“Just a few tweaks needed to make this hotel excellent!!”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel. Fab deal booked on KGB deals. Reception staff excellent, the bar area was really lovely. Rooms fine albeit very warm, didnt appear to be any air con, but we just opened all windows. Decided to take advantage of the special 3 course deal in the brasserie.(£22) The food was fabulous, excellent presentation and delicious, however the service left a lot to be desired. It took us 2 and a half hours to have the meal. We were kept waiting a long time, one of the starters was wrong when it arrived, and our dessert order was completely lost. Unfortunately a lot of the restaurant staff appear to be very young and inexperienced. Such a shame as the food is so good. We found the breakfast on the sat morn the same, with no staff around at all. I had to have a walk around the restaurant to find someone to fetch us tea and coffee. There was a really long queue of people waiting for the buffet breakfast. However, the sunday was completely different with lots of staff, and very attentive. Overall, we really enjoyed our weekend and would definately visit this hotel again. Really hope they take these few minor points on board!!!

2  Thank av776
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. I have made a note of your concerns regarding service in the restaurant and will be speaking to my Food & Beverage Manager about them

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Apologies for reviewing late - I stayed here in April.

I had a pleasant room overlooking a courtyard garden. I'm a light sleeper and my room was quiet except for my third night, which was disturbed by rowdy guests in the corridor. Luckily I travel with ear plugs, so I soon masked the disturbance.

Breakfasts were very good. We ate at the hotel in the evening twice - one of those meals was our conference dinner, which was lovely. There were no complaints about our meal in the main restaurant either. One of our party was missed off the order, but she was not charged for her meal, to compensate for its late arrival. The tap water in the hotel tastes rather funny and this even taints the tea, but the hotel has supplies of bottled mineral water available for guests.

I was attending a conference at this hotel. The staff were all extremely helpful and accommodating - nothing seemed too much trouble. We were given every assistance to make our event run smoothly.

Downsides? Some of the rooms are a long walk from the main facilities and the hotel is a fair distance from the centre of Chester, but I wouldn't say either of these detracted from my stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LDClogs

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We visited this hotel again last weekend with a larger group of friends. The hotel was busy, 40th birthday party, hen party, our group of 33 and other guests. However, as before, we were impressed by the friendliness, efficiency and courtesy of the staff. We made full use of the leisure facilities and the bar. For what we paid for 2 nights accommodation with breakfast ( which was good value for money) and our evening meals ( again good value for money) we were mopre than happy. One member of our party was so impressed he felt we should return again next year!!
Thank you Mercure East. However, you may want to look at the decor and flooring on the stairs and on the walkways of the second florr, and the water pressure in the showers could do with tweaking from a slow stream to something a bit more powerful. Minor points but worth looking at.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank candjaydeebee

Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. As I type we are installing a pressure set to the hot and cold water systems to combat this very problem and I hope that this will be fully installed before the end of October.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Nice enough Hotel overall but rooms not exactly not exactly 4 star standard. The room we stayed in was a bit shabby, although my Mother in Laws room was a bit nicer but pretty small. The Staff were all very friendly & attentive. The Breakfast was very good but Dinner just average. The pool was nice & lovely and warm. The Bar area was also nice & modern with a good ambience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SupremeMitch

Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. Since your stay we have recruited a permanent painter and decorator who is making a massive difference to the bedrooms, when you next stay please contact me directly so I can ensure you receive one of these.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night as it's very reasonably priced. I paid about £59 including breakfast, and this was a summer offer through the Mercure website (30% off with a free glass of Pimms for each guest on arrival). I have stayed at a couple of other Mercure hotels and most differ in decor and service but usually always have a decent offer.

The hotel is quite modern, decent decor. To check in only took a few minutes, was very quick and efficient. The lady that dealt with us was pleasant.

Our room looked nice; the bed was huge, although the bed was two singles joined together, which I'm not keen on in a hotel. There wasn't much storage space at all but for 1 night we weren't unpacking so it was fine. We had a computer although you pay for wi-fi, and there was an AC unit in the room. Our room was on the ground floor just in front of the car park, and as soon as we walked in we could hear the noise from the main road. The window was shut but it was quite an intrusive noise. On passing reception we asked if on the off chance there were any other rooms available and the lady on reception moved us without any trouble. She was very accommodating. The new room was much quieter, which was great. The only downfall was that there was no A/C unit but this wasn't a problem for us.

We decided to go to the bar to claim our free Pimms and have a few drinks and some snacks. I showed the voucher for the free drink to the barman and he said to take a seat and he would bring it over, now that's good service! There was a nice little table just next to the bar so we sat and waited and watched the barman serving other people and then chatting with the other staff. We ended up waiting for about 20 minutes before I asked at the bar how long it may take before we could have our drinks. A little while later I went to the bar to order another drink for myself and my partner. All I had was two ten pound notes, which my partner had given me as I had left my bag and purse in our room. The drinks came to £10.40, so when I offered the two tens the barman asked if I had the 40pence change; I didn't and my partner had gone to the gents so I said I would ask him when he returned, if that would make it easier. Just to make it clear the barman kept both tens just in case my partner didn't have the change. When my partner returned he gave me the change to give to the barman and when I did the barman took it, put it in the till and closed the till. I asked about the second note and he said I hadn't given it to him. I was so humiliated in front of the other people waiting at the bar, and in front of his colleague. In the end he reluctantly said something along the lines of "well, I can't prove that you didn't give it to me" and gave me the money. Also, that night we ordered some nachos and waited well over an hour for them. Later the barman came and apologised for the delay earlier and confessed that he had made a mistake with the money; he brought over another drink on the house. It made a difference to know that he cared that we were happy when we left, although I was quite angry at the time and unfortunately you can't erase bad experiences.

The breakfast was great; there was a great selection on the buffet. The hot food was of a decent standard, and was quite regularly replenished as the items were running out. This is something most hotels I ave stayed at do not do on a hot buffet. You could also order other items off the menu if you didn't fancy anything on the buffet.

Overall, it is a nice enough hotel for the price (although I would not call it 4*) with great breakfast but I would not stay there again. There are plenty of hotels in Chester which do not cost much more, and for me the experience was ruined by the service I received by the barman.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are noisy but have air conditioning. Rooms in the courtyard are nice and qui...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank preciouspixies
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I was very disappointed to hear of your experience in the bar and I would very much to like to speak to you to find out a little more so I can investigate further.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Aside from the staff, our experience at this hotel was horrendous! We were unable to take a shower on our first nights stay due to the water turning off whenever we tried to turn the hot water on. We were told that we would be moved to a new room the following morning and that £50 would be refunded for our first night.

The following morning we called reception to ask where we would be moved only to be informed that there were no rooms clean and available for us to move to. We had to have baths to tie us over until we were moved into a new room. Upon arrival back to the hotel that evening, our belongs had been transferred to our new room and the shower was working, however the water pressure was almost non-existent.

The bed in our new room was a zip together bed however the seems didn't match up and which made for a very uncomfortable experience when rolling over. Also the springs in the mattress on one side of the bed were sticking through causing even more discomfort. Add the uncomfortable bed to the ridiculously loud noises within the hotel hallways and neighbouring rooms and you can see why it resulted in an extremely sleepless night.

Never again.

2  Thank millyr75

Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

As I type we are installing a pressure set to the hot and cold water systems to combat this very problem and I hope that this will be fully installed before the end of October. In addition to this we have sourced a new bed and we will be starting to roll this out across the company very shortly.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a very modern and quite large hotel close to the city.The room we had was small but adequate.The included breakfast was good and plentiful.We had a restaurant meal on the first evening.The fish pie I had was very disappointing.I had expected a lot of fish with a modest amount of potato on top.What I got was a lot of potato with a modest amount of fish underneath.I have had much better fish pie at Wetherspoons for a lot less money.For just an overnight stay (e.g.when on business in Chester) it is fine.For a holiday I would like a bit more space in my room

1  Thank John W

Dear Trip Advisor

I was disappointed that everything was not to your complete satisfaction, when you are next staying in the area please contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive a larger bedroom.