motorway'. Open the curatins to see vans and lorries passing by. The hotel has no air con meaning on a warm night you have the decision of listening to heavy motorway traffic ( which you do anyway when the windows not open) or putting up and shutting up. The reception/bar staff were very unwelcoming after a meal and drink in Chester we decided to give in to the heavy rain and have a drink at the hotel however the staff refused to serve us until we had produced a room key for proof of residence despite them checking us in only hours before. The shower was noisy enough to rival the motorway. We were lucky and didnt book breakfast at the hotel or use the sauna. The review in short dont believe what you see in the pictures it is nothing like......nothing!! Oh and its nowhere near the centre at least £12.00 in a taxi each way !!

Room Tip: If you have to book there specify not next to the motorway.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katie0113

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we welcome all feedback, I am disapointed that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as we would wish for and I apologise if this has been the case.

I do hope your experience would not deter you from stying with us again.