“A fanastic experience”

Harthill Cookery School
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in the grade II-listed Victorian village school at Harthill and enjoying panoramic views out across the Cheshire countryside, Harthill Cookery School is a new venture from Master Chef of Great Britain Brian Mellor. You find here one week or weekend cookery courses for basic cooking skills such as baking, bread making, chocolate, cooking with fish or meat, teens cooking clubs. It is a vibrant centre for professionals and public to indulge their passion for food.
Hitchin, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A fanastic experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I attended the French cookery course, and it was fabulous. There were just seven of us on the course, and Brian and Irina were the perfect hosts - Brian is an accomplished chef and a charismatic, capable teacher - he got us all laughing while we produced not only our own lunch but also lovely dishes to take home. The building is very tastefully decorated - the little touches where old school room items are combined with the cookery school are very clever and effective. The kitchen is very well equipped, each person has their own sink, oven, cupboards etc, and Brian knew the provenance of all the food we used, which was predominantly local and all very fresh and delicious. He shared his many years of expertise and we learnt lots of little 'tricks of the trade".
The day went by so quickly and it was a shame when we had to leave, but it was great to take home our creations, excellent well-written recipes covering the dishes of the day, and even a special bag to carry it all in.
I would recommend the Harthill Cookery School to everyone -take your pick from the great choice of courses and you won't regret it!

Visited August 2013

Cheshire
“The day flew by.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a Christmas present which was a little delayed in the using, but there was no problem in extending the time. A friend and I attended the French cookery course and it was a memorable day full of useful professional tips for the amateur chef. A range of skills were involved with Brian demonstrating each course before we were let loose on the ingredients, so hardly any need to closely follow a recipe. Brian even managed to rescue my friend's dough mixture which had begun to resemble a 'Quatermass experiment.' We were all amazed that lunchtime arrived so quickly and the afternoon passed at the same rate. A delightful day.
Harthill Cookery School thoroughly deserve all the praise they are receiving.
Mike Y.

Visited August 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Absolutely Fantastic.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Harthill cookery school was a surprise birthday present for my 21st and I must say, it was one the best suprises I've ever had, so much so that's it was on my christmas list the day after I did my course! The school is professional and friendly, you instantly feel at home! When I arrived there was tea and coffee waiting and Brian had a chat with the group to assess our ability and get a bit of a background, then we went into a well furnished kitchen with large work space for 8 people ( there were 7 on our course) which was amazing as we got
Loads of individual time with Brian which was great, the menu was again fantastic, quality of food, surrounding, etc etc etc i could go on forever,

I will be booking another course in the near future and I would recommend this to anybody of all abilities, it is a truly unforgettable experience for people of all ages and food tastes

One of the best things I've done in a while!!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was a 100% unexpected oportunity to enjoy a cookery course.
The location was the first thing that amazed us, And after that, we felt welcome and like at home at all time.
Brian and specially Irina have been friendly and the perfect hosts!
We highly recomend everyone to visit Harthill Cookery School, it is an experience you will be looking forward to repeat.

1 Thank Rosa B
England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Made to feel at home”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's difficult to write a true review of my days cooking course as I fear I may not be able to fully express how warm and welcome Brian and Irina made me feel. The quality of the course (advanced knife skills), was beyond my expectations and taught me a few extra skills I hadn't already carried out. The quality of ingredients used seemed to be of excellent quality and Brian's skills as a raconteur and teacher were excellent. I would highly recommend Harthill Cookery School for an experience based day, and the best thing was (to my surprise), that you got to take home what you made.. This made my wife and children very happy. Please give them a chance even if you think it's beyond your current skill levels as Brian makes it very simple to follow and the other guests on my course were of varying abilities, therefore you didn't feel like you had to "keep up", but could just find your own tempo. As a proud Yorkshireman, it also wasn't too "posh" as to feel beyond what I would normally eat, albeit Brian if you read this "muscles, shmussles". A great day out and highly recommended.

1 Thank ChesterGolfBoy