“Plush Spice Chester w/c 19th May” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plush Spice - CLOSED

Plush Spice
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Thai, Balti, Eastern European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Chester, United Kingdom
“Plush Spice Chester w/c 19th May”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Prompted by the rave reviews, we gave this latest Curry House a go.
The restaurant is excellent inside - a huge step forward from the Gamekeeper. The service was very good; friendly staff and prompt table service. Unfortunately, it appeared that some of the customers of the Gamekeeper hadn't realised it was a restaurant and sat at the bar gulping Cobra while texting each other. Good revenue for Plush but it didn't give a good impression to me - especially as they took it in turns to nip out for a fag and bring in their smelly smoke with them.
I asked for a bottle of wine. It was not opened at the table nor did it look like it had had a cork in or foil on it. It was a pleasant enough wine but I'm not entirely sure it was what I ordered. Why didn’t I complain? I really didn’t think that it was worth the fuss; I wanted a nice stress free evening.
My partner's entree was flaccid, tasteless and unappetising. Mine was plentiful but boring, the tomato was the most exciting taste on the plate,
My partner's main course was just dreadful; bouncy chicken in a sauce. Mine; cold bouncy lamb in a hot sauce of no complexity. I was disappointed to have chopped coriander stalks as the garnish - no leaves to be seen. The rice and naan were nice though.
As I paid, I saw no wine bottles behind the bar. It's a feature of even the smallest venue to have its wares on show.
I really hope they remove the clutter from the bar, it just doesn’t look right and smacks of the bad old days of the Gamekeeper.
The doubts about the wine, the gentlemen at "bar" and the utter failure of the food to excite means that this restaurant will not be recommended at all. We’ve been eating in Chester’s curry houses since they turned up; there is just too much choice in Chester to give this another go.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank RangpurRoger

Dutton, United Kingdom
“Trumps the Indian Brasserie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

It was long rumoured following the demise of the unspeakably awful watering hole The Gamekeeper (whose interior better resembled The Star Wars Bar rather than your welcoming local boozer), that its former site was to transform into a curry house. Finally, after much speculation and anticipation, it happened.

Whilst the building remains a featureless, unprepossessing cube, the interior is entirely unrecognisable from the venue's previous incarnation (thankfully). Upon our last visit, my mixed kebab starter was pleasing (though a bit pricey), but the main course of murgh massalam - chicken tikka swathed in a delightful mincemeat sauce - was highly palatable and constitutes one of the best examples of this particular dish of which I have partaken.

The service was largely decent (though they were slow in taking our drinks order), and it is a bit concerning that it seems to perenially operate only at half-capacity. It would be a shame to see a restaurant of this caliber hit the skids, as in my personal opinion the food on offer here is signally superior to that offered by its nearest rival, The Indian Brasserie, which seems to have gone off the boil of late.

Plush Spice is definitely worth a visit, particularly if you're after a better standard of curry as well as a more upmarket experience than you're likely to receive by patronising one of Brook Street's town centre Indian establishments (think funeral parlour atmosphere whose solemnity is occasionally punctuated by the presence of the inevitable loudmouthed, drunken idiot). You ought to try it out.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adam-Gould
trayciem
“Nicest curry in a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Visited last night for the first time as they have just won a silver award for best curry in chester and also great reviews, had high hopes and wasnt dissapointed. It was lovely inside but i was only having a takeaway this time, Food was still hot when i got back to the wirral ( 25 min drive- worth it) and both our meals were delicious, we had bhajis, poppadums, chicken korma and veggie murghi both were delicious and we would certainly go back and recommend, hard to find if you aren't from the area as its in a residential area but its worth the trip .

• Visited April 2012
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Went last night.
Best Indian meal i've ever had, and believe me i've had a lot.
Staff were attentive but not pushy, management made us feel very welcome, food was unbeatable, well cooked, beautifully presented and boy was there a lot of it.
Excellent price for the amount we had, 4 poppadoms/pickle tray, 2 mixed starters, 2 main courses, 2 nan breads and rice plus 2 drinks each, all for just over £40, an absolute bargain !!!
Oh, and the 2 complimentary liqueurs just put the icing on the cake.
What more can I say apart from I will be back when Im in the Chester area.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Best Indian in Chester at the moment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

So impressed with this place we're regulars in here now. First time we went in I was impressed by the food, waiters were curteous and attentive. We got a 2 for 1 voucher as we left encouraging us to go again and a free digestif to finish with.

Since then we've been back almost weekly. The food has always been good and they've recently added a raft of new dishes which is keeping me very untreated at the moment (the chicken breast stuffed with lamb mince is Devine).

We're treated as valued customers now with most if the waiters popping over to say hi when we go in. They never have problems hosting us and guests even when we had 15 of us for my fiances birthday a couple of months ago.

No reason for me to go to any other Indian at the moment