“Posh Pub”
Review of The Chester Fields

The Chester Fields
Ranked #47 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chester England
“Posh Pub”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We ate here a few times when it was The Barn & easily rated it as one of the best restaurants in Chester. We visited the new 'Chester Fields' as a party of 4 on a Sunday night after reccommendations from friends & good reviews online.

Upon entering the building we noticed that gone was the quirky stylish classy interior & in with the 'posh pub' decor. Don't get me wrong, it is very nice but it no longer feels like a restaurant.

The menu also reflected a pub with most dishes being English classics like fish & chips, gammon, shepherds pie, sausage & mash etc. we were rather disappointed as we were celebrating a special occasion & hadn't realised the menu would differ so much from last time. In fairness some of the starters were more exciting and I'd highly reccommend the cod cheeks. Yum!
Deserts were also very standard but highly priced at nearly £6 each.
The rump steak one of us had at £16.50 was very average.

The service was very average; same as what you would get in your average pub.

I think for the prices that they are charging the menu needs to be more exciting & interesting & the service a little more attentive... We were passed hot plates, glasses not cleared, had to ask for steak knife etc.

I would probably return for lunch but not for dinner & not for a special occasion.

2 Thank WorldFoodSunLover
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Hi Amy and thank you very much for writing this review, we have found it incredibly helpful. It is very important that we take the good with the bad and although you have mentioned some positives about your experience here, you have been underwhelmed by The Chester Fields which of course we must take very seriously. On a (slightly) side note, The Barn (as it was) was a very different offering from The Chester Fields and it was a very deliberate move on our part to make it much more of a Pub environment. The service issues are however not acceptable, and the Duty Managers have had additional training and coaching based on your comments.
Thanks Amy and I do hope you’ll come and try us out again, please make sure you let us know when you’re coming so we can welcome you in.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Superb Sunday Roast”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My partner and I visited The Chester Fields this afternoon for the first time.
We both ordered the Sunday Roast which was absolutely beautiful. The service was first class.
Some of the reviews on here say that it's not the cheapest place to eat, I believe that you get what you pay for, I would rather pay a little extra and leave totally satisfied.
Thanks for a lovely meal.
A beautiful building with a lovely atmosphere.
We wish you well in your new venture.
See you very soon.

• Visited February 2012
Hi there Chesterrob and thank you very much for posting this review for us. We all really enjoy serving on a Sunday, there’s always a great vibe in the restaurant. I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the service, we invest a lot of time into training our staff so we really appreciate you commenting on it. Value for money is important to us, and together with our specials board and the variety of the menu, we have tried to accommodate all budgets - with quality fresh produce at the forefront. We’re delighted you were satisfied.
Looking forward to seeing you again Rob.
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Visited Chester Fields for my wife's birthday after reading the excellent reviews on TA.

Rang and booked a table only 3 days in advance and was fitted in with no problem. Had a courtesy call on the Friday lunchtime to confirm the booking which was a nice touch.

The actual restaurant was excellent. Lovely building, great decor, lots of privacy around the tables so you can talk to people you're with without all and sundry hearing you.

Food was exceptional- I had the bubble and sqeak potato cakes for starters and the Beef and Mushroom pie with mash for main. Both dishes were spot on.
My wife had the chicken strips for starters which I tried and were great. For main she had gammon and vegetables, this was meant to be with chips but she asked for veg which was delivered with no problems.

This is a good quality place without being stuffy and pretentious. It's also not the cheapest place to eat but it's not over the top expensive. 4 drinks, 2 starters and 2 mains for £45.

Would definitely recommend and can't wait to visit again.

The waiter was excellent, continuously checking that the food was good, and asking if he could do anymore.

1 Thank MarkBTID
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Hi there Mark and thank you so much for reviewing us. We really do appreciate all of our guests comments and I am delighted that you had such a nice experience. We are just in the process of finalising our new menus and you’ll be pleased to hear that we are keeping the Bubble & Squeak potato cake on ... it’s one of our favourites too !
I’m so glad that you commented on the privacy as this was a real focus when we were designing the building .. cosy, intimate tables were a top priority.
Thanks again Mark and I very much look forward to meeting you and your wife soon.
Cheshire
“A real find we will be returning!”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We have just had a fantastic first meal at the Chester Fields and what a great place it is!

My husband and I opted for the roast beef Sunday dinner, beautiful! My son liked the children's menu especially the doughnut, marshmallow and chocolate dip dessert (afew starter options for children would be the only change I would like to see) and he loved the arcade games upstairs in the games room, a nice touch.

The place is very nicely decorated and the service was attentive and friendly. It is not a cheap place, 2 adult and 1 child mains and desserts with a drink each came to just over £50 but we will be calling again! it would be nice to maybe see some midweek or early dining offers in which case we would be here alot more frequently!

Hi there pendragonk and thank you for writing this review for us ... really good feedback for us and whereas our children’s menu has gone down very well so far – you are the first person to make these suggestions, perfect timing as we are just preparing our new menus!
It isn’t in our immediate plan to promote dining offers, we do feel that our product is a balance of good value and good quality, but nothing is ever set in stone and we are totally at the mercy of our customers so the suggestion will most certainly be investigated! Thanks again and please say hi next time you’re in, it would be nice to thank you personally.
north wales
“The Chester Fields”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We went to the Chester Fields last night after reviewing the glowing reports from satisfied guests.On arrival we were really impressed, a really impressive place, very much to our liking. We were eager to sit down and place our order.
We started with the sharing loaf with balsamic vinegar. Lovely fresh bread but it was not a loaf, it was two bap sized loaves stuck together. I was disappointed that about that but more so that the bread was stone cold and I mean cold.
The starters were the potato cake which my husband said was very good.I had the cod cheek starter. It was delicious but the two cod cheeks were minuscule. Perhaps I was unlucky there?
For our mains, my husband had the burger, which he said was very nice but the twice cut chips were very greasy and had absorbed the fat. I had the braised beef.The beef was nicely cooked but the sauce quite tasteless.
We didn't have a dessert because it was getting late.
There was one thing that I personally would address at this restaurant.One of the waitresses was wearing jeans!! Even McDonalds staff are better presented than that !!
All in all, a lovely place to dine but has a few teething problems. Next time I would try the lunch but I wouldn't dash back for an evening meal. Sorry.

• Visited February 2012
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Hi there baal and thank you very much for writing this response – we really appreciate each and every review that we receive as we believe this is how we learn, and make our product better.
I have had a chat with Chef and he whole heartedly agrees with the chips issue (on this particular night), we agree with you that it is not acceptable to serve sub-standard chips in a country Pub! We have talked about the other issues and we are sincerely sorry that your experience didn’t match up to your expectations, of course we would very much like you to return to show you how well we can do. My email address is izzy@thechesterfields.co.uk, please book with me directly.
On the issue of uniform – and therefore an integral part of our brand – we are indeed a pub! Jeans are a very important part of the overall look and feel of The Chester Fields and we do believe that this is in-keeping with our overall pubby, rustic feel. I’m sorry you don’t agree on this point.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back, so as mentioned, please email me directly to make your booking so we can make sure you go away next time with a much more positive view.
Kindest, Izzy x