“surprisingly good”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights recently with our 2 children and thought it excellent value for money. Yes the exterior looks like a dated motel but inside the furnishings are clean and bright. Staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and when I realised I,d forgotten a facecloth one arrived at my room even before I,d walked back from reception. How,s that for good service ? We had two single beds in the room for kids which is much better than the usual double sofa bed in family rooms. We all slept soundly because of the sliding wooden shutters so there is no road noise or light from outside. Unusually it was also possible to turn off the radiator in the room to stop the room overheating. The breakfast buffet had a wide choice of food and the pancake machine was a real hit with the kids. The swimming pool too was never overcrowded, a great size and and depth and changing rooms were clean and modern. Considering what we,d paid and what we had expected we were really impressed and I think it would be hard to beat if you want a base in the area for a few days.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chester South

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a DBB and tickets to Chester Zoo package, booked directly with Holiday Inn, which was brilliant value for money and close to the zoo. When I made the booking I told them it was my daughters birthday that weekend and the staff really went the extra mile to make my daughter birthday extra special. They left balloons and a card in the room and on our table in restaurant. The food was good and the drinks not over priced. The leisure facilities were good and more importantly all clean. Our room was a decent size family bedroom. But it was the service of the staff that made our weekend away so lovely. They were all very friendly and welcoming. I agree with other reviews that the exterior of the hotel could do with a face lift but please do not judge the hotel by it's first impressions. Inside it's clean and fairly modern. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a family weekend away in Chester.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Was expecting a little more from this hotel, it being a Holiday Inn as compared to the Chester Holiday Inn Express, which I satayed in the previous month.

On driving up to the hotel, first impressions were that it looked a bit shabby and run down and could do with an exterior face-lift.

Interior of the hotel was OK, as was the breakfast, but by the time I went into the dining room, there were not many tables left which were ready for me to sit down at as many still had the plates etc from previous diners, still not cleard off.

Location is a few miles outside the city centre, so a car is essential.

Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Andy_and_Mark
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Andy_and_Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate that this experience was not in line with what you've come to expect from the Holiday Inn name. We take all of the reviews we received very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I travelled for 12 hours to get to this hotel. Arriving at 18:30 I was very hungry and thirsty. Couldn't get a seat in the restaurant until after 20:30 so went to the bar to get a drink and some bar food. I queued for 20 minutes before giving up and going to my room - the bar man was making smoothies or milk shakes, individually, for a large group of kids who were in the bar area.
My room was at the opposite end of the building from the reception and it seemed like I had to walk for ages to reach the room.

Receptionist was very sympathetic to my situation but there was nothing she could do about it.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Ray C,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I apologize for the issues you encountered with the bar service and room allocation. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. If your travel brings you to the area in the future, we hope you give us another chance.

Zelyn N

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This has to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms were laid out in a maze and we walked forever to get to our room, only to find out that if we wanted ice we had to walk all the way back and try to get some from the bar. The bartender really seemed put out when I asked for ice and then only gave us a bit in the bucket. There were areas in the hallway where you had to avoid walking in certain spots or you would trip in the hole under the carpet. The hotel did not seem very clean and the room we were in was very out dated. I laid towels on the couch before sitting on it because it looked like it carried every germ that ever passed through there. You could tell it was where a lot of coach tours stopped and they concentrated on that as their main business. I will not be staying there ever again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear grapeeyes,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments online. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

I am disappointed to read that your experience was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had and for the shortfalls you have encountered. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here as part of a group of 8, we were doing a tough mudder, and thought this would be the ideal place to stay.

The staff were friendly, and professional, they booked us taxis into town on a couple of occasions.

The rooms were a good size, clean, fresh towels etc, the decor was a bit dated, but we didn't mind at all.

We stayed on a room only basis and got told we could buy a breakfast costing £11. When we got to breakfast the following morning we were asked for our tokens. We weren't told about having to pre book, we were then told because we didn't have a token that it would cost £15 if we were paying on the day. Luckily the person on reception let us have it for £11.
The breakfast wasn't worth £11 never mind £15, basic cereals, breads, and all the stuff for a fry up. However limited amounts of things, waiting for bacon to be cooked, etc.

Went for a drink in the hotel bar on the first night, the barman was busy so he asked us to take a seat and he'd come and take our drinks order. About 10 minutes later he walked 15 yards to our table, we ordered 4 drinks, he walked back 15 yards, and then brought our drinks to us, with a bill including a service charge! Thought this was a little cheeky considering he'd asked us to sit down because they didn't have enough staff on

All in all I'd recommend the hotel for a couple of nights, I'd bypass the breakfast, which i did on our second morning.

Good base for Chester, just a couple of minutes away, and decent prices for rooms.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear AndyDurant,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay specifically with breakfast and with bar service. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Karen Gray
eMedia Coordinator

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just had a night in this hotel on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal booked through Mistral. From the outside the hotel is very 70's looking but to be fair it is a lot better inside.
Our room was quite spacious but very basic and not quite as clean as it could have been. The bathroom floor was a little dusty and I wasn't sure if the carpet in the bedroom had been thoroughly vacuumed as there were quite a few small hard bits near the bed.
We had requested a double room but were given a twin. As we were only staying for one night we didn't bother too much although the mattresses seems a little big for the bases so if you sat on the edge of the bed you could easily end up on the floor.
The evening meal was very nice but perhaps a little "pub like" in content. The wine list was reasonable priced and the service overall was good.
Unfortunately we had a really bad nights sleep. Firstly although they give you the option of either a firm pillow or a soft one we couldn't really tell the difference as both felt like quite hard foam pillows and secondly between the hours of 12 and 2.30 am we were constantly disturbed by people running up and down the corridor outside our room shouting, screaming and laughing. I admit this is hard for the hotel to sort as it is down to the individuals to act in a responsible manner but never the less it did mar our stay.
The swimming pool is nice but some of the gym equipment has seen better days but to be fair it is included in your room rate.
The park and ride facility nearby is an excellent way of getting into Chester itself and for £2 return per person is great value
Breakfast was ok if you liked a cooked full English but not so good if you prefer a continental option. A couple of plates of tired looking meat and cheese and the only bread I could find was some cheap sliced bread with all the flavour of soggy cardboard.
Overall bearing in mind we got a cheap deal it was ok. Would I pay the full room amount? No, not when Premier Inn does it much better.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear artisanSheffield,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay with us. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.