Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Chester Court(Chester)
$100
$90
1,792 results
All reviewsnelsons barspiral staircaseciro's brasseriejapanese gardensensory gardensunday carveryexecutive roomlovely hotelwedding venuesteam room and saunawedding guestsafternoon teamy partnerleisure facilitieswedding receptionthe ground floorfrom start to finish
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had a one night stay to celebrate our first wedding anniversary (having had our wedding there we were offered a 'romantic package'). We stayed in one of the feature rooms (room 78) which was fantastic, obviously these rooms come with a more expensive price tag but for a special occasion they are definitely worth it . We also had a spa day package and the facilities were very good. We had the couples room for our treatment which was nice apart from i could hear the 2 therapists communicating with each other which was a little off-putting. The lunch in the spa was excellent. We dined in Ciros restaurant in the evening which again was excellent, we did wait longer than expected for our main courses but it was worth the wait. Service was also very good. We would highly recommend staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: For that special occasion room 78 is worth the extra money
1  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in a standard double room, here's the good and bad...

Good - Staff very friendly, food in the pub & breakfast was good. My husband recommends the steak in nelson's bar. Didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on that. The room and hotel in general were clean and tidy and the grounds were well maintained. Parking was plentiful. Spa looked beautiful but I didn't have any treatments. The hotel has a pool, sauna, gym, etc. which was great. Even though there were weddings on every day during our stay it didn't feel like they took over the hotel. Only 5 miles from Chester so great for sightseeing and for relaxing. Bed was very comfortable. Toiletries were supplied and shower was good.

Bad - We were in room 17 (ground floor) and it was small, just enough room really for a double bed, small set of drawers with TV on top and small built in desk. We just about had enough room for clothes but if you were coming for longer you'd struggle. The room we were in had a very odd window in it that looked out onto a corridor (very odd) this was also where laundry was brought in so could get noisy. The major noise came from upstairs though, there must be no insulation because we could hear every footfall (evenings, 1:30am and early mornings!). There was no air conditioning and the room could get very stuffy. You could open the window but not leave it open over night as it wouldn't be secure. The lights over the bed didn't work, didn't bother us too much but feel it's something that could be checked. Hotel has free Wi-Fi and was one of the reasons we picked this hotel over others. However the signal (when you could get it) was so slow that it was unusable. The pool was a little on the cool side and also a bit strange as the final step into the pool is huge so you practically fall in and there is a shallow shelf on one side without a warning so you suddenly scrape a leg when you're not expecting it.

Overall - I would stay again but only in an upstairs room and would try and opt for a bigger room if available.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the ground floor as lots of noise from upper floor, Would avoid room 17.
2  Thank AltiNaomi
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I have just spent the weekend here; we chose this hotel wholly down to the good reviews on trip advisor.

When we arrived at the hotel we checked in with no problems what so ever even though it was before 2pm, after check in we went into Nelsons bar for lunch the food was enjoyable and if in the area we would defiantly go back.

The room was a reasonable size for a standard. I really do not know why the reviews are so good I must be missing something. There was mould in the bathroom over the bath, a little bit of mildew spray here would have removed this, the edges of the carpets where not hovered using a nozzle of the hover would get rid of this dust, brown particles came out of the tap, shower and toilet very off putting, I am assuming this was due to old pipes? The water in the sink did not go down the plug hole so we had to brush our teeth over the bath.

We rang reception a couple of times, for an iron and ironing board and ice bucket and champagne glasses each time these items were delivered in a timely manner, no complaints
We went to the gym for a work out on both mornings; the gym was clean and bright.

All in all a nice stay, but I did feel the general cleanliness of the room put me off and for this reason I would not be returning.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hotel fantastic, staff excellent, food all freshly prepared and mouth watering. Japeneze gardens are a delight,
We booked a wedding in the Grosvenor Suite and the whole day was a delight. The staff looked after us and the venue was superb for a wedding. The wedding breakfast was all freshly propared, puiping hot and delicious.
Alcohol wasn't too expensive, even at these hotel prices.

Room Tip: If booking an executive room, asj for one that has recently been refurbished. . Wxcellent venue for a wedding
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Spent a couple of nights there with my girlfriend. We have really enjoyed ourselves. The staff was very nice, rooms of a good standard. Really enjoyed dining at Ciros, which was quieter, cleaner and fancier than Nelson's Bar. Nelson's, I would say, is just an ordinary pub serving ordinary pub food. The spa is nice, although myself I found the staff providing the treatments not very friendly / talkative. They were very nice, however, with my girlfriend, so, I guess, it depends. If the weather is nice, then you should really spend some time in the 'sensory' garden. That will really relax you and put a smile on your face. There are direct buses from the hotel (bus stop being a few hundred yards away) to Chester.
Two issues we have had, which could sometimes be deal breakers:
1. Was in room 68. The room was quite noisy. I'm talking about some mechanical noise that could be heard even with the windows closed. I would say, maybe coming from some machinery at the spa. We could also hear water falling. Again, not sure if from the waterfall at the spa, or the one at the hotel's entrance. Still, could affect your sleep if you are a sensitive sleeper.
2. Bed sheets were not changed when room was cleaned. We really didn't appreciate that ...

Room Tip: Some rooms might be noisy. Could not identify what's producing the noise, but suspecting it might be caused by machinery at the spa.