“Great friendly country pub”
Review of The Chester Fields

The Chester Fields
Ranked #81 of 576 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great food, lovely staff and lots of activities including farmers market

1  Thank Sue c
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Hi Sue and thank you very much for reviewing us, and as you mentioned we really enjoy delivering our Farmers Markets each month, the next one is on
Saturday 21st July when we will have Falconry and our lovely Foodie stalls with a few new additions, so please come back and see us again soon.
We hope the weather will be on our side next time!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Our first visit was a very pleasant experience.. We came as a result of two independent recommendations. Good food and service. We shall definitely be coming back soon

1  Thank David S
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Hi there David and thank you so much for posting a review for us, and very pleased that 2 people recommended us to you ! We very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We came for our first visit on a recommendation, the food and the service was very good. We chose to come again to celebrate our daughters 20th birthday and booked a table for 6. We were so disappointed, the waitress dropped cutlery twice. After ordering our food the waitress came back to tell us that there were no burger buns left, two of our party had ordered this and still decided to have the burger, no bread alternative or discount was offered although the waitress said they could have bacon included. The meal looked very sad and lost on the wooden platter. The bass was the smallest portion we had ever seen. We felt the meals were overpriced and the quality wasn't good..Due to this we declined dessert.

1  Thank PCB35
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Hi there and thank you very much for taking the time to write this review for us.

I must start by apologising to you for our errors here, and whereas we could forgive a new member of staff for dropping cutlery, the fact that we did not offer any compensation for running out of burger buns (which is unacceptable in itself seeing as it's one of our best selling dishes) is much less forgivable.

I also feel that we should have taken the bass off the menu if it was not of the correct size.

Please accept our apologies and as we always say in our responses, it is so important that we hear as much feedback, good and bad, which enables us to constantly improve and develop our business.

We sincerely hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I'd heard good things about this place and I'm pleased to say it lived up to my expectations. The service was perfect, the waitresses coping with our peculiarities with humour and patience. The food was lovely, my steak was perhaps a little overdone for medium rare but it did not detract. The roast beef had by another of our party looked mouthwatering and the salmon steak was pronounced out of this world. The beer (Weetwood Cheshire Cat, what's not to love?!) was well kept and the wines well presented, the red was even decanted at the table. The puds and cheeses were delicious and the port and dessert wines matched well. We had a top night out and would happily recommend it!!

Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear sweetpea!
Thank you so much for your review - unfortunately yours was one that had been posted on a duplicate page so we have only been able to respond today (30.10.12).
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Cheshire Cat (it is still on now...) and our team looked after you and all your quirks so efficiently!!! We have had a menu change since you visited us in June but the steaks are still on there and wowing our guests!
Hopefully we will see you back at The Chester Fields very soon.
Kind regards, Michael

Reviewed June 4, 2012

The moment we arrived in the restaurant we were welcomed by a lovely and friendly lady. The atmosphere was very cozy and yet classy. The lady immediately took us to our table. I ordered the sirloin steak and my bf had the fish and chips for mains and a goats cheese tartlet and mussels for starters. My dish was delicious but was a bit over done as I wanted it to be medium, but nevertheless it was full of flavour and the fine beans that came with ( by my request) was perfectly cooked and seasoned. For my bf, the starters he both had were delicious and his main was pretty good. For dessert, we both enjoyed it. I had the apple crumble and my bf had the 3 scoop ice cream ( wild cherry, strawberry and milk). We both enjoyed the apple crumble and my bf even said that it is one of the best he had. He also loved the ice cream.
Overall, my bf and I would highly recommend this place. If you happen to be in Chester, it's definitely worth a visit!

Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit from the moment you arrived, we do feel that the welcome our guests receive is as important as any other part of the experience, so thank you for mentioning that. It is a shame that your steak was a little over done and of course we would have changed it for you but glad that you enjoyed the flavour.

Our ice cream is supplied by an award winning local farm called Backford Belles and they are well known for their consistency and fabulous flavours, we will pass on your comments to the ladies there!

Thank you also for your recommendation, we are still only 7 months old and every single review is incredibly important to us.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.