“good base for family”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked 3 rooms for 3 generations of family as a base to visit Chester followed by a day at the zoo. After reading reviews I phoned the hotel to ask for refurbished rooms and were given rooms on the first floor, (if you decide to do this try 01244 332121 and you should get direct to the hotel, the central reservation office was useless and kept giving me wrong numbers} the rooms were fine but typically corporate ,i.e fixed shelves and overhead lights rather than bedside tables and lamps etc but the beds were comfortable and it was clean, I found it strange there was no guest information book, i.e how to dial another room, work TV, information on WiFI, info on spa etc. When I rang reception to ask for one they simply said they didn't have any! The hotel was very quiet probably as it was a Sunday which suited us fine but there was no-one on reception to book us in and when someone did appear she couldn't manage a smile, likewise when we wanted to book taxis, no one around. However the location is great, we booked 2 taxis which cost £5 each o take us to the amphitheatre and it was easy to drive to the zoo, the pool was fine and the children enjoyed a swim late afternoon. We decided not to eat in the hotel and walked to the Harvester along the road which was a good choice for a family, although it was busy and we had to wait for a table. Breakfast at the hotel was fine, pretty much what you would expect, self service with plenty of choice and a very cheerful and helpful waitress, one of the few members of staff we saw! So would I stay again? Yes for this type of family base at the right price, If I wanted a luxury break with my husband I would chose somewhere more individual and expect to pay at least twice the price so it depends what you want but as a base the location is great

Room Tip: phone ahead and specify any requirements
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. For future information the Guest Service Directory is now interactive and on the television as a green initiative.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

An Accor traveler
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

A hotel which provides free WiFi is a plus. Breakfast is always excellent and fresh. A 30 minute walk to the City Centre. The receptionists are not always friendly. They should smile more.
The garden at the back of the restaurant is really pleasant and you are bound to see a visiting hare running through the brush.
I didn't have any hygiene issues, bathrooms and toilets were always cleaned.

• Stayed: June 2013
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Reviewed September 2, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

So I come here for a wedding and everything to do with the wedding was amazing!

We had a room here which luckily we was the first door on the first floor so we started off happy.

The room was small not worth £60.

Had very basic layout and facility's.

Was woken up by hovering at 3:30am.

Drinks prices are crazy. £5 for a pint, £8.40 for a ameretto and coke.

Breakfast was ok. Standard stuff, coffee, fry up, toast.

The place looks fab! Can't fault anything design and style wise other than the room.

Great staff and friendly service.

• Stayed: August 2013
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Had a wonderful time, lovely tidy room and very attentive staff! Breakfast was lovely and a lot to choose from. The pool, jacuzzi and sauna were great to use and topped off our stay. Wouldn't go anywhere else to stay in Chester it's the perfect location as its only a 5 minute drive from the city centre!

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife in August. Check in was very quick and efficient , we had a room on the ground floor near to reception which was recently re decorated and although not overly large it did the job ! We had dinner on both nights of our stay and were looked after by phil and clara . Food was delicious and the staff were very friendly. We mentioned to phil that we were thinking about visiting the mercure in Leeds and when we woke up in the morning he had left us the hotel information under our door, thank you ! Breakfast was very nice - lots to choose from and hot food ! We look forward to visiting again soon !