“Sunday Lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shrewsbury Arms

Shrewsbury Arms
Ranked #123 of 548 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated in the idyllic Cheshire countryside, The Shrewsbury Arms is a welcoming and family friendly public house.
North Wales
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We called in on the 'off chance' having. Been out Sunday shopping. I haven' t been here since the revamp and was quite impressed by the tasteful change. We were met at the entrance and shown to a table ( for two) and were offered a choice of several. The Sunday menu was basically a carvery but was served at table having made a choice of several meats. There was also a limited a la carte menu which we did not choose, perhaps next time. The food was plentiful, good quality, service was excellent, staff very courteous and willing to please. It is a bit off our beaten track but based on this visit well worth the effort. Perhaps next time we'll try a family event as there is a play area outside to keep the little ones occupied.

1 Thank padetrois
ShrewsburyArms, Public Relations Manager at Shrewsbury Arms, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hi padetrois,

Thank you for choosing us after a busy day shopping, we hope you bought some nice things. We’re really pleased to hear your overall experience was a good one and we hope you and your family will join us in the future!

““Stick to the Chester fields !” continued..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have signed up to TripAdvisor to vent my frustrations in the 'management response' to the "Stick to the Chester Fields!' comment. I was the other customer that experienced not only poor service but poor management that night. Not only has the response questioned my partners integrity (by questioning the timings) but has also confirmed that I will not give the restaurant a second chance.

I live in Mickle Trafford where I am fortunate to have a choice of 3 restaurants, and never have I had such poor service. No leadership was evident on the night, no updates on the current status, no apologies and to confirm we did wait at least 1 hour 10 minutes before walking out without receiving our order of 1 garlic pizza bread. I understand restaurants will be busy, but not once on that night did we get told of a delay. I'll be sure to pass on our experience to the others in the Village, and to reiterate 'stick to the Chester Fields' or 'Vice Versa'.

Hi Alex K,

Thank you for your further input regarding this visit, previously reviewed by your partner.

We are happy with our previous response having been there in person on the night of this visit, as well as the benefit of order tracking and other monitoring procedures to give us accurate timings.
“Family birthday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We took my daughter and her husband for a weekday lunch to celebrate her birthday. The service was very good and we ordered our drinks and perused the extensive menu. We all chose something different starting with cheesy garlic bread then steak, salmon, cod and gammon for our main courses. They were hot, tasty and served with a smile. We enjoyed our lunch ending with a waiter taking a memorable birthday photograph for us. Well done to all.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Ann B
Hi Ann B,

We hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday dinner and on hearing your comments we think she had a great day. Our extensive menu has a dish for everyone and we love to see that you all decided to go for something different. We hope to see you all again soon.
Norley, United Kingdom
“It should have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Luckily we visited on a very warm day and enjoyed eating outside in the rear garden which was very nice. I ordered the rump steak which was very tough and under cooked as were the hand cut chips. Yes I should have complained when eating it but did not want the bother of waiting etc etc..
Non of the waiting staff asked if everything was ok until I finally managed to call one over to get the bill when I told her about the poor quality steak.She said she would tell someone. When she came back to settle the bill I asked what the outcome was and she said she had forgotten to tell" the somebody" so I asked her again to mention it, thats the last we saw of her.
Why are staff so unable to deal with complaints??

Hi Woooodentop,

Thank you for your review and your recent visit to the Shrewsbury. We were disappointed to learn you were unhappy with the quality of your steak. We use carefully selected local butchers who we support through our local butcher nights and also a small number of direct to farm suppliers. This is to ensure the qualities of our meats are to a consistently high standard.
Steaks are cooked carefully to specific requirements and should have been presented as such. We are always happy to make alterations should your meal not be quite to your expectation so in future please don't hesitate to ask.

In respect of the comments you wished to be passed on, we will revisit this in our next weekly training session and remind everyone of their importance!
Chester
“Best pub sunday lunch ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Shrewsbury Arms has been a yo yo bistro pub for years. Up for a while then down. Currently, it is probably the best I've ever known it to be for 30 years. We went for Sunday lunch with two small children and an elderly mother in law. Couldn't have been made more welcome and the lunch was terrific. I've had some really poor Sunday lunches in local pubs - little choice, dried up Yorkshire pudding and roasties and vegetables almost inedible. Not this time. The black pudding was the best I've ever eaten - and I've eaten a lot. Home made and delicious. Other starters were equally as good and the kids pizzas were brought immediately, something other bistro pubs fail to do. There is a wide choice of meat for lunch and my lamb was lean and tender with wonderful gravy. The beef and pork was said to be equally delicious. The place was busy, the staff young and enthusiastic with a lot to learn but the atmosphere is relaxed and the food is worth a bit of bumbling. Complimentary ice cream for the kids went down really well but what I really liked was when I asked for custard with my apple pie rather than cream, it was no problem and came freshly made and delicious. The play area is ideal for children and the child tolerant ethos demonstrated from the boss down is so refreshing, often rare in English eateries but so common in Europe.
Give this place a go and you won't regret it. Great food and excellent value for money.

1 Thank lefko
Hi lefko,

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding your visit with us. We believe in going the extra mile to provide the customer with a great dining experience. We’re glad your children enjoyed the complimentary Ice Cream. We hope you’ll visit us again soon!