“Very comfortable!..............” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Barrow in Furness, England, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable!..............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

our daughter booked this as a surprise break...and what a surprise we got! Room was comfortable and bigger than expected, with a seperate dressing room too! Restaurant food well presented and tasty at reasonable prices. The swimming pool is just the right size for a swim before dinner and then into the jaccuzzi. A great steam room and sauna which certainly lifted my work stress away!!! Only negative is that it's right off the A550 and although we didn't hear the traffic at night, you new it was there.I wouldn't stay for more than a weekend as there is nothing in the area except a pub and an Indian Restaraunt (all you can eat and drink for £20 pp). Very nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jedmo2010
MattKnight, General Manager at Days Hotel Chester North - Gateway to Wales, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at Days Hotel Chester North. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you made full use of our leisure club aswell as our restaurant.

We value your comments greatly and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Many thanks

Matt Knight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

What a lovely clean bolt hole!...restaurant food was fantastic!!!!....3 nights for £100.00 couldn't go wrong!!..... A *

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt our food was 'fantastic'.

We really do appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and i hope to welocme you back to Days Hotel in the near future.

Many thanks

Essex, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

It's a bit difficult to review this hotel. On one hand it's a very nice hotel with spa facilties and the rooms are fine. It's just off the A550 whihc makes it convenient to get to Chester/North Wales/Liverpool.

However, i can only base my review on the experience we had.

We had a room on the A550 side of the hotel on the first floor. This meant that we were overlooking the road (which is more or less a motorway). We didn't really notice the noise during the day but at night the amount of high speed traffic was tremendous. This included a lot of lorries and coaches and unfomratuently the double glazing seems totally inadequate to mitigate against this noise. I would recommend the hotel invest in some acoustic glazing which is more suitable for the location of the hotel.

On the second night there was a party being held in one of the conference rooms. There was no problem with music etc but some of the party were staying at the hotel. This meant we had to endure shouting in the corridors, slamming doors (which got really annoying and are very loud) and even people trying to get into our room! This went on until about 3am at least but I had kind of given up looking at the clock by then.

Our last night was quieter except for the road noise again. However, there then seemed to be a constant noise from what sounded like furniture being moved every 30 seconds. I'm not sure if this was a service lift or something else but it was a bit like water torture until about 1am.

Having said all that the spa features are really nice and we enjoyed the jacuzzi and sauna. The staff were nice when we couldn't get in our room (our key card didn't work) and managed to eventually resolve the problem.

I wouldn't stay here again for an exteneded break - maybe just 1 or 2 nights but only with a room away from the road!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluemoo
Thank you for taking to the time to pass on your comments about our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback, positive and negative, so that we can improve on our service and product.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Matt Knight

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Arrived at the Hotel, almost 2am, the night porter quickly and smoothly checked me in. The room was fairly okay, but lacked a little atmosphere. The wifi was brilliant, very fast and my mack quickly connected to it. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was nice, however, I did notice that the shower was an electric shower, a bit odd for these days in a hotel, I thought? However, upon having a shower when I entered some 6 hours later, I quickly realised this is the best electric shower I have ever been in, and it was amazingly silent!

Upon checking in @ 2am, I just wanted to get my head down and get some sleep. I noticed upon reaching the first floor (second floor to Americans) where my room was located, there was wedding bunting hanging up. 'A wedding, I thought?'. At 3am I was awakened by girls chatting and screaming, laughing etc.... this went on until after 4am. I was very tempted to open my door and to ask them to please keep the noise down. But I thought there has been a wedding, they may be suffering the intoxicating effects of alcohol and I was not up for an argument, I just wanted to sleep. Upon checking out, I made a remark on this to the receptionist, she informed me: "the wedding is tonight, it must have been a party in a room, however, the night porter does patrol, so they would have been asked to keep the noise down"

Breakfast @ an extra £7.50 (€9) was just fair enough in so far as no porridge and although there were whole fresh fruits, there was no fruit salad or grapefruit segments available, not to mention no yogurts and the only bread available was what appeared to be that awful high sugar content sliced bread.

The staff were very nice and I did get my own pot of coffee on my table at breakfast, well done!

Location is excellent, right beside the A55, I would pay more for a higher grade hotel. Perhaps a visit to the excellent Hampton Court Hotel, Newport, South Wales would be a good place to get ideas for value and standards? I must stress I have no connection with the hotel or culinary industries.

Room Tip: Ask for a good room, although I would not be too sure there is much variation between the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. Feedback is always welcomed and thank you for your comments, both positive and negative. I am sorry to read that your stay was marred by some other guests, we do try to ensure this is never the case, but clearly we have been unable to prevent this on this occasion and i apologise.

Thank you once again for your feedback and i hope to welcome you back in the near future

Kind regards

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

Attended a friends wedding here at the wkend, service was first class, Imperial suite impressive. Resident DJ perfect , staff very friendly / helpful, food was amazing / plentiful, Bar staff excellent, Rooms comfortable. well done Mark ( mgr ) and the team.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed your friends wedding.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future

Amlwch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

We had an offer of a good deal on a night's stay here, room only basis.
Reception staff very nice, asked for a quiet room, we were given one facing the outside of the pool, with A55 behond this. Heard no noice.
Room was quite large & clean, bathroom was nice & clean.
Overall a goods nights stay on the way down south, didn't have my swimming things but wish I had, and was offered towels at reception when booking in.
Very please overall, wouls stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from A55
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank llamydon
MattKnight, General Manager at Days Hotel Chester North - Gateway to Wales, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about our hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would return again in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We booked this hotel on the understanding from the reception staff that it was close to local restaurants and also Chester and its places of interest.
We arrived at the Hotel, check in was no problem, told where our room was. Once we got there and opened the door, shock and disapointment were the ways to describe this room! The room was freezing, the windows had been left open and the radiator turned off!!! It is the middle of January.
Holes in the seats, the Hotel does not have Sky, as advertised it is infact Freeview. Where our room you could only get BBC1.
Turned on the heater, which was very small for the size of the room.

Bathroom was in good condiotion and very clean, except the extractor fan was very loud and there was no way of turning it off. Would not have liked to have slept in the room due to that.

After shutting both windows and closing the curtains you could still hear the road, which is understandable for saying it sits a two minute drive off the motorway!

Went to reception, to ask what our options were due to the cold, the noise and the T.v, for saying that when we booked we had asked for a quiet room, due to reading other reviews on here.
We were told to turn the heating up, we were in the quiet part of the hotel, the other side was a lot noiser and to re-tune the t.v. If we wanted to leave, then we would have to pay our 1st nights stay.

Went back upto our room (still freezing) and noticed bleach stains on the carpet on the landing to the room, the stairs were dirty on the edging and there was a terrible smell, that had made its way into the room, which made you feel sick!

Decided that we did not care about having to pay the first nights charges, we just could not stay in that hotel!

Went down to reception to inform them of this and were told that we had to speak to the manager, greated by the assistant manager, who ushered us off to the seating area.
Explained our concerns to her, who apologised for the way we felt and that they would normally have to take a payment for a nights stay.

We informed her that we were not bothered about this, that we just wanted to go as we felt physically sick, due to the smell and just wanted to leave and find a better hotel. Explained that we had read some negative reviews on Trip Advisor, but still decided to stay there. She said that you will always get negative reviews.
The shocking part, but very honest part was that she did agree with us that the hotel did smell of "dead dog" and blamed it on the river. She also stated that we were on the quiet side of the Hotel.
After a quick chat with her manager, she came back to us and informed us that we did not have to pay anything.
So we left, sat in the car, found another Hotel, Best Western/Feathers Queens Hotel - Who after finding out about our miserable and shocking 30 minutes at the Days Inn, gave us a free upgrade to the Kings suite and also free breakfast for our two days stay, this hotel was also a lot closer to Chester and all its sights.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Wanagoagain
I am sorry to read that your brief visit to wasn't as planned. I am disapointed that you were unhappy with the hotel.

I do hope that should you visit Chester again in the future, you would give us an opportunity to restire your faith in our hotel and that you would consider staying with us again.

Kind regards