“Informative and enjoyable - a thoroughly excellent event”

Harthill Cookery School
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Set in the grade II-listed Victorian village school at Harthill and enjoying panoramic views out across the Cheshire countryside, Harthill Cookery School is a new venture from Master Chef of Great Britain Brian Mellor. You find here one week or weekend cookery courses for basic cooking skills such as baking, bread making, chocolate, cooking with fish or meat, teens cooking clubs. It is a vibrant centre for professionals and public to indulge their passion for food.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

A friend and I attended the Sauces, Marinades and Rubs event today. The course was impeccable in content, professional in execution - and really good fun.

With just eight course members, we were able to learn techniques in detail, ask questions, and learn from mistakes. The dishes chosen covered cuisines from at least three continents, using quality ingredients, and the sort of equipment we have at home.

Irina's organisation skills were faultless, and the whole atmosphere was warm and welcoming.

Above all, however, the course was a testament to the skills of Brian Mellor, whose expertise was delivered in an enthusiastic and patient manner. He is not only an excellent chef: he is also an outstanding tutor.

Recommended unreservedly.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've just had a wonderful day at the Spring Seasonal Dinner Party cookery school. Wonderful dishes cooked (crab cakes, homemade watercress mayonnaise & melba toast, chicken and asparagus strudel, rock salt & rosemary potatoes and peas, pancetta & lettuce, and custard parfait with poached rhubarb), everything tasted amazing. I received this as a gift and I would certainly recommend to others and I hope to return in the future.

1  Thank 172CarolJ
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I attended the Cookery School for the first time last Saturday to do the Basic Knife Skills Course and I shall definitley be going back for future courses. The building itself is beautful in a lovely setting and I received a very warm welcome on arrival and met my fellow classmates. The class was small, just 7 of us, which meant we got individual attention from Brian. I really enjoyed the half day course, thought it was very good value for money and my knife skills improved hugely. I joined the course as I love cooking but am slow at chopping so I can't get as much done as I'd like to but after Saturday I'm much faster and demolished 3 cabbages in record time this aternoon!

2  Thank Gill J
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My Wife gave me a voucher for Harthill Cookery School as a Christmas present. I was delighted to find that I could choose from a range of lessons dependent on my interests at the time. I decided on the Seasonal Dinner Party as I thought I would learn lots of different techniques along with proper planning and scheduling of each part of a 3 course meal.
I was not disappointed, Brian Mellor was our chef for the day, he gave demonstrations of what we would be doing then took our small group of 9 through its paces. He was always on hand for advice and nothing was to much bother to him. I could not believe how fast the day went.
I will definitely be going back for more and have no hesitation in recommending he School.
Praise also has to go to Irena who makes delightful cookies to eat along with endless cups of tea and coffee.

1  Thank Craig S
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I attended the first course with some trepidation as a solo attendee at the Valentine's Day meal course. The trepidation was entirely misplaced. You receive a warm welcome (and fabulous biscuits) from Irina and Brian quickly ensures everyone is put at ease when he explains what the day will involve.

The premises are set up as a proper school with individual work stations; the teaching is by way of demonstration/explanation and then you give it a go yourself. There is just the right amount of technical knowledge imparted and Brian is very approachable and keeps on eye on your attempts to do what he's asked. This is a chef who clearly knows his stuff and knows how to explain it to non chefs. You don't need to be a great cook to attend the course, there are all levels of ability and 'foodiness' on the courses and yet everyone comes away feeling it's been pitched at their level!

Somehow what seems very complicated before you attend the class (making bread, spring rolls and beef wellington, slicing onions the way TV chefs do) turns out to be manageable and very edible. I came away from my first course feeling motivated and inspired to be more confident and adventurous in my cooking and promptly booked several more courses which have been equally as brilliant.

1  Thank La_Luna1971