“Excellent Christmas Party”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Christmas Party”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After visiting The Chester Fields earlier on in the year for food and drinks I decided to book our staff party there and I have to say that we couldn't have had a better time! The service, setting and quality of food was outstanding despite catering for a large number on a busy evening. I have returned several times since with firends all of whom have been equally as impressed. We shall definitely be booking again!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank majikkat
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear majikkat,
Thank you so much for your review!
It is great to see that you had such a wonderful staff party; with all our different lounges and mezzanines it is a perfect setting for groups, as well as smaller tables.
Thanks again and look forward to seeing you again soon.

“Good ambiance”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a very stylish bar/ restaurant with welcoming staff and an interesting, quite varied menu. The food wasn't great when the site first re-opened, however, I've noticed a great improvement in recent months and I'd now happily reccommend it.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank JPJE
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear JPJE,
Thank you for your review and comments.
I am glad that you have noticed an improvement since we opened - moving in the right direction is always positve!
We look forward to seeing you back at The Chester Fields soon!
Chester, United Kingdom
“Management clearly cares about customer feedback”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I placed a review on 5th July, which wasn't wholly positive but which I hope gave constructive criticism. I was very pleased to see a response from the management and have since noticed that they always appear to respond to customers who have had concerns and this says to me that this restaurant cares for its customers and reputation. Because they took the time out to give a response, we did return and found it much improved. The presentation, which had been our main gripe last time, was greatly improved. I agree that the alcohol is expensive but when isn't it when dining out nowadays. So, one customer who might not have bothered to return has now had an enjoyable eating experience, will recommend the restaurant and will be returning. Thank you.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Sprite_9
Dear Sprite_9!
Many thanks for your review and for giving us another go!
We always listen to our guests and, where possible, make changes to ensure that we are 'sharpening the arrow' to keep us at the top of our game!
Certainly in your instance, I remember first reading your previous review and it is something we tackled staright away. You were not alone when saying there were too many dip pots and bowls when creating a dish!
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again now we have changed your opinion!
“Fantastic Christmas Party!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had the task of organising our Works Christmas Party. After enquiring at numerous different places & looking at different menu's I decided hands down that the menu for The Chester Fields looked the nicest & was also a very resonabile price. So I went ahead & booked a table & I can honestly say along with all my colleges that from start to finish the service was exceptional, the food was delicious & the atmposphere was fantatsic! We even had our own closed off room which was a fabulous surprise! We all had a wonderful time. We will definatly be booking our Christmas Party there again this year! Thank you Andy & all the staff who looked after us.
10 BRIDGE CLINIC, Chester

• Visited December 2012
Dear Jess,
Happy 2013!
Thank you so much for your review. It sounds like it was a brilliant Christmas Party and I am glad you enjoyed the private dining room off our Games Room.
I will pass on your thanks to Andy and the team and we hope to see you back here soon.
“Very dissapointed”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Looked forward to visiting this well appointed venue with the family after Christmas - wholly dissapointed. Unbeknown to us there was a half price food offer on (however, that really is irrelevant to this review.)

My starter was poorly presented and did not wholly reflect what the menu indicated and the portion(s) were tiny (I'm not a big eater) - I attracted the attention of our pleasant server and explained the situation. She offered to get some more bread and then retorted "Well it is half price" .......!!
The beef offering, chosen by my wife was not available - (fair enough) was replaced by lamb so she was happy to have this as a substitute. The menu clearly stated that it came with carrots (plural), it was in fact served with one (single) very sad looking carrot atop a small and poorly presented some kind of lamb creation. I requested to speak to the manager who proceded to explain that the menu did not actually (in some cases) reflect what was actually on offer as it was a 'transitional' menu between Christmas and New Year. The manager then responded in typical text -book, training room style - "How can I make it better for you?",meaning that the onus was now clearly on my wife who was already feeling slightly awkward. Eventually we received a rather (in our opinion) unsympathetic apology and a small dish containing a few carrots and parsnips!
The service and food on this occasion did not match the ambience of this fine dining establishment.
Not a pleasant experience and one that quite spoiled our end of festivities evening. We will not be returning and cannot recommend to others.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Nick J
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Nick,
Thank you for your feedback. It is always very dissappointing to read such a review and I would like to ask that you conatct me at the restaurant to discuss your concerns in greater detail, but that may come across as too training room! However, if you would like to, details are on our website.
To respond to your observations, Claire, our Duty Manager, dealt with all of your points on the evening and I am more than satisfied that she did so in a professional and friendly fashion. I understand you both have a strong interest in Cask Ales, which you discussed at length. I have already addressed the 'half price' statement with the runner who delivered your food. This is clearly not acceptable and we have briefed the team to be mindful of such repsonses when we have offers on in the future.
With regards to the 'textbook' response, I don't think that this is entirely fair on my colleague. Claire genuinely has a passion for her job and prides herself on the rapport she builds with our guests (cask ale?!). I can assure you that as opposed to putting the onus on your wife, there was a sincere effort to turn the situation into a positive one for your and your family.
Nick, thak you again for your feedback. I hope that you do give us another shot. If so, please let me know and I will handle your reservation personally.