“Break with Friends”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel very good, staff helpful and friendly. The location was excellent due to the park & ride being just a few minutes away. The breakfast really good value with excellent choices. Overall we would happily use this hotel again or this particular chain of hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Mix of good and bad ... Could and should definitely do better.
The good:
1. Reception staff friendly at check in.
2. Room clean.
3. gym small but does have kit that works.
4. Room cleaned each day; fresh towels and toiletries.
5. Offer price for 2 days bed and breakfast with evening meal on first night.
The bad:
1. The room could do with a refresh. looks a bit tired, would benefit from redoration, new furniture, fittings and pictures. Bathroom most in need of refresh. Very dated, mirror frame damaged.
2. Evening meal - edible but not great. I am not a big eater, but portions were small for each course. Mushroom risotto rice was mushy, although mushrooms in it tasted good. It was also meant to come with garlic bread, but didn't. Wild berry and drambuie ice cream in filo pastry tasted like it had been deep fried, but there was hardly any ice-cream. Almost all liquid. Definitely not worth the full price. Not really worth the offer price either.
3. Seb Coe gym. First day no towel provided despite reception specifically saying they did this. Second day (Sunday) I requested a towel and got one (but none was offered without a request)... But as I arrived I was told the gym closed around 8. I questioned this, as the sign outside said last entry 8:30 and close at 9, and was then told well start to close 8ish, most people leave by 8:15. Again, I said it says you close at 9. I was told it was closing in next 5 mins at 8:27. Again, I said it says 9 outside. I told person in gym I would be reporting this, and the fact that when I came in he had initially said 8 ... Which he then said he hadn't said. I know what I heard. He said 8 initially. Reported this to reception, where the person there thought it did close at 8! I pointed out that all we had to go on was the sign outside the gym with opening times as no info in room. I said I didn't mind it closing at 8:30 if I knew about it, as I would have come earlier to get my whole gym session in. If you change the opening times, change the sign! Person on reception said info taken out of rooms as it was in the process of being put on the TVs. I would have thought getting it on the TVs and telling customers it was there before removing info from rooms might have been a good plan!
4. No information in rooms re: breakfast times, check out, facilities etc. When we rang reception to ask about this we were told these were no longer available but the information was available on the Internet. Not sure how that was meant to help, as not everyone has internet access. This was before the gym incident and the wifi.
5. Wifi, but you need a code. We assumed it was chargeable as this has been the default for Mercure hotels (standard room) for as long as we have been using them. Again, no-one mentioned anything. We checked TripAdvisor reviews before we booked, but I can now see that very recently the manager has started responding to reviews saying that wifi is availble free. It might be a good idea to get your staff to tell the customers about that! No-one mentioned it to us.
6. TV signal not good.
7. Walls very thin. Can hear people next door and in corridoors to the extent that it disturbs sleep. Next door got up very early and woke us up. People on corridoor can be heard above TV!
8. Breakfast has gone downhill significantly. We have stayed in several Ramada Jarvis / Mercure hotels, but not this one before. Staff again polite and ask if want tea or coffee but no other info whatsoever and if you don't know to ask you don't get. No information on table about this; at other hotels in the group staff have explained and / or there has been information on the table. We are both vegetarian, but no alternative offered, we had to ask. Fruit selection appalling; grapefruit segments, prunes, 2 types of melon (one of which looked very tired on both days). Big dish of natural yoghurt, no flavoured yoghurt (large or individual), cooked breakfast items not replenished just before ran out.
In summary: place could do with a refresh but at least is clean. Staff are generally friendly but do not offer services to customers and customers don't have written information to tell them what is available. This is not good customer service. So, unless you ask for a towel for the gym, veggie alternatives at breakfast, wifi, the parts of your evening meal that don't arrive you don't get them. Most of this information isn't available to the customer so bizzarely you need to know what it is you aren't being told about in order to ask for it!
To make it as good as it should be you need to refurb rooms and corridoors, and tell both staff (so they can tell customers) and customers what services are available. This needs to be available to customers throughout their stay as reference, whether on leaflets, signs or on the TV. All sources of information also need to be consistent.

Room Tip: Ask for one which has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I was disappointed to read that you were told that the guest service directory was only available on the internet as it has recently been put onto the interactive televisions. I am assuming that this caused confusion with the team here and I will be relay the change to them once again to help us improve. Wifi is free and the code is advertised at Reception and in the bar, but again I will ensure that the whole team are made aware that it is free and what the code is.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and received a very warm welcome by reception. As we were on a dinner rate we went straight through to dinner as it was late (9.30pm) Considering the restaurant closes at 10pm the staff did not seem put out and were very helpfull. The food is highly recommended, only thing I would say is maybe have a salad on the menu but otherwise gorgeous. If you have dinner over the weekend I would recommend booking a table early on as the restaurant gets very busy.
Breakfast was also good and set us up for the day, lots of variety and always stocked up.
Room was comfortable, we had a family room and was spacious enough for 3 people.
Chester Zoo is less than 10 minute drive & is definatly worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just come back from a 3 days holiday in chester , we didnt know about this hotel but my friends sugested if we could meet here for get together.appearance of the hotel is not sk inviting but actually its very nice inside.checked in was quick and the lady by the reception was friendly and helpful .we did use the bar everyday although its bit pricey its ok for us because we dont drink much.our room was always clean a d tidy thanks to the housemaids.we had a dinner on first night the food was ok and the service was fine thanks to laura Who look after us.the main highlight of our holiday is the breakfast it was so tasty and very well cooked.the staff are very nice and helpful. Thank you very much to sisa and her team for looking after us every breakfas actually we learnt to speak italian,filipino and slovack t
As they not only served food and tea but they were so friendly.we will come back again for sure and would recommend this hotel to everyone we know. Its a great holiday ever.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Cisa, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto her and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

myself and my sister stayed at this hotel for six days and we where very happy with the staff and service they gave ,the rooms was very clean , it was nice that we had a choice of which floor we wanted our room on which i thought was a good thing ,my sister had a difficult time in finding what to eat as she likes more of the homecooking ,but for myself the food was lovely and we would go back to this hotel , we had a great time thank you

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stay in the Chester/Wrexham area on business on frequent occasions and this was my first stay at this particular hotel but I'm afraid to say my overall impression was average at best.

I would normally write a review by highlighting the positive experiences first but there weren't many of those!

One of the biggest concerns raised its ugly head before I even got to the hotel - as I was unfamiliar with the location I followed the directions on the hotel web-site (I don't have a sat nav device) and their directions are inaccurate! They advise to leave the A55 at junction 2 but that is wrong - you actually need to leave the A55 at junction 40. Not a good start and such a basic error.

The check-in process was painfully slow, there was a queue of people waiting and yet there was no sense of urgency shown by the staff member, and no apology offered for the delay.

The bedroom itself was adequate, although the door to the room seemed on the small size but this may be a symptom of the cramped area immediately beyond it. The bathroom was a touch on the small side - OK if you're staying on your own though. The bed was fairly comfortable and the pillows were good. Wifi was available in the room but it required a code, which was not offered to me at any point.

I didn't eat in the hotel but did go into the bar area for a drink later in the evening - unfortunately there were no members of staff present at that time and I had to go searching for one (despite there being 3 members of staff behind the reception counter at that point, in line of sight of the bar area where I was stood waiting). When the staff did turn up, they were very pleasant to be fair and the service from then on was fine.

My overall impression was therefore on the negative side - I think there are several better alternatives to stay at in the area and so I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SJTravel242

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 5, 2013

firstly afew negatives :l
No wi-fi for a 4 star hotel! (there is in the lobby but not in the rooms)
paid wire connection
room needed a hoover

apart from them it was a very plesant stay with the best buffet breckfasts ive had in a long time.
the staff were all professional and pleasant expessially the woman on reception and the front of house at breckfast.

would definatly stay here again and would reccomend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tank3rs
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

I’m pleased to announce that wifi is now available in all bedrooms and is free of charge. There will shortly be an option to purchase super fast wifi in addition to the free service should you wish to stream movies for example on your laptop or tablet device. I anticipate this being in place by early April.