“Not good”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Went for post-wedding meal and drinks as party of 16 after my sister's big day (wedding Saturday, meal for family at Chester fields Sunday). Il keep it short as don't want to go on. Main points that spring to mind are that no one came to take drinks orders, we were forgotten about, I waited 2 and a quarter hrs for a pretty basic burger after starters were served over a period of about half an hr. Place was packed but no excuse, they should have enough staff on to keep up with their bookings. We booked well in advance. Id imagine if you go as a couple at a quiet time to this place it would be ok, but for me, and my family, it was a pretty horrible experience.

1  Thank cazwaz
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Many thanks for your review. Please can I ask that you contact me directly at The Chester Fields to discuss your experience and review. I certainly do not think that what you have described is a fair reflection of your experience. Whilst I appreciate that the service may have felt fragmented and slow, I can assure you that on our part we worked hard to deliver what was agreed despite trying to direct the organisers in a direction that would have ensured a smoother event. I dealt with both the booking and reservation process with your party personally, as well as oversaw your food delivered from the kitchen. My colleague (and Duty Manager) Claire spoke with your party on the day...
The timings you describe are inaccurate and the lack of service simply not true. We allocated one waiter to solely look after your party. In her first attempt to take a drinks order, as soon as you arrived, she was asked to return in a couple of minutes time. When she did, everyone was greeting each other it was difficult to get attention, which then impacts the speed of the order taking and the speed of drinks service. When one waiter went off duty for her break, another took over you table and only your table.
On the run up to the event, as we do with all bookings over 10 guests, we offered to send the menu prior for a pre-order, which we did. I also advised option of splitting the table into 2 for the purpose of food order taking and cooking. We are simply unable to take an order for 22 guests off a la carte all at once. This is due to the size of the pass in the kitchen for one and the impact on other diner in terms of food waits. You decided that you would like to order on the day and it was made absolutely clear by me that the order would be taken in 2 parts, served in 2 parts with each table following the other very shortly after by more more than a few minutes. The first check came on at 16.04, the second check came on directly after at 16.09. The starters took 10 minutes for the first check and a further 5 minutes after that for the second half of the tables' starters to arrive. The rest of the meal followed a similar pattern, with even more focus placed on ensuring speed of service (as after the starters were served a member of the party asked for the mains to all be served together, at which point Claire explained again the reasons why we could not).
Finally, yes it was a busy day, but no busier than a normal Sunday and with regards to the amount of staff we had on duty, we were working with a full team. I am truly sorry you had a horrible experience and, of course, this is certainly not how we would like our guests to reflect on their visits to us. But I cannot emphasise enough that we did everything we could both on the lead up to and on the day to your meal to make the day seamless. And, quite frankly, to say you waited 2 and 1/4 hours is simply not true.
Like I mentioned earlier, if you would like to contact me to discuss your experience I am more than happy to do so. As I am sure you will note from all of our responses on TA, we hold our hands up when we get it wrong, learn where we can improve and take the good with the not so good. But on this occasion I am afraid I disagree with the comments.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

So disappointed! Had a fantastic first visit and was looking forward to returning again.
Will start with the good things
The venue is lovely.
Most of the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and polite
Nice bar area to relax.

Not so good
My meal! I ordered the spatchcock chicken with vanilla mash and green beans. The chicken was stringy and tasteless. My friend ordered the ox cheek and it was delicious, another friend had the venison and it too was not a good choice.

I really wanted to complain but as my friend was paying for my meal as a treat i felt too uncomfortable to do so.

Then as we had eaten early our table had been booked again. We were very politely asked to move to the bar area with the offer of complimentary teas, coffees or drinks. The waitress then just walked off. We did order a tea and coffee from the gentleman behind the bar and again as I wasn't taking care of the bill, have no idea if she was put in the embarrassing position of having to ask if the kind offer stood.

Such a shame, wanted a lovely evening out with a fantastic meal and it didn't happen!

1  Thank Interested1328
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Hello again!
Thank you once again for your review. I am glad that you decided to come back following your first visit, unfortunately it appears we did not hit the heights of last time!
First and foremost, it is great that you enjoy the venue so much. We encourage the team to use their personalities and I hope that comes through.
With regards to the food, all the dishes that you had are new on the menu this week and I have already given your feedback to the Chef. I have also managed to speak to the members of the team who looked after you on Friday and would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly, so that I can give you a more detailed response - I can, however, assure you that the bill was amended accordingly!
I very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I wrote directly to the restaurant via email on this matter but got no reply. Love the restaurant and atmosphere, but as someone who dies not eat meat I find the menu limiting. I do eat fish, but the fish dish on the menu has meat in it as well, and I have had the mushroom taglietelle twice now for dinner...I recommend another fish dish without the meat in it to give more variety to the dinner menu.

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Sarah,
Thank you for contacting us directly via email - I am glad you have been in since and tasted our new fish and vegetarian options. They are going down an absolute storm and so many of our guests have commented positively about our new menu.
Sarah, thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again next Friday!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

From meeting Hannah our waitress to getting the bill our experience was 5 star. On entering this warm building, full of character, we were greeted by friendly staff. We were immediately shown to our table which was on the mezzanine level, although there were many tables on the ground floor level, if access is a consideration. The wine and food were exceptional. The warm, gooey, chocolate Brownie was outstanding and I should know as I've indulged in many Brownie's over my 45 years and none have come close to the one served at Chester Fields. Book a meal here, receive excellent food and service in a beautiful setting, I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Claire J !
Many thanks for your review - unfortunately yours was one that had been posted on a duplicate page so we have only been able to respond today (30.10.12)
Well it looks like Hannah has been at it again! It is superb to read that you enjoyed your meal, atmosphere and wine so much, as well as being looked after so well by the team. I will be sure to pass on your comments, as we always do, and in particular Hannah.
We have the brownies primed and ready for consumption on your next visit and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have been meaning to try this for a while, so the inlaws gave us a good excuse last night (23 Oct 12) we turned up with no booking to find that it was a special evening with 50% off for pre bookings.... oops! So it was pretty full, but Hannah our amazing hostess sorted it within minutes and we had a fantastic table with no time limit - and so started an amazing evening of both service and food.... we couldn't fault anything, we had the shared fish board starter, plenty between 4 even though it stated for 2 - OMG, delicious, then Hake with Chorizo, Burger, 7 hour Lamb and Gammon steak - 4 cleared plates and lots of ummmmm's and ahhhhh's

The Inlaws will be singing your praises in Cornwall too and we have already started spreading the word with family and friends.. Bravo!

Dear Shenessa!
Every 3rd tuesday in September, October and in November, we have offered 50% off all food when making a reservation. As you can imagine, this has been very popular and is a great opportunity to showcase our food at an unbelievable price. I am also glad that Hannah sorted it all out for you. Hannah has been with us since we opened and is a real asset to the team. There will be no living with her now that you have mentioned her on TA - we have enough trouble keeping her feet on the ground as it is!!!!
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you visit us again very soon.