“Birthday Meal”

Artichoke
Ranked #21 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Contempory cafe, bar and bistro. From Sunday Roast to coffee, tea and toast, cocktails to real ales. Relaxed and friendly service combined with quality food and drinks. A great range of homemade cakes, real ale from Cheshire breweries, continental lager and artisan beers, modern bistro dining using the finest local suppliers and a wine and cocktail list second to none.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked Artichoke for my Partners Birthday. On arrival we were greeted by warm friendly staff and seated right away at our table. The food was amazing, there was know holding back on the size of the portions, presentation waslovely and the staff were very friendly will be visiting again in the future.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

this was my first time at artichokes n it will not be my last. the place is lovely throughout and the food was awesome, the staff were very friendly n helpful too

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My friends highly recommended this restaurant to me so I had high expectations.
My expectations were met. There was a great selection on the menu and lots of different dishes which I hadn't seen on a menu together. I had great difficulty deciding what to have but knew I needed to leave space for one of the gorgeous looking cakes out on the bar.
All the food we had was lovely and the service was very good.
The only thing I didn't like about this restaurant was the bar men shouting "away" very loudly very frequently everytime a drinks order was ready.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We found the Artichoke quite by chance looking for a restaurant for a meal on a mid-week evening. A little off the beaten track it is situated by the side of the canal accessed by steps down from the road leading to the railway station from the centre of the city.

We were greeted by friendly, smiling staff and shown to a table for four near to the bar area and served a drink whilst we selected our choice from a varied menu. There was a birthday party celebration just starting up and the bar area became quite full with a pleasant, noisy chatter from the crowd without ever becoming too intrusive. I agree with other reviewers that the clientelle seemed to come from the 30 - 40 age group and all the people were well-dressed, lively and created a nice, well-behaved and trendy atmosphere.

We chose four dishes from the wide menu, steak, pizza, fish and chicken. All four dishes were delightful, beautifully cooked, served quickly and we demolished them.....! Two of us had room for a pud and we chose choclate sticky pudding and an arctic roll. Both were obviously home made, delicious and disappeared rapidly. The service from the delightful waitresses was quick, friendly made a pleasant change from some of the sloppy service that is the norm in many places these days.

Altogether a lovely dining experience in a very pleasant location and one which I will be sure to repeat.

One word about the few poor reviews for this location if I may. The bad reviews have mainly centred on the policy towards children and should really be taken as a totally seperate criticism and divorced from the other aspects of the place which, in my opinion are hard to fault. Whatever the background to these reviews, if you do not have children in your party and wish to dine after the (clearly advertised ) late evening restriction on age, this is most definitely a restaurant to visit. We will most certainly be going again on our next visit to Chester.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Found this bistro by accident what a find got to be the best sunday lunch wev`e had in years great portions and top quality food, lovely atmosphere and very attentive staff who made us very welcome. Have never written a review before but felt we had to after such a lovely meal will return on our next visit to chester

1  Thank michael r