“Average hotel. Good staff service.”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Average hotel. Good staff service.”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Me and my family recently stayed here during a trip to Chester. As other reviews have said its definitely not a 4 star hotel.
If you can get your stay for the right price it's fine.
The leisure facilities were great and we got good use of them even though we only stayed 1 night.
I found the staff very friendly and helpful but I was extremely disappointed in the length of time it took for our evening meal to come . It took over an hour which was fine for me and my wife but for my 5 and 10 year old it was unacceptable especially when the dinner room wasn't even that busy .
All in all the hotel and rooms are fine if your looking for a night or 2 getaway with the family . If you get your stay for the right price and dont set your expectations too high its fine. as like I said its more a 3+ star than a 4 .

• Stayed April 2012
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your stay. I was pleased to read that you found the service to be of a high standard but disappointed at that the length of time it took for your dinner to be served to you.

I am pleased to report that I have recently recruited a very experienced Head Chef, who will be looking into this and I’m sure will make a big improvement in this area.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Excellent hotel for location and service. The only let down was our room was looking a bit tired and in need of some attention. The window did not close properly which would have been a problem apart from the fact that we had to keep it open because of the heating being on. We could turn the radiator off but not the hot water pipes that ran through the room. All the staff were very helpful and the food was great. We stayed in a family room which is basically a normal room with two extra beds put in and there was plenty of room for the four of us. The swimming pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna were all a great addition to our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was pleased to read that you found the service and location to be of a high standard but disappointed that the condition of your bedroom failed to meet your expectations.

We have recently spent some time repairing a number of windows in the hotel and I hope that your room was picked up in this.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Hi to all at the mercure stayed for a weekend while over for the grand national the staff absolutely first class the bar man informative and extremely friendly while busy all the time was still able to have a chat.The girls on reception friendly courteous and ever so helpful. The breakfast was yummy and cooked fresh with a good selection the only 2 negatives were the par prices slightly expensive to say the least also in my room a mirror was stationed opposite the bathroom door which made the hall look bigger banged my head off it when I cane out of the bathroom also the carpet could do with a slight clean other then that a super good value for money hotel which I would have no hesitation coming back to thank u to all the staff for a lovely time

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was delighted to read that you felt that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you were well looked after by the team here.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Derby
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed here for two nights bed breakfast and evening meal. We were lucky to find a good deal by phoning the hotel directly. The room was ok but as the receptionist stated, they are looking to plough a load of money into the hotel to update it. The pool and leisure facilities were very good, but the evening meal was very slow being served - the fault of the kitchen staff as the waiters were working their socks off! Location was good- a 30 minute walk along the canal into Chester and close to the motorway. Overall a good break but definitely not the four star rating as advertised as it is in need of a lot of money to be upgraded and a very slow wait for the meal.

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was disappointed to read that your evening meal took too long to be served to you, please accept my apologies for this. I’m pleased to tell you that I have a new very experienced Head Chef starting shortly and I know that this is something that he will want to look into.

I am in the process of talking to our owners about a ten year investment plan following the recent purchase of the hotel and I hope on your next visit that you will start to see the improvements that we will be making.

Orpington
Reviewed April 14, 2012

You get what you pay for - 3 night for family of 4 for £190. Rooms were ok, decent size. Pool broken for most of the stay - pretty annoying but one of those things. Staff and service average. Breakfast was good but the evening meal was poor especially for kids. The worst quality burgers ever, don't eat there go to the Ring O Bells instead, only .5 mile away and loads better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was disappointed to read that everything wasn’t to your complete satisfaction, particularly with regard to your evening meal and the service you received, but pleased that you mitigated your concerns with some nice comments about breakfast.

Manchester
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We were looking at hotels in Chester for awhile and eventually settled on the Mercure Chester East, because although it was 2 miles out of the city, it had leisure facilities which we were keen to use. On arrival we were told the leisure facilities were out of use and staff couldn't guarantee they would be available during our stay. Obviously, the staff cannot help this but when I explained that I only booked the hotel for the leisure facilities and would therefore like a refund and to leave, the staff showed little sympathy and were to be fair, sarcastic in tone. The receptionist went and got the customer care manager who told us in no uncertain terms that because I'd paid only £60 for the room he couldn't refund us and there was nothing he could do. I tried to explain that I'd booked something that I wasn't receiving and therefore regardless of what I had paid I should be entitled to the refund and be able to leave. He then proceeded to give me a series of unrelated examples of why we couldn't get a refund. In the end he offered us a complimentary bucket of beers to the room and a paid for taxi. Sensing we were getting nowhere, we accepted. The bucket of beer never arrived. In the end I had to put the woman behind the bar (who was very nice) in an uncomfortable position by asking for our free drinks and she had no knowledge of this. We were given a glass of wine and a Guinness and not the bucket of beer were were promised.

In the end, we never did get to the use the leisure facilities- we were told through the TV/computer messaging service that they were out of use until 10am the next morning and considering you have to check out not long after this time, there seemed little opportunity or point.

To top it off, the room was very small, dark and dingy (114) it was right near the entrance so very noisy. The heat was unbearable- I did not sleep at all and having the window open meant excess noise. The iron and kettle did not work properly. The only mirror is the room was near the trouser press and meant I had to stand up here to get ready in the dark. The bathroom had clumps of dust hanging from it and there was no shower curtain in the bathroom which meant the floor was wet and dangerous after having a shower. As for the bedroom- the chair was disgustingly dirty. The bed was hugely uncomfortable- made worse by the excessive heat and just one limp pillow each. You could hear all the comings and goings from the hotel as it was next to the entrance. I was so exhausted I couldn't even face going for breakfast. We quickly got ready and left. When checking out, the same Receptionist who we dealt with the day before didn't even ask if we enjoyed our stay no did she apologise for the day before. Being so tired (and since the reception was fairly full) I didn't have the inclination to complain anymore- I just wanted to go. I will never stay at a Mercure again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was extremely disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I would hope that you would accept my sincere apologies for this.

Unfortunately despite being very regularly serviced there was a failure in a piece of equipment in the leisure plant room that meant that the water did not heat and could not go through the usual cleaning processes. This meant that it would have been unsafe to let you use the pool and after a while it would have also been uncomfortably cold too. I was pleased that you were offered something as a gesture of good will but disappointed that this never materialised for you and I know that my Operations Manager has been in touch with you since to talk to you further about your concerns.

Please don’t hesitate to either contact me or my Operations Manager when you are next staying in the area and I’ll be delighted to ensure that the standard of accommodation you receive meets your expectations.

James Lake

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2012

This was our third stay in this hotel, and I think in the past, we have been quite lucky as we have had large modern rooms!! This time we were given a rather small tired looking room. We decided to ask at reception if there were any larger rooms available and fair play the lady gave us a different room to try, which was quite a bit larger even though it was a twin!
The beds were quite uncomfortable and we only had one pillow each. There was also only one hand towel and bath towel in the room even though it was a twin room with two people in it!!
Drinks in the bar area are pretty costly but the service was very good!!
You could also not fault the food quality and service in he restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was delighted to read that you felt that you received value for money and good service from the team here.

I am in the process of speaking other owners of the business about replacing a large quantity of beds in the hotel and I hope that next time you return to us you will feel the difference.