“Lovely hotel”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and received a very warm welcome by reception. As we were on a dinner rate we went straight through to dinner as it was late (9.30pm) Considering the restaurant closes at 10pm the staff did not seem put out and were very helpfull. The food is highly recommended, only thing I would say is maybe have a salad on the menu but otherwise gorgeous. If you have dinner over the weekend I would recommend booking a table early on as the restaurant gets very busy.
Breakfast was also good and set us up for the day, lots of variety and always stocked up.
Room was comfortable, we had a family room and was spacious enough for 3 people.
Chester Zoo is less than 10 minute drive & is definatly worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just come back from a 3 days holiday in chester , we didnt know about this hotel but my friends sugested if we could meet here for get together.appearance of the hotel is not sk inviting but actually its very nice inside.checked in was quick and the lady by the reception was friendly and helpful .we did use the bar everyday although its bit pricey its ok for us because we dont drink much.our room was always clean a d tidy thanks to the housemaids.we had a dinner on first night the food was ok and the service was fine thanks to laura Who look after us.the main highlight of our holiday is the breakfast it was so tasty and very well cooked.the staff are very nice and helpful. Thank you very much to sisa and her team for looking after us every breakfas actually we learnt to speak italian,filipino and slovack t
As they not only served food and tea but they were so friendly.we will come back again for sure and would recommend this hotel to everyone we know. Its a great holiday ever.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Cisa, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto her and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

myself and my sister stayed at this hotel for six days and we where very happy with the staff and service they gave ,the rooms was very clean , it was nice that we had a choice of which floor we wanted our room on which i thought was a good thing ,my sister had a difficult time in finding what to eat as she likes more of the homecooking ,but for myself the food was lovely and we would go back to this hotel , we had a great time thank you

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stay in the Chester/Wrexham area on business on frequent occasions and this was my first stay at this particular hotel but I'm afraid to say my overall impression was average at best.

I would normally write a review by highlighting the positive experiences first but there weren't many of those!

One of the biggest concerns raised its ugly head before I even got to the hotel - as I was unfamiliar with the location I followed the directions on the hotel web-site (I don't have a sat nav device) and their directions are inaccurate! They advise to leave the A55 at junction 2 but that is wrong - you actually need to leave the A55 at junction 40. Not a good start and such a basic error.

The check-in process was painfully slow, there was a queue of people waiting and yet there was no sense of urgency shown by the staff member, and no apology offered for the delay.

The bedroom itself was adequate, although the door to the room seemed on the small size but this may be a symptom of the cramped area immediately beyond it. The bathroom was a touch on the small side - OK if you're staying on your own though. The bed was fairly comfortable and the pillows were good. Wifi was available in the room but it required a code, which was not offered to me at any point.

I didn't eat in the hotel but did go into the bar area for a drink later in the evening - unfortunately there were no members of staff present at that time and I had to go searching for one (despite there being 3 members of staff behind the reception counter at that point, in line of sight of the bar area where I was stood waiting). When the staff did turn up, they were very pleasant to be fair and the service from then on was fine.

My overall impression was therefore on the negative side - I think there are several better alternatives to stay at in the area and so I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SJTravel242
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 5, 2013

firstly afew negatives :l
No wi-fi for a 4 star hotel! (there is in the lobby but not in the rooms)
paid wire connection
room needed a hoover

apart from them it was a very plesant stay with the best buffet breckfasts ive had in a long time.
the staff were all professional and pleasant expessially the woman on reception and the front of house at breckfast.

would definatly stay here again and would reccomend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tank3rs
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

I’m pleased to announce that wifi is now available in all bedrooms and is free of charge. There will shortly be an option to purchase super fast wifi in addition to the free service should you wish to stream movies for example on your laptop or tablet device. I anticipate this being in place by early April.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

thats right... dont be put off by the outside.....this is a pleasant hotel, but.... i thought mercures were a fairly upmarket brand...wrong!!! the staff were all very pleasant, polite, and helpful....and they cant be responsible for the building. it is a little tired!!
we were staying on a KGB deal which seemed very good value - 24 hours in an upmarket hotle and pool and spa. we arrived quite early, to take advantage of an afternoon by the pool and were allowed to check in at 11am which was excellent. we went to our room on the ground floor....oh dear... the corridor was very marked and in dire need of a makeover...the room was well past its best - it would have been quite comfortable and nicley decorated, but there were holes in the wall where a fitting had been ....the dimmer switch on my side of the bed didnt work, there is no mini bar, no drawers at all, no chest of drawers and no drawers in the bed sides...so our undies were on full display in a shelf unit, there was some veneer missing around the tv and most of what was there was lifting away, there were stain marks on the mirror frame in the bathroom, and the shower was very weak. in fact,m im not very tall - 5.9 - and the shower head was about 2 inches above me, so anyone much taller than me just wouldnt get under the shower without stooping....room wasnt very quiet or soundproofed and the radiator was uncontrollable - it seemd to comeon and off at will....
on the plus side, the big was nice and big - 2 singles zipped together but without any apparent joint - and.....that was about it!
coffee int cafe ?? we ordered 2 coffees and a panini at 11 30....we were the only guests in sight ...coffees took 10 minutes ot come... the panini arrived at 12 10...!! i was on the verge of cancelling it when it finally came long after we'd finished coffee. for which i was charged £13 !!!
so we chose not to eat in the hotel - £22.95 for a steak !! and went to a harvester 100 yards away which was excellent.
breakfast ! pretty much what i was becoming to expect...which is was disappointing, and sure enough the breakfast was disappointing. we had to wait 15 minutes....coffee came very promptly, but the buffet....it was very limited....fried eggs, beans, tomatoes, bacon, mushrooms,and saute potatoes. the sausages i was told would be 10 minutes... and there was no sign of any fried bread. why no sausages? what poor management allowed the kitchen to completely run out of a breakfast standard....but what i had was all pretty good. my partner elected to wait, and then went for the sausage and fried bread.. why deep fry sausages - dont you put them in the oven?? they were very hard on the outside and very fatty....ugghhh glad i didnt bother.
so, all very disappointing....the staff were all lovely (apart from the eejit who couldnt time the sausages and fried bread) but the place really lets it down. comfortable, and for £59 good value, but i wouldnt have paid any more for it......and i cant see me returning. in fact, i thought mercure was an upmarket brand, but if this place is anything to go by, i am wildly wrong, so thanks KGB for educating me, and i will avoid Mercures all together in the future. was that the point of the promotion ??? i suspect not, but an own goal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thelawyer

Dear Trip Advisor

I was a little confused with your response as you start out by saying that this is a pleasant hotel and the staff were very pleasant, polite and helpful but end by saying you would not return in the future. Anyhow, thank you for stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well and writing a review.

I do hope that you will return in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I and our 6-year-old daughter stayed for 3 nights on our half-term break to visit Chester, the Zoo and the North Wales coast.
The hotel is very well located for all three of those destinations.

The shuttle bus from the Park and Ride just a short walk from the hotel is very convenient and an excellent way of getting into the city centre quickly and cheaply. It was great to be able to leave the car in the hotel car park and hop on the comfortable bus which runs frequently and gets you right into the city centre in about 10-15 minutes.
£2 return for adults and children travel free.

The Zoo is a 10 minute, easy drive along the ring road. Llandudno is less than an hour's drive.

The hotel was very good value for what we paid - a special deal via Le Club Accorhotels at £219 for 3 nights including breakfast.

The breakfast was very good - a self-service buffet with plenty of choice, and tea / coffee served at your table. The helpful staff were happy to make a hot chocolate each morning for my daughter at no extra charge. (The barman in the lounge also prepared a warm milk as a bed-time drink for my daughter one evening, again at no charge - a very welcome gesture).
Cost of breakfast is £10 per person, with children's breakfasts being free of charge which I think is a nice bonus.
I would say the breakfast was excellent value and of good quality.

Our room was adequate, nothing special but certainly up to expectations for this standard of hotel and for the price paid.
The hotel is 'low-rise' but being on the ground floor was not noisy; the car park separates the hotel from the main road and we heard no noise at night.
One slight grumble was the lack of storage / cupboard space for clothes. There is a rail instead of a wardrobe but with a bit of imagination we managed to get most of our stuff out the way.
Tea and coffee-making facilities in the room were fine, and the inclusion of biscuits was a nice touch. We would have appreciated better replenishment of teabags as we ran out on the one day we had a cup in the afternoon aswell as in the morning.

The bathroom was fine and the toiletries plentiful and of good quality.

The swimming pool came in very handy for our daughter and was one of the reasons for choosing the hotel. We used it every day after returning from our travels. The male changing area could have been cleaner and would benefit from more frequent visits by a member of the cleaning staff, as people have to walk into the changing area in their outside footwear and it was difficult to avoid getting dirty feet.

My wife and I both felt the pool tiles looked a little on the grubby side too, and maybe it could do with some refurbishment. The dim lighting perhaps didn't help.
Having said that the pool is a good size - you can have a proper swim in it albeit a short one - and there is a shallow end for children, as well as a separate small children's pool for little tots (which I think is 06m deep).

We found the staff generally to be helpful, friendly, polite and efficient. I've been fortunate to stay in some 5-star hotels so you do have to adjust your expectations but we had no complaints at all.

We had dinner one evening and it was good to be able to 'mix and match' with total flexibility from the bar menu and the bistro menu. If you just wanted a starter and a desert, or one dish from the bar menu and another from the bistro al a carte menu, it was no problem. This flexibility was much appreciated as we didn't feel up to having a full-blown dinner.
Prices were a little on the high side, but that's fairly normal in a hotel.
I had a curry and it was very good. Service was excellent.

The ambience of the 'bistro' wasn't great but this is always a challenge for a hotel which has to double-up its breakfast room as a restaurant in the evenings.
The children's menu was good and not limited to the usual nuggets and burger options.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay and we would return, although probably subject to getting a special deal again rather than at full price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family