“Will never stay here again.”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Chester
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Will never stay here again.”
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

we arrived here for a 2 night stay. We were given a room on the 2nd floor (222). As soon as i walked in i nearly fainted with the heat. i had to walk out whilst my husband put the fan on and opened the door to let some air in. The windows were wide open but no air in the room. It was like a sauna for the whole of our stay and we heard lots of guests complaining. There was dust all over the furniture and a chair in the room that looked like it had been picked up from a skip! The toilet would not flush properly either. There wasn't much light coming into the room so we had to keep the lights on even during the day! The bathroom was also really really dark and there were cracks in the ceiling. Good luck if you plan on staying here in the summer, you certainly won't need to use the sauna, just sit in the room! This hotel needs air conditioning.

• Stayed May 2012
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel on Tripadvisor.com

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay due primarily to the heat in the hotel and I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for this. To counter this we are in the process of installing air conditioning in some of our bedrooms, which will agree will be a great benefit to future guests.

Once the air conditioning is installed I would hope that we could have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Nice hotel, good value for money. Very friendly and helpful lady on reception. Rooms nice. Walking distance to Chester Bus and Ride which is a handy way of getting to Chester as parking is the city centre is expensive and difficult. Breakfast a help yourself buffet which was good. Swimming pool very good. Didn't have dinner. Wifi worked fine in lounge area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim H
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The whole weekend was superb! Staff, rooms, food ambience could not be faulted in any way.
It was a special occasion, & the staff could not have done more to make this a weekend to remember.
They accommodated our every need, & we will definitely be using this hotel for future events

Room Tip: Several rooms were booked & they were all as good as each other
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank yvonnesquance
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your summer ball with us. Please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Sunny Suffolk
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed for two nights on a Mercure break offer which worked out to be pretty good value for money, two nights room & breakfast with dinner on first night. The restaurent and dinner was fairly good, nothing gourmet but quite reasonable quality and service. Better than The Ring O Bells up the road, see separate review.
Staff helpful and friendly. Room comfy with all amenities but small bathroom and hot as no aircon. Room looked out over car park and the local busy road network so could not have window open to get some fresh air. Great location for exploring Chester as just up the road from the Park and Ride which makes life so very easy to get in and out of town centre. Great walk around the city walls, highly recommended. Breakfast ok but little fresh fruit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Hubby and I stayed for two nights in room 135 on possibly one of the hotels busiest weekends with the Chester races on as well as a dinner and dance on the Saturday evening, we used the lovely jacuzzi, pool and sauna and had a very nice meal in the Arts restaurant which I would definitely recommend but....and the big but is unfortunately I cannot recommend this hotel for the quality of sleep I suffered from. Noise pollution in the room was high, we could hear people walking up and down the corridors and bedroom doors slamming as the soft closing mechanisms seemed to be non existent, we could hear a tv on all Friday night and somebody in a room near to us snoring very loudly. I also found the mattresses extremely hard and very noisy which on a romantic tryst is not exactly condusive to marital relations.... However the response from reception was very good and when I mentioned on the Saturday morning how uncomfortable my sleep was they did try to remedy the situation with a mattress topper and neither is it it is the fault of the hotel that they had either a heavy snorer or somebody that required a telly on all night. My gripe was with the constantly banging bedroom doors, the quality of the six month old matresses( I found this out on check out) and the general tiredness of the room itself - bathroom was very nice in comparison and the rooms themselves were spacious and airy - also I tend to sleep on the edge of the bed facing outwards and the duvet only hangs about four inches over the side which meant a constant tussle with the other half to gain some covers. Plus points are the food, especially the £20.12 meal deal, the breakfasts ( very tasty), the way our complaints were dealt with- very professional and genuine, the pool and it's location, But I would recommend taking ear plugs to block excess noises and if you like a softer better quality matress try Premier Inns.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sharon-Ann R
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies about the condition of your mattress and the noise you experienced during the night. We are in discussions with representatives of the owners regarding long term capital investment and I hope that we will soon be able to start addressing some of the issues that you have highlighted in terms of noise and bed comfort.

I was however delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and service from the team in the restaurant and also the way in which your concerns were dealt with by reception. Please be assured that I will pass your comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to hear your feedback.

Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on 24th May for my girlfriends 21st, could not have asked for anything more. The rooms were very clean, good set out and really comfy beds. Great location with a nice walk down the canal to Chester City Centre. The staff were very professional, friendly and helpful. Two in particular that stood out was Gary behind reception and Laura behind the bar. 100% recommend this hotel.
Christian

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto Gary, Laura and the rest of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We have just stayed for 2 nights in the Mercure and was very impressed with the friendliness of all the staff, the manager should be very proud of his team. It is the first time we have stayed in Chester and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful city. Our short break was very enjoyable and staying at the Mercure made it even better. The food is very good, the atmosphere is brilliant and the location is perfect. If I did want to critise anything the rooms are slightly dated but clean so that it the main thing. Will look forward to our next visit

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hazel R
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will be delighted to read your feedback.