“Took over 10 minutes for my order”
Review of The Barista's

The Barista's
Ranked #3 of 35 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Terrible service wish i would of gone somewhere else like costa or starbucks, i ordered 2 teas to sit in they took over 10 minutes to bring me my order when the tea arrived it was warm will not be going here again

2  Thank Stuedwards09
Andy D, Owner at The Barista's, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Another Tripadvisor first timer amazing how many of these we have that it takes a pot of tea to finally air their views... Theme maybe. Such pathetic untrue comments don't warrant a response

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I love this place! More of us Cestrians should find time to support our great independents and take a moment to write a review.

Barista's is owner managed and it shows. Really friendly and great service - they bring your order to you for a start. The snack selection is delicious and all made locally so you're in for a treat any time of the day. Free wifi and some outside tables too.

They have the best loyalty card going too! 7th drink is free! Another great reason to keep going back.

2  Thank 487RichardS
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Visited over a busy weekend and was impressed with the coffee and service at The Barista's. Much nicer than the chain coffee shops available nearby and with a much more relaxed atmosphere it is definitely worth dropping by.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The staff were disorganised. They took ages to bring our order and brought it in cribs and drabs. One stood by drinking coffee after taking our order. Hot chocolate Luke warm even after asking for it to be hot. Scones served way after drinks drunk. Don't go here the advert saying one of the Top Ten coffee Houses ver very misleading. I work in a cafe so know what I am talking about.

3  Thank Keren H
Andy D, Owner at The Barista's, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

I was really disappointed to hear you had such a poor experience in our shop on Sunday. Thank you for highlighting this to me so I can address and ensure that this doesn't happen again. The quote that you mention is not misleading but I can understand your comment as on this occasion we did not meet our own high standards.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The reviews for this place are pretty polarised, the customers reviews appear to love or hate it. Well the problem with this place is probably the staff, I assume it depends on who you get on the day judging by the up or down comments. Today was my first visit and I can safely say that the young ladies working are not baristas and do not know how to pull an espresso that the "has bean" coffee beans deserve. The espressos were like americanos, way to long there was around 80ml of coffee and so week, the varietal flavour of the Blake beans totally lost and the guest espresso that my wife had was worse with a white crema and no flavour at all, similar to a filter coffee. Such a shame I was excited at long last that there may be an actual decent coffee shop in chester, but we are still waiting. What a waste of has bean, beans.

3  Thank hacienda51
Andy D, Owner at The Barista's, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Hi it's shame you were disappointed with your espresso, if you would have pointed this out to the staff they would have been happy to exchange them for you. I would like to clear up a couple of other points you raise, Hit and miss depending on staff - our least experienced member of team has been here 15months and as all the others is a fully trained Barista. We serve over 1000 coffees per week and try to make each one as good as the last but as they are made by humans not machines this doesn't always happen, but the 5 or 6 poor comments regarding the coffee over the last 5 years is not a bad hit or miss ratio.
Our single espresso is served in a 60ml cup, with around 40ml inside. The machine and grinder are programmed by myself 3 times per week to keep the brew ratio as close to ideal as possible, although it looks like they press a button the machine has already been set with the correct parameters.
We have been here now serving coffee for 5 years, and there are at least 2 other excellent independent coffee shops within the city centre serving great coffee so at long last great coffee arrived in Chester quite a while ago.