“Great Place, Great Food, Great Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Chester Fields

The Chester Fields
Ranked #49 of 553 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great Place, Great Food, Great Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have been to The Chesterfields on many occasions now and have never had a bad or average experience there.

Last weekend didn't disappoint either, a group of us went and everyone thought the place was amazing, the food was awesome and our waiter really made the day personal.

Well done guys! - We will see you again soon.

• Visited July 2013
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear jbiggins
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It's always a pleasure looking after you especially when your downing the Champers like you were!!! Sorry I couldn't join you for a glass!
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chester
“Nice setting, food not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Sat outside on a lovely summer evening, great views.
I ordered rump steak, which cost just under £17. The steak was very chewy and I had to leave most of it. I mentioned this to the waiter who said he would tell the chef, however, we didn't hear anymore.
Upon paying my husband mentioned this again, we only paid half the cost of the steak.
This is the second time we have been here, last time there were also some issues with the food, so we were quite disappointed that things hadn't improved greatly which is a shame as the venue is lovely but the food just doesn't live up to expectations.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Rachel D
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Rachel d,
I'm sorry we appear to have dissapointed you again. If you look at the majortity of our reviews they would hopefully show that your experiences are unfortunate and not normal practise.
The Rump is the most tempremental cut on the cow as it covers the largest area on the beast. Because it's such a large moving muscle it can be tough at times but it shouldn't be chewy as you state. We should have taken the entire meal off your bill as this is unacceptable. Often with this cut you don't know what it's going to like until you cut into it whereas most other cuts like the Fillet or Ribeye, you can tell by the texture.
I hope that you'll return one last time so we can have the opportunity to win you over again.
North Wales
“Nice location and nice food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

En route to Northwich from Holywell we had to take a detour due to a wide load on A54. Passed the Chester Fields on the way out and decided to try it out for a snack on the way back. Prime concern was a beer garden so i could keep an eye on my Vortx that has no roof , no doors and can't be secured. On arrival the car park was almost full but found a suitable place. We sat in the garden on one of the high stools with tall table. Service at the bar was quick so we orderd drinks and perused the menu. Tried to catch the eye of the waiter but failed miserably.
decided to go and order food from the bar with table number in hand.
We went for the 2 people / 2 courses for £20.13. Limited choice but the Smoked Salmon starter and Cumberland Sausage main we excellent. Service was very prompt. By 13.30 the car park was full and people were driving away disappointed.
Enquired at the bar about the rather random price.........2013 of course and it will be going up a penny next year!! Yet another senior moment.
Will certainly return again!

Dear HTOTGP,
Thanks for taking the time to write this very complimentary review.
My apologies for the waiter not catching your eye, you certainly shouldn't have had to order at the bar.
The 2013 menu is a limited menu that is designed specifically to give diners the opportunity to have a light lunch at an affordable price. As you mention this will sadly be going up in price next year to 2014! We started this theme last year in honour of a great year for Great Britain with the Olympics and the Queens jubilee and it became so popular that we decided to carry it through.
We hope that the A54 will continue to have a high volume of traffic on it so it will cause you to make another detour!!!
We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you once again.
Chester
“Outstanding!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Absolutely fabulous. No complaints.
A very busy Tuesday night (turns out, it was the once monthly, 50% off food discount night). Sat in the beautiful garden enjoying a pre-dinner drink, enjoying the view. We were advised that there was a delay in the kitchen, which didn't surprise us as it was so busy, but good that we were told; not a problem for us, we were enjoying actually being able to sit outside. Before we knew it, we were whisked to our table and served the most delicious meal; I won't list what we ate (check out the menu), suffice to say, my steak was perfectly cooked and melted in the mouth.....yum! Ended the evening sat outside, where I was surprised with cake, served on a plate that had been personalised for me, in celebration of my birthday; what a lovely thing for them to do, a nice touch. These are the type of things that make a restaurant special. Service was excellent, without exception. Thank you.

Dear Chalmerschester,
WOW! what a wonderful review!
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to us. We've been very fortunate with the weather this year and we certainly are lucky to have the views that we have over the fields. Our gardens been extremely busy throughout summer and we've just finished building a BBQ that will add even more of a Summer feel to the garden.
I assume by your TA name that you are from Chester so I hope that we will see you again very soon.
Thank you once again.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location let down by flies!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked a party of 6 and had to pre order food which I thought was a little poor for a decent eatery! Quiet night, staff were attentive and polite. Food appeared and so did around 4 flies that hovered around our table and continually landed on our meals. One diner sent the meal back as a fly landed in the sauce and it came back out reheated to burning with part of the potato cake sliced off! The flies persisted landing on our desserts, even though 2 waiters tried to bat them off. Food was reheated and even though the staff were great the night was spoilt. I know it is the countryside but I have never seen that many at one dining table..........disappointed.

2 Thank arizona71
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Arizona71,
Well it looks like we've let you down again!
As we've said to you in previous responses we like to hear all feedback both good and bad as it's this information that helps us to move the business forward.
I do wish you'd ask to speak to a manager on the night though rather than just going through these channels each time!
Firstly I have to mention the pre order situation. Your party began as a much larger party but the numbers kept going down. As in any restaurant that prepares food fresh it's for your own benefit that we advise guests to pre order not just our own. For a party of 6 we don't need a pre order which I mentioned on the phone to either yourself or someone else in your party.

Regarding the fly issue. Unfortunately our site is a farm and we are surrounded by other farms. When the weather is like it is at the moment this will happen. We most certainly don't want to close all doors and windows as this would possibly have made the experience far worse.

I can only apologise and continue to hope that we can please you in the future, perhaps in the winter time.