“Fab hotel!”

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Croydon
“Fab hotel!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

On a KGB deal for 2 nights which was a great bargain. Room very good size. Hotel staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Swimming pool/sauna area great, not too busy. Good choice at breakfast, it was very busy on the Saturday but still not much queuing needed. Had nice meal in hotel restaurant (with free bottle of wine) on the Saturday. If weather is good thoroughly recommend walking to town via canal route. Took about 35/40 mins but that's a slow walk. Cab to/from Cheshier Oaks Outlet Village around £11 but well worth a visit. Thank you to all the staff who made this a very enjoyable break!

Room Tip: Possibly only critique would be room 215 was nearest to the stairs so people thumping up and down th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobCroydon
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
birmingham
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

After finding a special offer online I telephoned and was offered an upgrade to a double suite, as it was an anniversary break I decided to pay the extra. What an excellent choice that turned out to be.
The room was spacious, clean and well appointed, and the staff really couldn't do enough for us.
We will be returning for a Xmas shopping trip to Chester and will definitely be stopping there again

• Stayed October 2012

Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

From the moment we chose this hotel for our wedding we have been extremely pleased with everything, nothing is ever too much trouble for our wedding planner clare laird.

During our wedding on saturday(20/10/2012) we were superbly looked after by paul and his team from the minute we arrived at the hotel, we cannot rate the hotel and their staff highly enough. Our evening reception was looked after by dominic and once again he was amazing making sure everyone was looked after and being on hand the whole evening ensuring both myself and my husband were happy with everything from the room set up to the buffet.

Myself and my husband would like to say a huge thankyou to everyone at the hotel for making our wedding a stress free and truly amazing day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto Claire, Dominic, Paul and the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. More Star Awards on the way to the team!

chester
Reviewed October 21, 2012

this review is more about the day than the hotel we only stayed the night on the twentieth the room itself was fine for an overnighter.i attended a wedding at the hotel and from the moment we arrived to the minute we left we were totally looked after special mention must go to paul the manager who was so in control without being pushy the day was so smooth and well run you couldn,t fault it. food was of a good standard and probably just enough although i did manage an extra portion of sticky toffee pudding.night time we partied until just past one-o-clock and again i can honestly say the buffet provided was the best i,ve tasted and the only real downside was the price of the drinks proper chester prices but that,s the price you have to pay,don,t often spend 90 quid and still be sober even if it wasn,t all on my drinks breakfast next morning was again plentiful and set us up for the day. so if anybody fancies a wedding package you could do far worse than booking here.once again a big thank you to all involved in making spence and kelly,s day so special and trouble free

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto Paul and the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked this for myself & my 3 daughters birthdays, as 1 was 9 while we were here & the other 2( who live away from home) have birthdays in Nov so was good excuse for everyone to get together.
From the moment we checked in the staff were lovely & helpful & professional, they couldn't do enough for us and this was true with every1 we encountered the whole weekend.
Rooms were lovely & spacious & spotlessly clean, I don't know how anyone could complain about them.
Towels were changed daily & rooms cleaned.
We used the pool every day which was very nice & warm, towels provided when you got there too which is a help..
The Sunday was my daughter's 9th birthday, I rang reception & asked would the breakfast staff put a balloon { I had bought ) on the table with some presnts I went down to the restaurant with the gifts & staff were so obliging & asked what time did we want to eat & they'd ring when table was ready.
We came down to a lovely table & the staff had put on an extra balloon too , my daughter was delighted, she got a box of Magic tricks & a lovely staff member , Mark Owen , let her show hm her " eyeball falling out & nail through the finger " trick. He was really lovely with her & still did his job too.
Breakfast was great with a really good choice of menu, and plenty to eat, again staff were fabulous and so helpfull, nothing was too much trouble.
I cannot rate this hotel or ALL of the staff, highly enough & we would definately like to come back.
We have been on numerous weekend breaks this year , but this was definately the best so far.
We had booked on a Groupon deal, but I would definately stay again at usual price.

Room Tip: Didn't use the spa so can't comment but would definately come here again
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DEE-DEE1960140660
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto Mark and the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. Well done Mark, Star Award on the way for you!!

Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I were on a tour, joining 43 others. In our writeup, this hotel was called "Mercure Chester East Hotel", for which TripAdvisor did NOT have any entry for it. It might have been its former name.
Shower faucets in the UK present a challenge until you get to know how it works. One knob is for temperature, the other knob is for strength of water coming out. And the knobs are very hard to grip when your hands are soaped. Laundry-line in bathtub is nice.
Room was decent-sized; radiator looks like one of those old ones to heat the room and looks retro-fitted and when it needs an explanation on how it works....
Location is terrible if you do not have a car, as it is away from everything in town and nothing much by it.
For dinner, we had 3 choices in appetizers, entrees and desserts. Food was good, though there were complaints that it was too salty. I had the Hake (white fish), good, but very small portions and I was still hungry after the meal - not usually a good sign.
---
I also included some photos from Chester, the Eastgate clock area, as TripAdvisor also did not have any place to put this attraction.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank dragon789wv
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. Next time you visit, why not try the park and ride into Chester it is situated right next door to the hotel and runs every few minutes. It is extremely reasonable and covers the one mile to the city centre very quickly.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I came with a group to celebrate a friends 40th: we had a web based deal. The staff could not have be more helpful: check in was a dream and they let us display some pictures of the birthday girl in and around the hotel.

The rooms were clean and nicely finished. The bathroom was fine and the shower worked perfectly. It would have benefitted from more tea/coffee: whilst it was nice to be offered fruit teas, more than 2 normal tea bags would have been welcome.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel and that was fab. The hot food was replenished regularly and there was a large selection of cold offerings, too. We we not rushed out of the restaurant and sat chatting with tea and coffee until nearly lunchtime one morning.

It did take me a while to be served in the bar and I know others in our party had a problem with that, too.

The hotel was not in the city centre, but it was only £4 in a cab and the reception staff were helpful in booking taxis and even pointed out when someone was heading to the same venue so we had the option to share transport!

Overall we had a great stay and I would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends