“Tired accomodation but great staff!”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Tired accomodation but great staff!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I would like to offer my thanks to the staff at the Mercure Chester for the excellent service we received when we visited the hotel for my friends hen weekend. From the moment we (15 of us) arrived we were looked after very well. We received a warm welcome from the Duty Manager, Paul, the barman Matthew but a big thank you must go to Sean on reception. As the organiser of the hen-weekend i was constantly asking Sean for assistance from adjusting meal reservations to booking taxis for us, he always gave service with a smile . THANK YOU SEAN! The hotel itself is a little worn around the edges but if you can see past that you will enjoy your surroundings. The food was lovely, breakfast was plenitful with so many options. The rooms were large enough, i stayed in a triple room with 2 fellow hens and we managed ok. The only thing for me, that stopped me giving a 5 rating, was the fact that there was very limited cocktail choices, surely the management must have known 15 hens would wants to indulge in a few drinks in an evening :-) Thanks again, i would not hesitate to stay here again when I come to see the rest of your beautiful city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angieg_7
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Paul, Matthew and Sean, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and I’ll make sure we address the cocktail issue for you!

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

James Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I would suggest that this hotel is deigned for an overnight stay & not a holiday, since there was only one draw in the room & that contained a second set of towels.
Fortunately my wife & I were only there for the one night. Our son bought us a Red Letter DB&B for a night at a hotel of our choice from a list. This was our choice. The meals were very good but we were told that we could have the table d'hôtel or to the value of £22 from the a la carte, which basically meant 2 courses or pay the extra, which I thought was a bit petty.
One advantage was that we could park the car in the hotel car park, walk about 100 yards & catch a park & ride bus into Chester for £2 each return.
Sleeping was dreadful, as it was a hot night, no air con. & a busy dual carriageway close by.

1 Thank DennisC560
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. The dinner allowance however does allow you to take a three course meal from the daily changing table d’hote menu which generally has at least 4 choices for each course or choose the from the a la carte menus which is individually priced.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Surrey
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel staff was very helpful and polite in accommodating the wishes, needs and wants of our 15 strong hen party. Particularly helpful was Sean on reception - always a smile and nothing was too much bother. The hotel was very, very busy on the Saturday of our stay with two hen parties (including ours) and a wedding on site. The only issue was at breakfast the next morning when lots of things were 'missing' from the buffet, but not a major issue, we were well fed.

My room was as expected from a Mercure, comfortable, warm, and functional. We were there as a Hen party and the hotel split us up across the entire floor. It would have been better for other hotel guests for us to be bunched together as were were frequently visiting friends, knocking on the other doors of our group and in and out of each other's rooms. We were very worried about disturbing the other guests.

There is no air-conditioning at this hotel. This wasn't a problem for me (I rarely see the need), but if you expect it from your hotel room, be prepared to plug in the fan from the cupboard in your room.

Room Tip: If staying not as a party of guests, ask the hotel to be located away from any groups/parties.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dht240
Dear Trip Advisor

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

yeovil
Reviewed June 23, 2013

stayed at mercure hotel chester,daily mail offer.could not have been better value,£135
for 2 nights b&b plus one dinner .included.rack rates for all food would have been £72.so for two of us a great deal. Food excellent,staff courteous and helpful.Great indoor pool&gym.We have booked two more trips on this offer Such good value.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for ground floor room

Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

my wife, and i. stayed only 2 nights,which was a shame,given the close proximity,to chester town centre, and all its attractions.the staff, are acredit to the hotel. also the rooms are comfortable.many thanks for a enjoyable stay. denis and jackie failes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank rosehelen
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now, twice when it was Ramada Jarvis and now once when it has changed hands. I have paid a different price each time I have stayed here, the last time I stayed I paid £50 (midweek) for the night, just for the room, if I wanted breakfast that was an extra £10!! Little bit pricey. I paid for breakfast the first time I went and wouldn't do it again. Especially since the food just isn't that great. (There is an Asda round the corner) Every time I have stayed here, the rooms have been clean and I like how the price of the room includes access to the gym, pool and other facilities, this one of the main reasons why I keep going back. It is an added bonus to be able to relax in the sauna/ Jacuzzi.

The hotel is close to the city centre which is convienient and about 15 minutes from the zoo. (which I love).

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in particular, they all have either views onto a car park or a badly kept co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Paid £225 for one room, two people, for two nights B&B. No rapport at reception, just robotic questions and directions. Everything in the room was 'sticky', the remote, light switches... everything. Cracked floor tiles in the bathroom and no shower curtain (by design... even though the floor got soaked). Thin hard towels, wafer thin toilet paper and only two tea bags! You have to use your room towel for the swimming pool or pay extra. There was only one small drawer for the whole room and one small open hanging rail, no wardrobe, no bedside cabinets, nothing.

Asked for tea three times at breakfast before we got any. Breakfast staff were friendly and helpful, but just seemed dis-organised. Only one milk available for cereals, no choice, no labels on anything. Fried food was okay.

If we had paid a third of the price, this would have been okay... ish. Everything in the hotel seems geared up to economising, well I do that at home so that I can go to a hotel and enjoy my stay!

Lastly, cigarette stubs littered the entrance and people were smoking by the front entrance. As I'm not a smoker, this is not acceptable to me. We chose Mecure because we wanted something better, we never got it.

Room Tip: Read review first.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely