“Superb”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went to Francs with a family group - we were celebrating my parents' Golden Wedding. Never having been before, I hoped it would be a good place for such a special occasion - but I need not have worried. The staff could not have been nicer - friendly and helpful without being intrusive. Despite our being on the top floor and there being 9 of us we were all served quickly and efficiently.

As for the food itself, it was terrific. I had the Daube of Beef which was wonderfully tender, and served in a delicious sauce with very good mashed potato. One of the nicest main courses I have ever eaten, anywhere. My daughter had plaice in white wine sauce and enjoyed it very much. She followed it up with chocolate mousse, which I would like to comment on but she did not leave even a teaspoonful for me to taste.

The wine was a lovely, soft Cotes du Rhone which went very well with the food - those who had the fish mostly chose a rose wine and raved about it too.

Coffee afterwards was excellent too. Plus the restuarant had laid out the table beautifully in advance, including some 50th Anniversary balloons, and really went to trouble to make the occasion as special as we all wanted it to be. Thank you!

Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Popped in for lunch with the hubby. It was quiet as you would expect on a Monday lunch but we were made to feel very welcome. The lunch menu is simple with 3 choices for starter, main and dessert but was still difficult to choose as everything sounds so wonderful and I didn't want to miss out. I had black pudding and apple for starter followed by the plaice and ratatouille. My hubby had chicken livers followed by beef. The food is amazing!!! I cannot say enough good things about this place. I asked the waiter to pick a red wine for me and after a few questions he pick the most delicious wine which was just to my taste. His knowledge was outstanding. At £9.95 for 2 courses you cannot go wrong, the value for money is unbeatable!! This is a must try place if you are visiting Chester why make do with one of the branded restaurants when you can get proper food and service here!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Dined at Francs for a friends leaving party. We where shown promptly to our tables by a lovely waiter who was very helpful and talked us through the menu. Everyone in our party had a very enjoyable evening and the food was equally as good as the service provided by the waiter. The restaurant was very stylishly decorated which created a lovely ambience for a great evening. I will certainly be going back for seconds!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

3 friends and I visited Francs on Tuesday 25 September and had the 3 course meal for £11.25. There were two guitarists playing which added to the atmosphere. The food and service was excellent. We had chicken in a wine, cream and bacon sauce topped with cheese and breadcrumbs for starters which was gorgeous, and I even asked the chef for the recipe, which he gave me. We all paid the £3 supplement for the steak as our main course and it was one of the best steak I have ever eaten, it melted in your mouth. 3 of us had desert but I was too full. When we left we were all given a piece of apple tart to take home with us. I could not fault the food or the service and would recommend this restaurant to anyone. I had visited Francs two weeks earlier with another friend and again the food and service could not be faulted.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have been visiting Francs since it originally opened way way back. Over time it went off the boil but we were sad to see it close, as we don't need another empty building in Chester!!
Anyway we were pleasantly surprised to find it had reopened, refurbished and with a really enthusiastic staff. We were taking friends out for a "thank-you" evening and we were not let down. Our waiter turned out to be one of the owners and he loves his food and wine, and indeed has a good knowledge of France and didn't falter under pressure from my wife and I who are ardent Francophiles. All the food we had was fantastic and when the wine we ordered wasn't available we were upgraded foc to a similar wine and it was great. We will visit again and would recommend highly.