“Disappointing....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shrewsbury Arms

Shrewsbury Arms
Ranked #122 of 548 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated in the idyllic Cheshire countryside, The Shrewsbury Arms is a welcoming and family friendly public house.
Liverpool
“Disappointing....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Living locally we waited with anticipation for The Shrew to reopen hoping that our we would have a regular good eating place back within our walking distance....the place has been very well revived, it's a lovely building. And that's where my good comments stop....overpriced food which at best was OK...indeed my braised steak was very salty and had I been asked I would have fed this back. The chips with my partners burger , whilst chunky and home made, were under cooked and slightly anaemic looking. When we eventually got our bill and went to pay we were asked if everything was OK, when I replied that OK would be my best description the young man was like a rabbit in headlights , said ' oh good' ....I did at this point feel the need to add that we wouldn't be rushing back just so that he was clear on my comment....at no point were we asked what the problem was or any effort at recovery.....sorry Shrew you are same price range as others in area such as Stamford Bridge and you are miles behind...
N

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank j4dhols
ShrewsburyArms, Public Relations Manager at Shrewsbury Arms, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hi N, Thank you for your comments on your visit to The Shrewsbury Arms, we're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal with us. We pass all feedback on to the team, front of house and kitchen, so we will pass on your comments about the disappointing aspects.

We're always looking at what we offer and use our feedback to make changes where required to make sure everyone enjoys themselves and we hope you will come back and try us again on a different occasion.

“Enjoyable eating experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Went for dinner and on a Thursday evening the atmosphere was friendly and relaxing and decor very nice. The staff were really helpful and answered all my questions and ensured that my food allergies were catered for. Quality of food was excellent, however the portions were a bit on the small side considering the price. Enjoyed the experience.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 14KallyG
ShrewsburyArms, Public Relations Manager at Shrewsbury Arms, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hi Kally, thank you for your great review and we're glad you enjoyed yourself and that everything provided suited your needs. Hopefully we'll see you again soon!
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We've just returned from lunch at the Shrewsbury Arms and give it a glowing report. The recent refurb is fantastic -the inside is beautifully redecorated & the outside play area was fantastic to keep our 3 year old entertained whilst we were waiting for our meals. I had a roast beef sandwich, my partner had the ribs (to which he said were better than the local Hickories Smokehouse ribs) and my mother had the Moroccan lamb and couscous. All of our meals were beautifully presented and tasted amazing. My son opted for sausage & chips from the children's menu & we were pleasantly surprised to find that the sausages were proper sausages (not the usual ones that pubs give to kids). Our waiter was attentive , polite, courteous and friendly, as were all the staff. I can't believe the negative reviews on this site from days before -it seems like they've visited a different place. I can recommend the Shrewsbury Arms to everyone, especially those with children. 5 star.

1 Thank Liz F
Hi Liz, thank you for your lovely comments, we're really happy you enjoyed yourself and we've passed your comments on to our team. We hope we'll see you and all of the family again soon for another visit.
Widnes
“Sunday Lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband were staying in the area, we went to the Shrewsury Arms as the original pub we went to was full. The waiter was very nice and explained you could have a piece of all the meats which I chose, my husband chose pork and gammon, there was no pork so he chose beef and gammon. We waited a long time considering the place was empty, Eventually it arrived, it was served all together on a platter for you to help yourself. Portiion was on the small side and the beef was paper thin and quite bloody. To be honest it was never worth £12.95 each for one course and would not recommend.

2 Thank BernieBarwise
ShrewsburyArms, Public Relations Manager at Shrewsbury Arms, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hi Bernie, we’re sorry that you didn’t enjoy your visit to The Shrewsbury Arms, we do take all comments into consideration to ensure we provide the high level of service we expect to give. We hope you will considering visiting us on a different occasion and it will be a different experience for you.
Chester, United Kingdom
“£12,45 Sunday lunch (poor value)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Today 25/08/13 went for Sunday lunch & was shocked to see it priced at one course £12,45 p/p portions are small & are poor value ,my husband had a pint of shandy £3,60 !the waiting on staff are young & they gave us good service, however when working with food the waitress hair could do with looking more professional ,This place has great potential we think that a senior staff should be used as a mentor ,rather than the manager pulling them out for small talks !
As we work all week we look forward to a Sunday lunch out, so would will we go again !
with other pubs close by with better value on offer. however the food did taste very good .

• 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank holidaysCheshire
Hi, we’re glad you chose to visit us today, we are always trying to ensure we offer a high standard of service and produce of quality and value so we have passed your comments on to the team, but we’re pleased that your Sunday roast tasted great for you. We hope we’ll see you again in the future.