“worth a second visit...”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed November 1, 2010

my wife and I stayed for a weekend (2 nights) and have struggled to find faults. The staff were impeccably friendly, particularly in the bar. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the workers we encountered. Our room was upgraded to a slightly bigger one above the function room as there was a wedding on both nights but to be honest it wasnt too noisy and if we'd wanted to be asleep by 9pm we would stayed at home anyway. the food in teh bar was frankly superb, breakfast was filling to say the least. the spa was our only mild disappointment. the treatment i wanted was unavailable that weekend due to no stocks of vital equipment. frankly they could have got some locally and could have taken the £55 for the treatment, but there you go - a bit more thought would have been helpful. the pool did seem cold although there were signs explaining why. that was a shame as we would definitely have spent more time and certainly more money in the spa. it looked superb but possibly overpriced on some bits.
Overall though, a fantastic stay would definitely recommend and i am sure that we'll be back.

1  Thank nobbysja
There are newer reviews for Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 29, 2010

Just got back from a 1 night stay in the Bridal Suite, room 78. My husband and I were booked for 2 nights, but due to my ill health, we decided to stay just one. The receptionists were lovely, and cancelled the second night with no charge. The rate for room 78 is £195 per night incl. breakfast.

Positives:
-Room 78! Beautiful, romantic, old fashioned charm. Biggest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel.
-Great atmosphere, relaxed.
-Great staff, all very polite, couldn't have helped more. Infact some of the most polite hotel staff we have ever come across.
-Great food and drinks, and service in Nelson's Bar.
-Fantastic choice of room service. Food was delicious, lady who served it wonderful.
-Spa area (I didn't use but my husband said it looked wonderful. Our friend's a member of the facilities, he loves their pool).
-Lots of treatments avaliable, plus 2 places to eat, so no need to leave hotel for a romantic stay with your spouse or a girlie spa retreat.
-Lots of teas/ coffees in room.
-Robe/ slippers/ heart bath bombs provided
.-Quickest check in ever.

Negatives:
-Awful night's sleep due to people and children staying in the other suites. They were so loud all evening, banging on our door by accident, talking like foghorns, walls paperthin. Then, they woke us up at 12:45, screaming, shouting, and generally being inconsiderate morons. I wanted a romantic relaxing break with my husband, not to listen to this. It carried on for a while, and I couldn't get back to sleep for hours, as they shouting woke me up with a jolt; it sounded like they were in our room. Then their delightful children screamed and screamed from 8 am. I oly get lie ins when in hotels, so I was not impressed after a few hours sleep.
TAKE EAR PLUGS!
-Loads of weddings take place here, so this level of noise might be a regular occurance, Fine at a budget hotel, but not when you're paying good money.
-Gym- my husband said it was very small, no free weights.
-Due to the 60 second check in, we did not get given any info about spa, restaurants, breakfast etc.

-We will stay again, but will take ear plugs and hope for more considerate guests.

1  Thank seahorsesparkle
Reviewed October 25, 2010

i recentley stayed @ the hotel on 21st october 2010 for my daughters wedding, everything was great the hotel the wedding the location and grounds, the room we stayed in room 62 was very spacious and clean the spa&pool/leisure facilites was great, breakfast was very good plenty of choice very enjoyable stay allround would i recommend this hotel certainly

Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed at the Pulford for 2 nights as we were visiting Oulton Park for the final of BSB. The hotel staff are very pleasant and helpful - check in was problem free. We had one of the rooms with a spiral staircase which was very nice - only downside is the hairdryer is very old and could do with replacing and the floor tiles in the bathroom are extremely slippy so beware! The food in both the Nelsons bar and Ciros is excellent the waiting staff can not do enough for you. We arrived on a Saturday and there were two weddings on that evening at the hotel but these did not disrupt us in anyway (although the car park was very busy). All in all a lovely a hotel but some areas need some redecoration. I would definately stay here again. (NB: when you put the post code in a sat nav takes you miles away from the hotel in the end we put in Pulford, Chester and found it that way).

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2010

What a great place, we were looking for a hotel for a weekend trip to Chester Zoo, Rang to book and was told about their fab zoo package - £195 bed and breakfast for a room to sleep 5, also included zoo tickets, £20 for each adult towards evening meal in hotel and kids ate for free. Also included in the room was free use of the pool and facilities.
We stayed on a Saturday night and even though the hotel had two weddings on the Saturday and one on the Sunday we were not disturbed by them at all, room was a good size for the 5 of us (three children aged 9,6 &5) very clean. Ate in the Nelson Bar and the food was excellent - kids menu also spot on. Great night sleep. Breakfast was great, everything that you would want and again very friendly with the children. We then went for an hour in the pool which although a bit cold was great. Changing facilities were very clean. The only bad thing about the weekend was leaving to come home. Ronnie on reception catered for our ever need and answered all our questions and directed us as we needed. I would definately return and recomend to families particularly if you are visiting the zoo. Only 10 mins drive away.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I booked the romantic package for my wife's birthday. I had done some research and this place sounded like just the right place for a relaxing weekend in a luxurious 4* hotel.
The location is lovely and easy to find. When we arrived I was a little disappointed as although the building looks nice I wasn't sure where the entrance was as the main doors are to the pub. The second entrance was to the wedding suite, trying to find the entrance did give us chance to see the lovely grounds and there was a wedding on. Looks like a good venue and the real Swan sat on the red carpet was a nice sight.
I eventually found the entrance to the hotel reception.
In the entrance you are met by a leaking fountain which gave off a bit of an 'odour' of stale water. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming and gave us all the info that we needed.
It took us a while to find our room down a rabbit warren of narrow corridors. Throughout our stay we were bumping in to other guests that were also struggling in navigating the corridors to and from their rooms. (It was actually fun getting lost and all corridors seemed to eventually lead to the right place)
Upon entering our room we found a metal staircase leading up to a small bedroom with low ceilings and bathroom area. This was a quirky arrangement that made for a different stay, although I did note that the downstairs area consisted of a small room with only one chair and a coffee table (and the wardrobe). I personally think they coulfd make this area much more functional with at least two chairs and a small TV or music.
My wife was happy enough with the champagne and chocolates that were of an excellent quality.
I had a quick look through the hotel manual to find a dead earwig in the room service menu. (got rid before my wife found it). Bed was comfy and bathroom was modern and clean with nice soaps and bathroom supplies.
I used the gym while my wife relaxed in the bath with her choccies and champagne. The gym and pool were really good, and the spa centre looked fantastic.
We ate at Ciro's, the food was excellent and the waitress was really nice, however we did wait nearly 40 minutes for our drinks (never mind the starter). the decor is tired and fake looking with a greco/italian theme. Although the food really was excellent I did feel that it wasn't exactly value for money as it was very expensive. I did regret not eating in the gastro pub instead.
Slept well in the comfy bed, room was a bit hot and the church bells woke me up but still a pretty comfortable nights sleep. We opted for breakfast in bed which was nice but it was a challenge getting the tray up the metal staircase without dropping the lot!
All in all - not a bad stay but a little bit expensive for the standard offered.
Quaint and quirky but I don't think we'll be back.
(I won't go in to the paranormal experience that my wife experienced in the night! - I'm blaming the champagne)

Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting family, we didn't get to see much of the hotel or use any of the facilities except from breakfast in bed the following morning.
we paid £126 (including the chocolates on arrival).
What I would like to say about the stay is it is a lovely hotel, its grounds and position is quiet, there was a wedding function on but we didn't notice any noise from it - other hotels have failed in this area).
The spa and facilities were at our disposal - altough we didn't have time to use them.(other hotels charge extra)
I felt like I wanted to come back and stay here to just simply enjoy it - (other hotels don't leave me feeling this way - I can take them or leave them)
The menu in the room is reasonably priced £6-£12 - they do add a tray charge for room service (£10) - but it allows you the option whereas other hotels cahrge £13 for a panini upwards.

The one indulgence we did have was Breakfast in bed - it was a lovely breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple