“Very poor coffee”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have made my own coffee at home,with a gaggia classic machine and lavazza coffee for the last 10years...and as yet no complaints!!! I try and visit/sample coffee shops wherever I vist , but today I visited the barista's in Chester and was bitterly disappointed !!!! The first cup came and it tasted as though the milk had gone off. So I took it back and quietly bought it to there attention, they apologised assured me that the milk was not off!!!! And offered me a replacement cup , the new cup came and was just the same very unplesent taste so I left it and went to another well known coffee shop and ordered the same style of coffee just in case it was me my taste buds!!!!!!!!!! But it wasn't I enjoyed two cups ........

4  Thank jsmsmithy
Andy D, Owner at The Barista's, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the coffee or the replacement we offered you although we have not been making coffee as long as you (only 5 years) we do make a few cups a day and receive lots of very good feedback face to face. We try hard to make sure each cup is enjoyable sorry it didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Would of been nice to see your review on the 2nd venue as was so good but you haven't reviewed this or anywhere else I see?

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place I believe is the best coffee shop/independent shop that I have ever experienced. I myself love a good coffee and will search for a decent espresso. This place offers you not one but TWO blends of coffee, their house or their guest which at the time was the Brazilian one (it changes weekly) I tried the guest and fell in love with the toffee taste and elegancy it had, I then just had to try the house blend! It was beautiful and didn't have me pulling any weird faces. The atmosphere around inside is delightful, set inside Chester's oldest building and gods providence building also, it really does make the place unique. The lit up brick walls really give you a feel of the olden days.
In comment to some of the other reviews that have been left on this place I feel that some are just pointless and hilarious that you would bother to write about! The one about the scones? Even if the scone was 1 day old they were still homemade, what about scones that you buy from supermarkets, I bet they are older than a day! They offered you a replacement as an act of kindness, they didn't have too, giving the scone back to them would seem rude to them as they are giving it away for free. Also another thing that I find great about this place is how the staff (who seemed lovely) bring the coffee and anything else you have ordered over to you. In other places such as Starbucks, Nero, costa, Pret, you have to STAND and WAIT and CARRY your OWN tray to your table, god knows how long all that would take. Here they allow you to settle down and relax whilst they make the drinks for you, and present them in a fantastic way. Coffee shops get busy, so does this one. There will always be a wait if the shop is full am I correct? At least you're not all standing around waiting for your coffee and queuing.
I loved this place, and would definitely recommend it to everybody, they will definitely be seeing a lot of visits from me!
Also I would like to point out my despair that costa have opened up across the street. They're not what coffee is all about they simply are awful. STAY INDEPENDENT.

1  Thank Jesshoole
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We decided that we should support the small independent, especially as a Costa has opened just across the road. The staff were pleasant and the environment very pleasing. Our coffees and scones were served fairly promptly. The coffees were good but unfortunately the scones were very dry.
I said to the waitress that we were ploughing our way through the scones but found them very dry. I said that they were not fresh. She told me they were homemade and baked fresh that morning. A few minutes later she came back and said the scones had been made the day before. She proffered a paper bag containing a scone. As we were leaving I asked if the scone she had given me was the same as the ones we had paid for. It was, so I politely said 'thank you but if that is so I do not want it' The blonde man behind the counter reached out, took it from me and muttered something that sounded like 'ok then' Mmmmm - good customer service? I think not. Why on earth would you give a customer an item that they have made a negative comment about? Surely given the relatively small cost of making scones any that are left at the end of the day should be discarded. Interestingly on the table next to us was a plate with half a scone which had obviously been left by another customer. I have only written this because of the way the blonde man dealt with me. I won't be going back.
I would add that this is not part of any hate campaign - as suggested on facebook - but genuine feedback.

1  Thank MoG2246
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Dropped in here late Friday afternoon, it was very quiet, but very comfortable, tempting range of cakes. Had an excellent cappuccino, these people seem to know what they are doing with coffee. Will go back, it's a good spot for a break in shopping. And has the Cloud free WiFi.

1  Thank drhodes56
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Being from the trade previously, I can appreciate a small indie coffee shop. We had a deluxe mocha and a creme brûlée latte, along with a couple of milkshakes. No1 son said milkshake was better than others but didn't elaborate. The coffees were both nice. The mocha was made with proper choc, not syrup, so until my daughter decided to pour several sachets if sugar in, I was enjoying it. I think though, a deluxe drink should come with cream, not as a paid extra. Didn't have an espresso so can't say if they would pass the coffee/tea spoon test. Worth a visit for the peace and quiet and comfy sofas.