“Beautiful food, great ambience”
Review of Artichoke

Artichoke
Ranked #24 of 561 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Contempory cafe, bar and bistro. From Sunday Roast to coffee, tea and toast, cocktails to real ales. Relaxed and friendly service combined with quality food and drinks. A great range of homemade cakes, real ale from Cheshire breweries, continental lager and artisan beers, modern bistro dining using the finest local suppliers and a wine and cocktail list second to none.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful food, great ambience”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very nice meal, great service, not too pricey given the incredibly high standard of food. Highly recommend the Clam chowder!

Visited August 2013

Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
“what a find”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We found the artichoke by accident while out for a stroll whilst we were staying at the nearby premier inn it is situated next to the canal and we decided to stop for a drink. The choice of beers is vast and I had to ask the barman for his recommendation, I was not dissapointed. The ale was clear with a creamy head and my wife and I settled outside for a drink by the canal before moving on. After 5 hours and a pizza (which was cooked to perfection)later we thought we had better leave. I cannot praise the staff enough we were waited on all afternoon whilst watching the barges and the ducks go by in a very friendly atmosphere and when we had enough we paid our bill and left. Our only regret is we did not find this place earlier and we will definitely return on our next visit to chester

2 Thank Jane H
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Delightful hideaway along the canal”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I went to Artichoke on Saturday for Lunch, there was plenty of seating available, my drink I ordered at the bar arrived quickly and I ordered my food, The Cod with creamy spiced prawns, pickled fennel and red onion on minted new potatoes, was delicious my only criticism was due to the various sizes of the potatoes some we still quite hard, though that would be the same anywhere. I also had Dessert Jam Roly Poly, with custard and Ice cream, that was made to perfection, I have visited several restaurants/cafe's in Chester and this has to be one of the best places I have eaten and extremely good Value to, my food, 2 vodka and orange and a Coffee came to just over £30 I had to check the bill to make sure they had'nt forgot to add something. The staff were friendly without being overly so, food deliverd quickly and delicious and right on the canal, now my friend has moved close by I can see this being a regular place. Go with a empty stomach you'll need to to get through the large portions.

1 Thank prettysweetgirl
Chester, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have had several great meals as a family at this restaurant particularly on a Sunday evening. My 15 year old chose to return on Thursday to celebrate his GCSE results...... However imagine how disappointed we were to be told that we could not access the restaurant due to the fact that children are not allowed in after seven! Fuel to this fire was added when we challenged this by sharing with staff that we had eaten as a family on numerous occasions previously only to be told that there was no way we couldn't have as the licensing laws would not allow this!!!!.

What an archaic approach to eating this restaurant is demonstrating.

I am thoroughly appalled at their inability to provide a family friendly approach to dining.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Helen B
Chester, United Kingdom
“A relaxed lunch by the canal”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Husband and I went to Artichoke on Monday for our anniversary lunch. It was the first time he had been there, second for me. There was a very relaxed atmosphere, we had not booked and chose to sit in the front café section at a table looking out through open French doors to the canal. There was a surprising amount of traffic, boats and pedestrians walking along the canal, this is obviously an up and coming area. We noticed the blackboard said they served the best Bloody Mary in Chester so hubby went for that. I naturally, had a glass of champagne. Hubby has his own recipe for Bloody Mary and didn't really enjoy this one, too much lemon juice he said and not enough Lea and Perrins, and too much crushed ice.
Anyway, on to food, hubby decided not to have a starter, I did, a very tasty and well put together plate of asparagus, chorizo, tomato and a poached egg. We had also chosen some Montepulciano wine from a very interesting wine list.
Mains, for some reason he chose a cheese pie which he didn't enjoy much, I had the lamb which was delicious with lovely vegetables with it, the wine was very good.
Difficult decision on the puddings, Ameretto cake or Limoncillo syllabub? Try both. Also he had a cheese board which was his star of the show.
I had a lovely meal, his was not so successful but I tend to think that was in the choice made.
It was quite a buzzy place with people walking along the canal calling in for a drink or snack, people having lunch, and later on a troup of mums with pushchairs presumably for their Capuccino hour. Service was relaxed, food (mine anyway) excellent. I'd go again, not sure about him...