“Good for tea and a sweet”
Review of Patisserie Valerie

Patisserie Valerie
Ranked #5 of 8 Dessert in Chester
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Staunton, Virginia
“Good for tea and a sweet”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Valerie's was my default for tea when I stayed in Chester. Mother often stayed while I went off to walk the walls or see yet another museum. The staff were very kind and understanding about this. in general, the service was very good. I often had a sweet on my return and very much enjoyed them. We didn't ever eat a meal, in part because of the negative reviews, but also the plethora of other places nearby. I definitely recommend it for tea and something sweet.

• Visited January 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I couldn't say anything particularly negative or positive about this place, it's just pah! THe decor is like my bedroom in the 80s, the service is adequate and the food just okay. But it's not horrific. Won't be going back!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Rachel D
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Another Bland Chain”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went here after for a break during the busy sales period and found the food fairly tasteless as well as the cakes which look beautiful but taste freeze packed and not fresh as they claim to be. Sure enough, a little investigation with one of the waitresses proved the kitchen prepares hardly any of its own food and simply has everything shipped in- as do all PV chain franchises. Support local businesses and find somewhere else- you'll find tastier food and better prices!

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank tomj84
Upminster, United Kingdom
“I love this place”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I don't live in Chester but visit often for family reasons. I always go to this restaurant when I'm in Chester. They have lovely light meals and snacks, and gorgeous cakes. They are also a cake shop so you can buy the cakes to take away too. Service is also excellent. Once when they couldn't provide a pudding I'd asked for but didn't tell me straightway, they gave me another pudding for free. I've heard them do the same thing with other people too.

• Visited December 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Scrumptious cakes”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We called in for something to eat whilst on a weekend trip to Chester, the wonderful window display of cakes having drawn us in. As we had had no lunch and it being the middle of the afternoon we decided to have a ham and cheese toastie between us and one of the wonderful cakes each. The toastie was small with a small salad and a few crisps with it and was fairly average in my opinion and definitely over-priced. The cakes however made up for the disappointing toastie. I had a raspberry tart and my husband had a lemon cheesecake. The portion size was huge and the prices were £4.10 each which I thought was a bit expensive but the taste was to die for. We did find the service a bit slow but it was a busy Saturday afternoon, however the staff were very friendly and pleasant. We would definitely visit again for the cakes alone which incidentally can be bought to take away. Well worth a visit for anyone in Chester.

• Visited November 2012