“Fresh fields”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

A welcoming restaurant serving excellent food that is good value for money. Really good levels of service from all staff and somewhere we would heartily recommend. We shall definitely return.

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Chester Voyager!
Thank you very much for your review and reccommendation. It is brilliant that you feel we are good value for money and the team looked after you so well.
We look foward to welcoming you back very soon.
Michael

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Dropped in for lunch, great decor, looks fab, slightly over attentive staff, we had just been given the menu, (we had met 3 staff at the point) when a 4th waiter asked us if we wanted to order! My husband had the Artisan Pork Feast, served on a wooden chopping board..why do restaurants do this, it is not great, the juices absorb into the wood, it is not hygienic and just seems another 'style over substance'. Well it certainly wasn't a feast and at £18.50, it should have been, there were very small sample portions of each item. not impressed. I had the burger, it was ok, small burger, raw in the middle, would have been nice to ask how I would like it, cheese on top, but not melted, would have been a lot nicer had they melted it under the grill. (Said it was on the menu) The whole thing was cold, as the only hot ingredient, the burger, was too small, and it was overloaded with a relish (again according to the menu) but it seemed to be a mayonnaise with rocket, a slice of raw tomato (again said it was grilled on the menu).

So all together disappointing, and I won't be returning. If you can't get the basic's right it's not worth risking another visit.

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear BidsChester,
Thank you very much for your review.
Firstly, I am pleased that you like the look of the place - it is something we get a lot of positive comments on!
Please can I ask that you contact me at The Chester Fields to discuss the rest of your experience? I would like the opportunity to go through your visit in a bit more detail - understand when you came so I can follow up on the food and service points. Getting the basics right is something the team strive to do on a daily basis, so it is disappointing to read that we have dropped the ball.
With regards to your burger, you are absolutely correct in saying that we should be asking our guests whether they would like it pink or cooked through. The garnish is stated on the menu as Melted Cheese, Hand Cut Chips and Roast Plum Tomato Relish. The tomatoes are roasted and then made into a relish and served in a sauce pot on the side, no mention of grilled tomato I am afraid. We serve the burger with cos lettuce bound lightly with some mayonnaise, a slice of tomato and sliced gherkin. Bacon is an additional extra.
I am very surprised that you feel the Artisan Pork Feast portion was inadequate. In fact, often our guests struggle to finish this dish and feedback has been that it may be too big! But, again, we will look at the portions and make sure that there is ample. I understand what you are saying about being served on a board, but the concept fits nicely with the food we are trying to serve and the dish itself, so will continue to serve them as we do.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to us. As I have mentioned earlier, please can I ask that you contact me directly at The Chester Fields and I can see if I can persuade you to risk another visit!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The "pub" seems purpose built and is in a very attractive setting. Outside tables, etc would make for a lovely afternoon in the sun but we were there on a Sunday evening and went inside for a meal. We were entertaining a colleague from the US and were disappointed by the very limited menu. We seriously considered leaving but had already ordered drinks. It was a bad start when our meals came out but not our guest's. He had ordered the rump steak. When it finally arrived (5 minutes after our dishes), it was okay but it was a bit tough and to call the side a portabello mushroom was definitely putting on airs; small crimini more like. I had the Sunday roast beef. The portion was fine and the beef was well prepared and tasty but the potatoes were over cooked and tough and the veg was really not good. My husband had the trout which was tasty but overcooked. We did not order puddings but did have a cheese plate. Decent selection of cheese but a fairly small portion. Chutney was tasty but there were not enough crackers. So nothing about this visit was really horrible but everything together just did not make it a place I would bother to visit again. We tried it based on Trip Advisor recommendations which just goes to show that you can only trust reviews so far. We rarely take a chance on a new place when entertaining so perhaps this was our warning to return to that school of thought.

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear VMJengland,
Thank you for your review.
Firstly, I would like to apologise that the experience wasn't as you expected. Our menu is reduced on a Sunday in order to accommodate the number of guests we have on what is our busiest day of the week. Overall this has been well-received, but something we will look at again, specifically Sunday evenings.
There is no excuse for a fragmented delivery of your food and I completely understand that it is even more uncomfortable when you are entertaining guests and their food arrives after yours. This is a training issue and the team will be briefed about this.
Finally, I will pass on your feedback about the food to the kitchen, particarly the roast potatoes. We have a brigade of very talented chefs and the basics you mention should be achieved on a consistent basis.
It would be great if we could have the opportunity to welcome you back and demonstrate our normal form! Please can I ask that you contact me directly at The Chester Fields and I can go through your experience in more detail.
I very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

nice furnishing and very clean, had the 2 courses for £20.12 the quality is good but the choice is very limited the price of the drinks is a joke, whould i go back ? food maybe, drinks not on your life

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hi,
Many thanks for your review.
Firstly, it is great that you enjoy our food. With regards to your point on the choice being limited, we think that we offer tremendous value for what equates to £10.06 for a starter and a main course. The choice on our £20.12 menu is 3 starters and 3 mains. Each course has a fish, meat and vegetarian option. If you find that too little to choose from then we also have our a la carte menu, with 12 starter options, 4 different steaks, 11 main courses, 3 sharing boards, a selection of 8 side dishes and 5 types of sandwich. There is also our dessert and coffee menu. Everything we cook and prepare is fresh, using quality produce, locally sourced where possible.
This joke about our drinks prices, that clearly we have not been let in on, is interesting. We receive lots of positive feedback about our drinks prices. In fact, in many instances we are significantly lower than our competitors. Weetwood ales' Cheshire Cat springs to mind. We often check our immediate local pub competition (Nags Head, Shrewsbury Arms, Dunham on the Hill) for our bar prices and at least price match on our house brands. This is before we even look at what our out-of-town competitors are doing. Our premium spirits and mixers are as cheap as you will find anywhere. Where we may differ is with our wines. We use 4 different suppliers for our list which we try to make interesting and unique. However £3.75 for a glass of house wine is well priced. On Fridays we have our POETS society from 4pm to 6.12pm where all beers, house spirits and house wine are £2.12. Extortionate, I know. We have Wine Down Wednesdays where all wines that are £25 or more are discounted by 25%. A total rib-tickler.
If you would like to contact me at the restaurant then I will be more than happy to discuss your points in more detail, particularly our drinks offering.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We called in for the mid week lunch and took advantage of the two courses for £20.12. The offer menu had a choice of three starters and three main courses. The starters were good but we were disappointed with the very small portion served for the main courses. I had a very small portion of chicken and my partner had an extremely small piece of haddock, there was barely anything on his plate. The main course had taken a long time to arrive and the waitress apologised for the delay when she finally brought it. They are obviously getting something right judging by all the positive reviews but we certainly didn't feel particularly positive about our experience here.

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear mpkljp2011,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am sorry that you were dissappointed when you visited us on Friday. We did experience some food delays on Friday lunch, so I would like to reiterate my colleages apology.
With regards to our 2 courses for 2 people for £20.12 (£10.06 per person for 2 courses), the portions do tend to be more modest than on our a la carte menu. We don't compromise on the quality of the ingredients used for the dish and the price is excellent value, but I will certainly mention it to the Chef and see what we can do for this weeks offering.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.