“Amazing meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chester Fields

The Chester Fields
Ranked #44 of 548 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Amazing meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

Booked last night for a meal. Hoped it would be as nice as it is was when it was the barn, wasn't disappointed! Food, presentation and service was 2nd to none. I'm a fussy eater and a huge critic but couldn't fault it! Our waiter Jason (hope that's right) was very attentive and looked after our every need. Will definatley be returning soon!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Hi there and thank you for reviewing us .. we are incredibly grateful as we really need to know from our customers directly how we are performing. I am so glad that you had a good experience and we very much look forward to you coming back to The Chester Fields. Thanks again (no Jason here though, could be Anthony?)

Chester, United Kingdom
“What Chester needed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the staff could not do enough for us!
They got everything right from the decor & atmosphere to the food & drink. Nothing was too much, from the off list drinks to the free retro video games after the meal!
The perfect balance of excellent quality in a relaxed setting!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Hi there Hazel, and thank you so much for writing this review. I am very pleased that you felt the overall ambience was nice, we worked hard to make sure that all the little bits and pieces were considered and thought through. And of course the games .. everyone loves the games, even us ! Please come back and see us soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Awesome location with really friendly staff and YUMMYYY food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I am normally not one that write reviews, but after now my fourth visit in a row to The Chester Fields, I HAVE to tell you about this place!

As soon as I arrived, it was obvious that this place has been designed with care and a lot of thought as to its use for both, business and family. A very large off road car park to start with, and a lovely outside area with amazing views. I can't wait for the summer to start as I'm sure they must have something lined up to use that space! Once inside, it is obvious that equally a lot of personal thought has gone in its design. Not only the bar looks great with the wine box front and the cosy fires in the restaurant area, but there is also an upstaires area for entertainment with retro space invador tables and a full wall of Scrabble wallpaper - all Chester villages have been hidden into this wall paper to find!!! And even more interesting is the fact that the tables even have the names of all the local suppliers etched into them. Which brings us to the locally sourced food....
The menu has a lot of variety on it, from the good old steak to an amazing Crayfish risotto. Simple food prepared just DELICIOUS! And that was no surprise to me when I noticed that Mark was running the place, as I recognised him from his exceptional customer friendly approach in his previous restaurant and that attitude has clearly rubbed off on his staff. Nice people but not over the top.

If I had to mention one thing that I may not have liked as much, is the fact that the ladies toilets are upstaires and a nuisance when on stilletos I'm afraid...

Overall, great place and going back next week!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Hello Cinderella and thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the upstairs area, it has proved quite a hit both with kids and parents alike, it seems we all played pac man and donkey kong when we were growing up ! It’s very nice that you have noticed the little details, not everyone does as it’s the whole picture and experience that we were keen to create but it’s lovely when someone picks out the special bits and pieces ... I can’t tell you how much fun we had putting it altogether. And on that note, you were right to mention more surprises to come outside. We are just finalising our plans for our gardens (and the rest of the land). As you have identified, there is huge scope to do something really special so please keep in touch and we can let you know the details as soon as they are decided. The new menu is also on its way and it is our intention to keep the dishes simple and the produce very good quality, so I hope that we deliver on your next visit as well as we have on the previous four ! Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you back at The Chester Fields.
Chester
“Exited-But Let Down!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Having been long time customers of The Grill and Bar Lounge we have seen Mark in Action and expected the best, Let me firstly say this was not our first visit and was a masive let down in comparison! My wife and me visited in December for my birthday and everything was perfect! Tonight though was a different story, The main was a combination of cold chips and a warm rib of beef(£25 ish) we complained about the chips and they were changed but then felt awkward complaining about the beef but there was no apology or any recognition on the bill! Let me point out though this is a fantastic venue!! But Mark please take a walk roung and talk to your customers. You were there all night but concentrated on just a few!! We will come back but expect alot more and will not let it go next time!!!!!!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Hi there Nick and firstly, thank you for posting this review. Things do not always go swimmingly and it’s so important that we address the bad as well as the good. It also helps us improve the service that we give to guests and this is where we need to spend the majority of our time. I am responding to you as the Trip Advisor account is my name but please be rest assured that Mark has read your review and my response has come directly from him (in fact, if you email me via the website then Mark will contact you personally).

The fact that the chips were cold and then the beef was warm is very unfortunate and we have spoken to the kitchen to understand how this could have happened. There seems no specific reason and therefore we can only apologise. Mark is also very aware that he should have spent more time on the floor on Saturday – unfortunately he does do a great deal of work behind the scenes in the kitchen and like you, we would all much prefer to see him spend all of his time front of house! Had he had sufficient time on Saturday evening to have a chat with all of the guests then I’m sure you would have had the opportunity to make your complaint to him directly ... this would have been a better solution all round. Nick, once again thanks for taking the time to review us and please let Mark know when you’re next visiting. We’ll make sure you’ll have a much better experience.
cheshire
“Cosy, welcoming & fantastic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

The Chester Fields is my ideal restaurant, simple as that! My wife & I & our daughter have just had a fantastic meal there & it certainly won't be our last visit. You can always tell when thought has been put into a design & at The Chester Fields those little extras make all the difference. It's large but cosy, split into different areas over 2 floors it could cope with a large party as well as it would a snack with the Sunday papers. Open fires, comfy seating, welcoming staff and a great choice of beers & wines at the bar, and that's before you've even picked up a menu! The menu had a great variety complemented by a specials board & we genuinely struggled to choose. I eventually decided to start with salt & pepper cod cheek nuggets followed by the belly pork, my wife choosing mussels to start & also going for the pork. All of the food was great, lovely mix of flavours really separating The Chester Fields from your standard pub grub meal. Price wise it was very competitive against any typical pub meal but you really do get more for your money. Ambience, comfort & great food, The Chester Fields is highly recommended whether its a romantic meal, a party, family meal, snack or just a quiet drink you can't go far wrong.

1 Thank foreverunited
Hi there and thank you so much for writing such a detailed review for us here at The Chester Fields. One of our main objectives was to turn a large open space into a cosy, comfortable pub and I am very pleased that you liked it. Much thought has also been given to the needs of a family and the children’s menu is (hopefully) nutritious and good value. Again, real ales are important to our customers and we are spoiled for choice with some amazing independent breweries in Cheshire, of very good quality. We do hope that our food is tasty, Chef Gareth Jones and his team work really hard to deliver consistent quality. Produce is always checked thoroughly as it enters the kitchen, as we believe great food can only be delivered by using great produce. Thanks again and we very much look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Chester Fields.