“"great restaurant"”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Dined at Francs for a friends leaving party. We where shown promptly to our tables by a lovely waiter who was very helpful and talked us through the menu. Everyone in our party had a very enjoyable evening and the food was equally as good as the service provided by the waiter. The restaurant was very stylishly decorated which created a lovely ambience for a great evening. I will certainly be going back for seconds!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

3 friends and I visited Francs on Tuesday 25 September and had the 3 course meal for £11.25. There were two guitarists playing which added to the atmosphere. The food and service was excellent. We had chicken in a wine, cream and bacon sauce topped with cheese and breadcrumbs for starters which was gorgeous, and I even asked the chef for the recipe, which he gave me. We all paid the £3 supplement for the steak as our main course and it was one of the best steak I have ever eaten, it melted in your mouth. 3 of us had desert but I was too full. When we left we were all given a piece of apple tart to take home with us. I could not fault the food or the service and would recommend this restaurant to anyone. I had visited Francs two weeks earlier with another friend and again the food and service could not be faulted.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have been visiting Francs since it originally opened way way back. Over time it went off the boil but we were sad to see it close, as we don't need another empty building in Chester!!
Anyway we were pleasantly surprised to find it had reopened, refurbished and with a really enthusiastic staff. We were taking friends out for a "thank-you" evening and we were not let down. Our waiter turned out to be one of the owners and he loves his food and wine, and indeed has a good knowledge of France and didn't falter under pressure from my wife and I who are ardent Francophiles. All the food we had was fantastic and when the wine we ordered wasn't available we were upgraded foc to a similar wine and it was great. We will visit again and would recommend highly.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Dined at Francs tonight with two friends of mine, the service was impeccable and the male waiter we dealt with had a superb knowledge of wines. When we requested a chianti he informed us that they only stocked french wines, but was able to come up with a replacement that matched our tastes perfectly. Which was very impressive, because the last place I ate at didn't even know what chianti meant!

The female waitress was just as helpful. We ordered the Duck which unfortunately came out very dry, almost as if it had been left on heat for several hours instead of being cooked fresh. I was unable to eat it and had to send it back and make another order which was the goats cheese cous cous.

The goats cheese was poor quality and tasted quite cheap and the cous cous lacked quality as well. After speaking to a friend of mine about the experience after we had left, she repeated my sentiments. I left feeling unhappy and somewhat stressed.

The décor is superb, the waiting is fantastic but unfortunately the food was very lacking. I think this restaurant would benefit greatly from employing a superior chef, then Francs could compete with the more upmarket dining experiences available in Cheshire.

2  Thank Jack D
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

It is many years since I visited Francs and had not realised that it had changed hands and been refurbished.

My partner and I had an excellent three course lunch that more than met our expectations.

Our starter of Alsace bacon and chicken was outstanding as was the confit of duck that I had for main - my partner chose plaice that was reported to be excellent.

Finishing off with French Apple Tart rounded off a really excellent dining experience. We will certainly be visiting again.