“Friendly but tired”

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Chester
london
“Friendly but tired”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff here were amazing, really anxious to help us and incredibly friendly. The hotel itself feels rather tired. A lovely spa and garden, but it needs decorating in the hallways. The restaurant is quite strange, mock-classical style and quite dated. We were in a comfortable room but our bedroom was up a spiral staircase. Downstairs was a sofa, upstairs the beds, difficult to get our cases up and slightly unnecessary! The spa treatments were wonderful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights for my birthday.

During our stay I had a 55 minute reflexology treatment at the spa which was very relaxing. The atmosphere in the spa was lovely, very peaceful and tranquil. We spent the rest of the day in the roman style swimming pool and used the steam and sauna rooms. The pool is large, clean and well decorated. It was never very busy when we were there. Children are only permitted into the pool at certain times which made it good because there weren't any noisy children splashing about while you tried to relax! There were relaxation chairs at the side of the pool and magazines for guests to look through. It was very relaxing lying on the chairs by the pool and there was a cute little mouse painted on the wall behind the chairs! (See if you can spot it!)

The hotel has two restaurants which were both very good. One is the bar and served typical bar-style food but was very high quality and excellent portion sizes. The second restaurant was a brasserie and had roman themed decorations with statues, pillars and frescos. The food was excellent and inparticular the canelloni was an enormous dish and tasted delicious! Breakfast was also served in this restaurant which was excellent! One of the best breakfasts we have had! The sausages were really big and juicy too!

The room was comfortable and clean. There were good tea and coffee facilities and a TV. It was a little warm during the first night due to the lack of air conditioning but apart from that it was great.

This is an excellent place to stay if you want a relaxing break. We would definitely like to visit again soon for more relaxation!

Room Tip: Perhaps upgrade to a deluxe or ask for an airy room or one with air conditioning.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed for one night with work and found this hotel as Carden Park was full. Room was slightly better and more modern, although not up to Manchester Hilton standards. The hotel felt like it was built from a series of extensions as the pool was accessed by walking through the restaurant. The restaurant decor was a very odd Greek/Roman type affair, but the food was good. All in our group have now made the switch here from Carden Park for future stays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We got married at the Grosvenor in Pulford on 5th September 2012. From start to finish, nothing was too much trouble for Natalie (wedding co-ordinator). The day itself exceeded our expectations and went without a hitch. Natalie, Maurice and Alistair could not do enough for us and the other staff in the hotel as well were so accommodating throughout. I cannot praise this venue highly enough. From start to finish, the whole day was amazing and my family and friends are still raving about it. We will go back for meals and probably our anniversary next year! i cannot praise the the wedding team highly enough. All wedding guests commented that it was the best wedding they had attended. What a great day.Thank you Natalie, Maurice and Alistair and all staff at the Grosvenor Pulford Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I chose this hotel for my hen weekend. There were many aspects of my stay that were very good... and some that were not so good. On the plus side, this is a beautiful hotel. I especially liked the cosy bar and the spa is the first one I've been to but I think it's the best I'll ever go to. It is absolutely stunning and we felt truly pampered. The food and drink was very nice. The hotel is also set in a lovely location which is perfect if you are looking for a place close to Chester that has more of a country feel so you can relax.
On the down side, it was expensive and the hotel weren't prepared to offer a discount for a hen party. The attitude was very much, we're sorry but we can get the business anyway! Fair enough I suppose but not the best customer experience. I was willing to overlook it just because I really want to stay in the hotel and a hen do is worth the extra cash. To be fair, the hotel did offer a free upgrade to a better room for me but to be honest, the room didn't look like the website picture and was more what I'd expect from a standard room somewhere else. It was pretty small and very average so that aspect was a tad disappointing. I also assumed that as the hen I would automatically be put in the right room but that didn't happen either and I had to go back to reception when I realised. Also, we moved tables in the spa and we ended up getting charged for another party's drinks bill. They phoned me in my room about it but I didn't realise at the time and thought some of my party hadn't paid. It was only later when we were trying to check out that my friends insisted they had paid. Unfortunately, the hotel didn't immediately accept this and caused a bit of a fuss. The guy on reception even suggested that perhaps we were mistaken because "sometimes people think they have paid, when they haven't". Oh dear. Anyway, we had to get the manager from the spa and she brought receipts over. Eventually, they accepted they had made a mistake but didn't offer anything for the inconvenience. They did say sorry but I left feeling a bit stressed. Did not appreciate that. I would have liked to give this hotel a very good rating but for these reasons, I can't give it higher than average. I would go back for a special occasion though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dizzy20
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

20 family members got together to celebrate our Aunty and Uncle's Golden Wedding Anniversary on 11th August. We all had a really lovely time. I have stayed twice before, but not since the refurbishment. The food, staff, rooms, bar and spa were absolutely superb and it was only a shame we were there for just one quick night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank catchloved
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have stayed at the Grosvenor Pulford a couple of times on one night deals. The spa and pool are very nice and all the hotel staff are very friendly and attentive. There is a substantial breakfast provided and the one night deals including dinner and great value for money- food in the italian style restaurant is very nice.

• Stayed April 2012