“Not bad but not brilliant”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Chester
West Kirby, United Kingdom
“Not bad but not brilliant”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I booked the romantic package for my wife's birthday. I had done some research and this place sounded like just the right place for a relaxing weekend in a luxurious 4* hotel.
The location is lovely and easy to find. When we arrived I was a little disappointed as although the building looks nice I wasn't sure where the entrance was as the main doors are to the pub. The second entrance was to the wedding suite, trying to find the entrance did give us chance to see the lovely grounds and there was a wedding on. Looks like a good venue and the real Swan sat on the red carpet was a nice sight.
I eventually found the entrance to the hotel reception.
In the entrance you are met by a leaking fountain which gave off a bit of an 'odour' of stale water. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming and gave us all the info that we needed.
It took us a while to find our room down a rabbit warren of narrow corridors. Throughout our stay we were bumping in to other guests that were also struggling in navigating the corridors to and from their rooms. (It was actually fun getting lost and all corridors seemed to eventually lead to the right place)
Upon entering our room we found a metal staircase leading up to a small bedroom with low ceilings and bathroom area. This was a quirky arrangement that made for a different stay, although I did note that the downstairs area consisted of a small room with only one chair and a coffee table (and the wardrobe). I personally think they coulfd make this area much more functional with at least two chairs and a small TV or music.
My wife was happy enough with the champagne and chocolates that were of an excellent quality.
I had a quick look through the hotel manual to find a dead earwig in the room service menu. (got rid before my wife found it). Bed was comfy and bathroom was modern and clean with nice soaps and bathroom supplies.
I used the gym while my wife relaxed in the bath with her choccies and champagne. The gym and pool were really good, and the spa centre looked fantastic.
We ate at Ciro's, the food was excellent and the waitress was really nice, however we did wait nearly 40 minutes for our drinks (never mind the starter). the decor is tired and fake looking with a greco/italian theme. Although the food really was excellent I did feel that it wasn't exactly value for money as it was very expensive. I did regret not eating in the gastro pub instead.
Slept well in the comfy bed, room was a bit hot and the church bells woke me up but still a pretty comfortable nights sleep. We opted for breakfast in bed which was nice but it was a challenge getting the tray up the metal staircase without dropping the lot!
All in all - not a bad stay but a little bit expensive for the standard offered.
Quaint and quirky but I don't think we'll be back.
(I won't go in to the paranormal experience that my wife experienced in the night! - I'm blaming the champagne)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Borehamwood uk
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting family, we didn't get to see much of the hotel or use any of the facilities except from breakfast in bed the following morning.
we paid £126 (including the chocolates on arrival).
What I would like to say about the stay is it is a lovely hotel, its grounds and position is quiet, there was a wedding function on but we didn't notice any noise from it - other hotels have failed in this area).
The spa and facilities were at our disposal - altough we didn't have time to use them.(other hotels charge extra)
I felt like I wanted to come back and stay here to just simply enjoy it - (other hotels don't leave me feeling this way - I can take them or leave them)
The menu in the room is reasonably priced £6-£12 - they do add a tray charge for room service (£10) - but it allows you the option whereas other hotels cahrge £13 for a panini upwards.

The one indulgence we did have was Breakfast in bed - it was a lovely breakfast.

Abergele, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Stay here before and enjoyed it but this time the hotel is in need of refurb especially in the rooms Evening meal not up to standard although breakfast was good. Had to ask for complimentary champagne and chocs as not in room. Gym didnt open until 9.00am when I wanted to use before breakfast. Overall definately not value for money (paid £195 for one night) Will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
NelsonNW, Manager at Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa. I can inform you that a number of our bedrooms, 26 in total, are due for refurbishment, which will commence in the New Year. All other areas of the hotel have been refurbished or updated relatively recently, with exception to the reception area which is also planned for a refurbishment in the near future, as we do continually strive to update our facilities and provide the best service possible. We are disappointed that the evening meal was not up to standard, we normally pride ourselves on the high quality food served here, and we apologise that you did not experience this on this occasion. We are not sure as to why you believed the gym was not open until 9am, as the gym always operates, without exception, from 7am to 10pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 9pm Saturday and Sunday. We are surprised that you did not find the Romantic Package to be of value as we normally receive comments to the contrary since for the total price of £195 one would receive an overnight stay in an executive bedroom for two people including evening meal, full english breakfast, use of the leisure facilities, bottle of Champagne and box of chocolates. We apologise for any disappointment and are sorry that you wish not to return.
bedfordshire, uk
Reviewed September 11, 2010

A beautiful building, staff really friendly, lovely big rooms - the typical venue for a romantic getaway. Although we arraived later than planned we still had time to use the pool which is open until 10pm, we also had a meal in the bar which was excellent. Just to top off a lovely evening we had breakfast in the room which made the trip perfect. Would definately return.

cheshire
Reviewed September 10, 2010

we stayed here midweek for one night for my 40th birthday. We booked the romantic package and feel this was excellent value for money. We payed 195.00 and had a fantastic room with a spiral staircase leading up to the upstairs suite, champagne on ice , chocolates and robes.We also booked a massage each in the spa which was lovely and used the spa facillities. The restaurant was great and we had a fantastic meal which we had a forty pound voucher towards when we originally booked the package. The hotel does room service which was ten pounds extra for breakfast to be delivered to your room, this was well worth it and you didnt have to get up early!!We would definetley go back midweek as it will get busier from friday to sunday.

Chepstow
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed here after seeing another review extolling the virtues of this hotel and its staff. We were NOT disappointed. The staff could not have been more helpful, nor more friendly - nothing was too much trouble. Travelling with a dog, it is often the case that the bedrooms allocated tend to be in annexes, or are bog-standard rooms waiting to be up-dated. This was not the case here - we were allocated a large room with patio doors giving direct access to a lawned area. Our dog was welcomed in all areas of the hotel, except for where food was being served, and this encouraged us to spend more time at the hotel itself, rather than out.
My only criticism was the ventilation and temperature in the room, which the hotel were addressing on our visit by installing air-conditioning. Our room was on the ground floor & was hot to enter, although having the patio doors to open was helpful. We couldn't leave these open at night however, and our daughter in a room in the first floor found her room oppressively hot.
We spent a morning at the spa/pool which was fabulous. There were only a few people there, so it never felt crowded, and it was deliciously relaxing. In hot weather they open the French doors to the patio area outside, giving a larger area to sit around the pool.
It was only when we got home that we discovered they have an offer -stay 2 nights and get 1 night free - that I felt a bit miffed because nobody had raised this with us whilst we were there!
I'd definitely recommend this hotel and plan to return some time in the future & stay even longer!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
north wales
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed here for one night only for family wedding. Had booked an 'executive double' with an estra bed for our teenager. When we finally got into our room (problem with keycard to get in) our 'executvie double' was nothing more than what I would describe as a 'standard' with a put-up bed squashed by the window. I did go down to reception as I wasn't happy considering I was paying £145.00 for one night only to find that the extra bed was just a put-up bed, and if that was the standard of 'executive' then dread to think what 'standard' would be like. Anyway, I was told that there weren't any other rooms availabe, and as we were there for a family wedding, I decided to leave it at that.
Breakfast wasn't the best that I had, and some items had run out and not replenished. Really enjoyed the grounds and had a great time at the wedding. Didn't use any of the spa facilities, therefore cannot comment. But because of the standard of room and mediocre breakfast, I wouldn't recommend and therefore wouldn't return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family