“Nice Hotel but out of town”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night while on a bus tour of England. The hotel itself was clean and modern with a breakfast included and we had a nice dinner there. Rooms were clean and functional. Beds were comfortable as well. Although it was in a nice suburban area, it was not within walking distance of any restaurants or the town. You may have had to walk for a while to get to town. There were no problems I encountered in our stay here and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (1,624)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

this hotel is fab its close enough to chester if you are a good walker. the food was excellent even though we were booked on a mystery weekend with a bus company we got excellent service and the food was really top class. the leisure facilities were ver good too although it didnt open until 8 on sunday morning . the rooms were spacious and clean would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: choose a bottom floor if yoy struggle with stairs as there is no lift
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our definition of excellent customer service is that the customer should feel as though they are the "only customer" at the time. We were given this experience at check-in, restaurant, breakfast and check-out. Great service overall within the hotel and excellent hygiene standards. We also got parking in the first space, immediately outside the front door.

Room Tip: Our room was no 550 and it was quiet + peaceful. Only views were of the back gardens and walkways a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I booked this '4 star hotel' for a 2 night stay and we were very disappointed. We are Accor Silver members and used our accumulated vouchers towards some of the cost, had this not been the case and had we not prepaid the remaining cost we would have left after seeing the room and looked else where. This Hotel needs a complete refurb, the room was shabby, dark and gloomy and simply NOT what you expect in a 4 star Hotel!!! The wastepaper bin in our room was full of the previous occupants rubbish. I cant believe the Receptionist said she had picked us a 'NICE' room, I dread to think what the rest are like.
Not for us and the room in certainly NOT like the photograph thats shown on this site.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

We are working through a programme of decorations in the hotel and I can only assume that your bedroom was one of the ones that have not been complete. Perhaps when you are next in the area you could contact me personally and I will ensure that you receive one.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Thank you Phil Goodman for great Xmas party on Friday 11th January 2013. Felt very welcomed, fantastic professional service, great food, very well organised! Would definitely recommend to everybody and would definitely will come back to you again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Phil, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto him and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Good location for a short taxi ride into the center. Rooms are very simple but perfectly adequate. The brasserie is expensive and there are plenty of good restaurants and pubs in the city so avoid eating and drinking there.

We did eat there one night as it was included with our deal. Good food - all quite simple dishes. Service was very friendly but food was delivered to the wrong table and orders had been confused so we waited quite a while in total. Like I said - I wouldn't eat there anyway.

Most hotel gyms consist of a 'fitness suite' with a couple of exercise bikes and a rower but the Seb Coe fitness club was actually very good (it's open to the public). It's a very basic gym but far more than you'd expect from most hotel gyms. There's a selection of free weights and a barbell bench. There's a number of resistance machines a pulleys too. The fitness room has two treadmill, two cross trainers and a couple of bikes and rowers.

The pool isn't fantastic if you're into your lane swimming as it was quite busy with adults and kids but it's good for relaxing. There's also a jacuzzi, a sauna and steam room. Full changing/shower facilities, towels and goggles provided too.

Breakfast is also very good given the price of the hotel. There's a good selection of hot cooked English breakfast and fruit, yoghurts, cereals, toast and croissants for the continentals.

There are quite thin walls and if anyone was being noisy in the corridor it could be heard - I think we got lucky with fellow guests - not an issue for us but suspect it might be if a group of lads/girls got back at 4am after a night out!

Overall: excellent value and will stay there next time we visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Nothing wrong with this hotel but nothing to rave about. We had a pleasant stay. Room was spacious and had all the amenities - although could do with air conditioning.

Food was ridiculously priced.

Staff very polite.

Location was ok

We paid 115 for one night and it did not include breakfast.

If I went to Chester again I would not choose here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. With regard to air conditioning we do have a number of rooms soon to be reclassified as privilege bedrooms which all have air conditioning, Nespresso coffee machines, upgraded bed and bedding, robes and slippers included in the price. It’s only a shame that we did not have these complete in time for your stay as I am positive that you would have found these more to your satisfaction.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely