“First and last visit”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hotel looks great from the outside, but at £205 per night for a "Superior Deluxe" suite, it was more like a "Sub Standard" suite!!
If you take away the brown splashes up the walls, cracked sinks and mouldy taps, along with the peeling wallpaper hiding the mould covered walls, and the strategically placed chair in the corner of the bathroom to cover the patch up job on the wall, you can possibly pass it for average at best!
To have booked the room through the hotels website at £195 then to be charged £205 was astonishing. The girl at reception was very nice and said the error would be corrected, however my bank statement reads a debit of £205 was taken so nothing was done!

As a wedding planner, I was asked to stay at the Hotel to see how things run and the quality of the rooms and service.
I cant fault the staff one bit as they were very friendly and make you feel welcome, but the room was dreadful, and for £205 per night, very overpriced!!! Be sure not to stay in room 78!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank WoodyattWarner
Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Beautiful hotel!!!
Me and my boyfriend stayed her for night and loved it!
Not very close to main centre but the hotel are happy to call you a taxi, which cost us £6.
The room was small but very clean and cosey. Did get slightly to hot as we couldnt turn the towel heater off! The grounds of the garden are beautiful! The food in the pub is pricey but to die for!

I think our favourite part was the breakfast! We even asked to take some home made jams home!
The pool, spa and gym are small but just enough of what you need. Wish we had done some spa treatments to reviw them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at this hotel and it is gorgeous.
Positives first:
Reception gave us a fantastic welcome and spent a good while advising us on where to eat, drink and visit.
The secret gardens out the back are AMAZING, sat out there relaxing and could have been anywhere in the world truly 5 star
The grounds in general are fantastic with loads of places to sit and drink/catch-up etc.
The spa area is lush and also family friendly with a steam room, sauna, pool and Jacuzzi.
Negatives:
£6.50 a glass of house white
Deluxe rooms are tiny, I tried to upgrade when we saw it but there was a wedding on the next day and it was full.

Room Tip: Do not get a deluxe room, Definitely go for the exec or a suite
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. We picked it purely for the location as we were going to be visiting Cheshire oaks, the hotel is around 9 miles away.
My first impressions were good, immaculate gardens and the reception of the hotel was gorgeous with pretty water features. We got an amazing deal through late rooms and got the Sunday night for £48 whereby normally it would be around £100.
Check in was smooth and efficient, we were firstly allocated a twin room which they changed to a double without any grumbles.
Our standard double room was an adequate size and had a very modern clean bathroom (with a fantastic power shower!). My only gripe was that we were on the ground floor and had a conifer tree that was right outside our window giving us little light. Had I have paid the full asking price, I may have mentioned it but to be honest the weather was glorious so we didn't spend any time in our room.
We only had drinks at the hotel in the evening as we ate at another restaurant in Chester, but as expected the service was very pleasant and warm.
I would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tambourine55
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Absolutely wonderful hotel. We booked this through a deal voucher for £75. It included an overnight stay with breakfast with use of all facilities.

The hotel itself is beautiful. It radiates calmness and serenity. The decor is attractive throughout and it has an absolutely beautiful Japanese style relaxation garden. The swimming pool is just as attractive as in the photos, and the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were very enjoyable.

The rooms are comfortable, and ours being an executive double, was very large and roomy. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom really big (good shower too!).

Dinner you can have in their own restaurant or at the bar. We chose the bar and the prices were reasonable, but the food tasted superb. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and really good meat is used (not your typical English breakfast with cheap sausages!).

Staff were all very pleasant and we had such a wonderful stay. Definitely worth the full price if you can afford it. Would really love to go back again.

Room Tip: If you can get a room properly over looking the garden it would be beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I attended a wedding of a close friend last week.

I was a bit worried after reading some of the negative reports, but I needn't have worried. Check in was a breeze, friendly and swift. All we needed to know about the hotel and facilities etc. We were asked if we needed a hand with our luggage, but we declined! Our room was in the re-furbished part of the hotel and was a Superior, Room 73 was a delight. The room itself was huge with all the usual facilities. My only niggle was trying to control the space age air-con. The bed was enormous and VERY comfortable. The bathroom was similarly excellent, although some steps into the bath may be needed for those with mobility issues, other than that the walk in shower was excellent.

No problems with servicing the room as we had a superb breakfast delivered to the room on both days. The black pudding is probably the best I've tasted and the eggs perfectly cooked.. If you can, book a superior room, although we had a peek in one of the executive rooms and although not as new, were of a good standard.

The facilities in the hotel itself are of a high standard, the bar staff cheerful and friendly. The front of house staff are a credit to this hotel, no issue was too small and they really cared! We didn't eat in Nelson's, (Yes, I now know why it's called that, it's the name of the licencee, above the entrance to the bar.......), but we did eat in Ciro's.on the first night for dinner. I have to admit that the food was pretty excellent. I had the mushroom and truffle risotto followed by the pork belly....... yum. The wait staff were delightful and genuinely helpful when we asked about the various dished. Their knowledge about wine was very good and the setting very pleasant. Highly recommended. A credit to the hotel.

As to the wedding itself, the function manager was very professional, the setting was perfect as was the standard of catering which was pretty amazing. I have NEVER seen a room full of guests polish off their plates as I did last week. It is a credit the kitchens that they managed to serve nearly 100 meals piping hot, with the veg, perfectly cooked and the meat beautifully tender. I have eaten in many restaurants that could learn form this hotel!

In summary, I wasn't expecting much, but I went with an open mind and was more than pleasantly surprised, yes there were a few niggles, but these were minor and not worth mentioning. The hotel grounds are beautiful, although the Japanese themed ZEN area near the spa reminded me of Tenko..... The main garden is stunning.

I didn't use the Spa, but those of my friends who did, were full of praise.

I will be back, I just hope the pork belly will still be on the menu.....

Thank you Pulford Grosvenor!

Room Tip: If you can, book a Superior room. There was no noise and they are beautifully appointed. Room 73 is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sean B
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I booked through Superbreak at Thomas Cook. The location was perfect , a short ride into Chester with lots of parking but the park and ride is very close.The whole 3 day stay was amazing. The room; food, spa, and especially the staff, were all magnificent. we had dinner bed and breakfast and every meal was amazing. My wife requires a gluten free diet which in some hotels is difficult, the GP could not have been more helpful and accommodating, my wife was made to feel valued rather than a nuisance which is often the case.We will certainly return.

Highly rated.

Room Tip: 38 with a spiral staircase - wonderful
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple