“Summer Sunday!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Summer Sunday!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I came here today for family get together and it was just wonderful. Waitress was lovely, bartender full of the banter and the surroundings are stunning. Food as good as ever with something for all of us! My 8yr old son has just declared himself a veggie so the team altered a dish for him, which was a nice touch considering how busy they were! All in all great and can't wait for an excuse to pop back down!

Chester, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful evening - we will most definetly return again!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were recommended your restaurant by some friends who frequent your restaurant on a regular basis and up until now have not had much opportunity to go. Last night we decided to pay you a visit on the spur of the moment and jolly glad that we did!

My son who ate with us ordered your Fat Cow Burger which he thoroughly enjoyed, with a name like that I would have been a little embarrassed to order that myself, but when it arrived I can see where the names comes from - it was huge and excellent value for money and very delicious.

I had the Poached Breast of Chicken & Mushroom Bourguignon which I thought was wonderful, sometimes with chicken its hard to cook the chicken so its not too dry and this was just right, cooked to perfection -I wish I was able to serve something like that up myself, fabulous!

My husband had the Crispy Pork Belly and he polished it off very quickly and said it was divine.

We can see why our friends had recommended it too us as we had a lovely evening, The restaurant is superb inside and very cosy with lovely finishing touches like games areas etc for the kids, although my son being in his early 20's would not have used this area now, he did comment that he wished there had been more pubs like this when he was younger!

We chose to sit outside in the very large area with comfy chairs and beautiful views, the restaurant was heaving as the weather is superb at the moment and the staff must have had their work cut out as they worked tirelessly in the heat.

We did feel sorry for the chef as he had his doors open from the kitchen and he must have been so hot, we almost wanted to take him one of our drinks as we sat soaking up the lovely sunshine.

Anyway we just wanted you to know we had a lovely evening, with excellent food, the service was very good, sometimes we had to wait a little, but it was very busy and we could see the staff were running around like mad things, bless them, but when they did come to our table, they were polite and courteous and always smiling which is a credit to them.

We will definitely be returning again and bringing our friends next time too.

ps it was also lovely to be out in the countryside on such a lovely evening instead of being in the bustling town centre where its so hot, and not have to worry about finding a parking space too

Many thanks for a lovely time

Elsie Bradley

Chester
“Not great!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We went for the first time last week and I won't be in a hurry to go back. Really nice building and lovely views, if you don't mind being attacked by dozens of wasps the whole time. I had to actually ask the waiter if we could order after being sat there for 25 minutes. The food was expensive and after eating about half of the pulled pork burger I can honestly say I have never felt so sick so quickly from eating something. I was actually scared to get in the car for fear of throwing up. My husband had the same and had to get up and leave the table as he felt so sick. Really wasn't worth the money for the experience we had. And we definitely aren't in a rush to go back. Shames because we'd heard great things about this place.

1 Thank Laura0401
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Laura0401,
Thanks for taking the time to write this review although it would have been more appropriate to have asked for a manager on the day. There is no record of any complaint made on the day you dined which strikes me as a little odd.
If you check out the following web address you will see that any illness from food doesn't occur until between 24 and 72 hours after digesting. I wonder if it may have been a bit of heat stroke that made you ill. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/food-poisoning/pages/introduction.aspx. I'm also surprised that based on your comments you rated the food a 3 out of 5. If you wish to email the restaurant I will gladly send you a sales report for that day where we sold over 40 pork burgers(it's the third most popular dish on our menu). Perhaps your choice was wrong. As regards price, i'm not sure where you normally dine but our pricing is no more expensive than any of the competition. The difference maybe that we prepare everything fresh on the day.
The fact that you waited 25 minutes to be served was because you hadn't booked a table with us and we were already fully booked. Perhaps it wasn't communicated to you that you may have to wait, so I apologise for this.
Your comment about the wasps I found amusing! It's the middle of Summer during a long awaited heatwave, in the countryside, surrounded by farms. I'm not too sure what you would expect every garden in the country to do about this, outside of covering the entire perimeter with a fishing net!
Sarcasm aside, i'm sorry your first visit wasn't up to the reccomendation you had been given but if you read the 90% positive reviews we have had, that would hopefully give you a better average of the restaurant. Thank you for dining and sorry you won't be returning.
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“Very poor for vegetarian!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a good restaurant if you are a meat eater. I eat fish but they had run out of my choice on the menu. I don't like prawns and it was King Prawn Linguine at £11 with a vegetarian option. I chose the vegetarian option lingine. It was tasteless, there were very few vegatables in it, maybe one green bean cut up, a little bit of broccoli and about one slice of carrot! When the bill came they had charged me £11, so of course I told the waiter this was a mistake as I had the vegetarian option. No mistake - he told me he just tells the kitchen to do the vegetarian option but the price was the same. I definitely will not be back!! Very much overpriced, I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been tasty but it was bland!

2 Thank Lynne T
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Toddy66,
Thanks for posting your review on TA.
It's as good to hear the bad reviews as well as the good ones. No business can move forward if it doesn't listen to feedback.
I apologise fdor the poor vegetarian dish. I'm not sure which day you were dining but i'd imagine it was fairly busy if we had sold out of certain items. The vegetarian linguine should be cheaper in price than the meat option and I apologise if this wasn't altered for you. The particular dish you are referring to is extremely tasty when cooked properly but it sounds like, on this occasion it wasn't executed correctly. I have passed on this feedback to the chef and he will see that this doesn't happen again.
It's odd you say that it's not good for vegetarians when we have over 20 different option for veggies. It does state clearly on the menu that we can adapt any dish to suit vegetarians and if ordered in advance we can make anything you want. We are just in the process of launching a new, seperate vegetarian menu that comes out on the 1st August. It's a shame you won't be dining with us again to try it.
My apologies once again and I hope you will find a more suitable restaurant that suits your requirements.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner Coincided with the 50% offer”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

When I called to book a table for my Mum's birthday, I was told that it was the 50% evening, which was good in terms of my wallet, but It made me a little concerned about the ability to provide good food consistently.

However, I needn't have worried, the food was absolutely wonderful! All four of us had a lovely meal and the service was just great, the guy was just fantastic, really friendly and so helpful and attentive even though we could tell that he was absolutely run off his feet.

Whilst we loved it, It would be a special occasion to bring us back soon, because we've a baby due so nappies will soak up the 'fun' fund, but we really enjoyed ourselves, and will be recommending to our friends. Thank you very much :)

Dear Kenkenuk,
Thanks very much for posting your very kind review.
As you noticed, our monthly 50% night is extremely popular and i'm happy that you made it for a special occasion.
I am however sorry that smelly nappies will now take over your social life but we look forward to your new edition joining us in the not too distant future.
Thanks again!