“ASTONISHING! QUITE SUPERB!!!”

Barton Rouge
Ranked #119 of 554 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“ASTONISHING! QUITE SUPERB!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Superb restaurant in every respect, modern without being 'over the top' good location, professional, attentive staff, who really were on the ball ......and the food? Simply out of this world. I cannot think of a finer Indian restaurant.

Nantwich, United Kingdom
“On the verge of 'excellent' - but still work to do..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Having read previous reviews I can understand the thoughts that this is not an intimate dining experience - lots of rectangular tables laid out regimentary fashion in a very 'open hall' dining area. This was a releatively quiet Tuesday evening but i could imagine it getting quiet raucous!
Excellent menu choice with the 'usual suspects' but lots of Himalayan specialities. My fish starter was tasty but a very small portion. My wifes chicken perfectly cooked, tender & tasty.
I went for a Himalayan lamb dish which was exceptional - slow cooked lamb that melted in the mouth. The chicken tikka in my wifes dish was a little disappointing as it was not as tender as the starter - obviously precooked and added to the sauce (as i expect most indian restaurants operate) - pity as the diference was noticeable. Mushroom pilau and naan as accompaniments were good.
We found the service was efficient but not very personal - although the waiter did advice me that my lamb dish might not be as hot as i would expect so he would ask the chef to give it a bit more spice.
Overall impression was that this restaurant could go either way as a fine dining experience or a canteen buffet 'all you can eat' affair. I expect the owners would prefer the former but they could really do with more attention to detail (no soap or hand towels in the toilets for example), more personal attitude from the staff, a more comfortable dining arrangement and better presentation of the food.
Yes - we will be going back as the taste of the food was very good - but would like to see them up their game a bit next time.

2 Thank NantwichFlatley
Neston, United Kingdom
“Ohh dear!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Myself & fiance booked a meal here for 8.30pm saturday 27th October. We arrived on time and were told at reception we would need to wait 10 minutes so were asked to go to the bar area. No Problem we thought, after 5 mins my fiance suddenly realised how would they know who we were as the bar area was quite full. We asked a member of staff who said we should have been gven a pager device to tell us when the table was ready. She got us one straight away. 35 mintues later we were still siting there, after another 5 minutes we decied to leave.

I must say our impressions on the way out of the dining area were rather disapointing, it was packed to the hilt and the tables were regimented into lines like a school canteen, very noisy everyone crowded together no fine dining ambience whatsoever. We both fail to understand why this place was so popular perhaps the food is brilliant?

We obviously did not get to eat so cannot comment on food quality but I suspect the waiting time at the dining table and waiter service must be poor, we were left discarded for more than 40 minutes. Won't be going back.

• Visited October 2012
“Outstanding. Ticked all the boxes .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were staying in Chester for our ten year wedding anniversary and came across the restaurant by chance. I'm really pleased we did. From the moment we walked through the door we were impressed. The staff at Barton rouge were pleasant, attentive, well presented and nothing was too much trouble. The food was out of this world. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We live near Leeds and will definitely be dining there again soon even.if we don't stay over.

“The food was excellent apart from the starters were cold.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant was without question the best Indian in Chester when it first opened.

However when we ate last night there were a few issues.

We booked a table for 4 and when we arrived we were directed to the bar area, I ordered a nice bottle of wine £30 but had to ask the waiter to serve it, it was left on the bar! He did though. I was also asked to pay for drinks instead I wanted to set a tab up !

The food is great, however the starters were cold.

The Currys were excellent , but having had great service in there for the last 12 months it was not as good last night. It was very busy and the staff were just rushed of their feet. They forgot orders for drinks etc.

I will definitely return and don't let this put you off as the staff are great but standards have slipped slightly ! But still one of the best in Chester if not the best!