“Not good - won't be back here”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I travelled for 12 hours to get to this hotel. Arriving at 18:30 I was very hungry and thirsty. Couldn't get a seat in the restaurant until after 20:30 so went to the bar to get a drink and some bar food. I queued for 20 minutes before giving up and going to my room - the bar man was making smoothies or milk shakes, individually, for a large group of kids who were in the bar area.
My room was at the opposite end of the building from the reception and it seemed like I had to walk for ages to reach the room.

Receptionist was very sympathetic to my situation but there was nothing she could do about it.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Ray C,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I apologize for the issues you encountered with the bar service and room allocation. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback. If your travel brings you to the area in the future, we hope you give us another chance.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This has to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms were laid out in a maze and we walked forever to get to our room, only to find out that if we wanted ice we had to walk all the way back and try to get some from the bar. The bartender really seemed put out when I asked for ice and then only gave us a bit in the bucket. There were areas in the hallway where you had to avoid walking in certain spots or you would trip in the hole under the carpet. The hotel did not seem very clean and the room we were in was very out dated. I laid towels on the couch before sitting on it because it looked like it carried every germ that ever passed through there. You could tell it was where a lot of coach tours stopped and they concentrated on that as their main business. I will not be staying there ever again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear grapeeyes,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments online. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

I am disappointed to read that your experience was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had and for the shortfalls you have encountered. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here as part of a group of 8, we were doing a tough mudder, and thought this would be the ideal place to stay.

The staff were friendly, and professional, they booked us taxis into town on a couple of occasions.

The rooms were a good size, clean, fresh towels etc, the decor was a bit dated, but we didn't mind at all.

We stayed on a room only basis and got told we could buy a breakfast costing £11. When we got to breakfast the following morning we were asked for our tokens. We weren't told about having to pre book, we were then told because we didn't have a token that it would cost £15 if we were paying on the day. Luckily the person on reception let us have it for £11.
The breakfast wasn't worth £11 never mind £15, basic cereals, breads, and all the stuff for a fry up. However limited amounts of things, waiting for bacon to be cooked, etc.

Went for a drink in the hotel bar on the first night, the barman was busy so he asked us to take a seat and he'd come and take our drinks order. About 10 minutes later he walked 15 yards to our table, we ordered 4 drinks, he walked back 15 yards, and then brought our drinks to us, with a bill including a service charge! Thought this was a little cheeky considering he'd asked us to sit down because they didn't have enough staff on

All in all I'd recommend the hotel for a couple of nights, I'd bypass the breakfast, which i did on our second morning.

Good base for Chester, just a couple of minutes away, and decent prices for rooms.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear AndyDurant,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay specifically with breakfast and with bar service. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Karen Gray
eMedia Coordinator

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just had a night in this hotel on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal booked through Mistral. From the outside the hotel is very 70's looking but to be fair it is a lot better inside.
Our room was quite spacious but very basic and not quite as clean as it could have been. The bathroom floor was a little dusty and I wasn't sure if the carpet in the bedroom had been thoroughly vacuumed as there were quite a few small hard bits near the bed.
We had requested a double room but were given a twin. As we were only staying for one night we didn't bother too much although the mattresses seems a little big for the bases so if you sat on the edge of the bed you could easily end up on the floor.
The evening meal was very nice but perhaps a little "pub like" in content. The wine list was reasonable priced and the service overall was good.
Unfortunately we had a really bad nights sleep. Firstly although they give you the option of either a firm pillow or a soft one we couldn't really tell the difference as both felt like quite hard foam pillows and secondly between the hours of 12 and 2.30 am we were constantly disturbed by people running up and down the corridor outside our room shouting, screaming and laughing. I admit this is hard for the hotel to sort as it is down to the individuals to act in a responsible manner but never the less it did mar our stay.
The swimming pool is nice but some of the gym equipment has seen better days but to be fair it is included in your room rate.
The park and ride facility nearby is an excellent way of getting into Chester itself and for £2 return per person is great value
Breakfast was ok if you liked a cooked full English but not so good if you prefer a continental option. A couple of plates of tired looking meat and cheese and the only bread I could find was some cheap sliced bread with all the flavour of soggy cardboard.
Overall bearing in mind we got a cheap deal it was ok. Would I pay the full room amount? No, not when Premier Inn does it much better.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear artisanSheffield,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay with us. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Weekend with the girls, 2 nights, twin rooms together as requested, very pleasant staff, nice food in the restaurant, look for a bargain on the internet £114 (ish) twin room 2 nights B&B and dinner on the first night was well worth it, literally 2 - 5 minute walk to bus stop into Chester if you didn't want to take the car, park and ride (£2 each return) or regular bus service across the road, a taxi was £6.20. About 10 mins max. If you're in Chester and like Italian book at Sergios - very nice food, lovely atmosphere for friends and family gatherings. I'd really recommend this hotel for a pretty good value Chester weekend. If you're used to the quiet at night, be warned that there is a little main road/motorway noise and you do not have a view of the likes of Snowdonia, but it wasn't the end of the world. There were a few scuff marks here and there. Again, not really worth a mention. My bed at home was more comfy, but isn't it always? Pool, jacuzzi and sauna included, particularly great for friends. All in all a real pleasure with the girls, lovely weekend..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Excellent 4 day stay. Rooms good, food very good, Use of gym, pool and sauna included in room rental. Fast and friendly service in Restuarant and bar. Special thanks to Danielle, Kay and Paige for their cheerful and helpful service. Recommended if you're looking for somewhere in Cheshire.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I attended a conference at this venue with my boss today & our day had not got off to a great start as we'd been stuck in traffic for 3 hours, so were an hour and a half late for the start of our course. Tea & coffee facilities were fine & they were changed regularly through the day but things went downhill from lunch - something which we'd been looking forward to. There was a very poor choice of sandwiches available although we could select white or brown bread, with one serving dish of chips between 16 hungry adults and a dish of limp looking salad. I picked the best of a bad bunch of sandwiches, and was very disappointed on taking a bite to find that my ham had been covered with mustard, yuk! I commented on this at our table & one of the other attendees said that each sandwich had some sort of topping - the cheese had branston pickle & the beef had horseradish. There was no option of 'plain' sandwich to select. I left the room for a knife to scrape my topping off & a member of staff happened to be there, so I commented on the sandwiches, she replied "oh that's a shame" & then asked me if everyone had had enough!
The ladies toilets were obviously not checked "on the hour" as stated on the sign displayed in there, as the machine for paper towels was not working, nor was the hand dryer when we visited at the start of lunch, nor were they working when we revisited 2 hours later.
Unfortunately the only comment form left for us to complete was the course feedback sheet, so no opportunity to point any of this out to staff.
I had always believed that Holiday Inns were meant to be a fairly good quality hotel, but am not so sure after my short visit today.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Audra W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the serviced you received from our staff. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G