“Don't bother”

The Spice Balti
Ranked #310 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Don't bother”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Ordered food for delivery, should have been £15, online said 20% discount would be added. Total was £28, no explanation for this. Food was awful, meat was poor quality. Just avoid!!!

• Visited July 2013
7 Thank Darcylilac

“Amazing”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have been to alot of indian restaurants but i could happily say this is the best place in chester me and my party was realy impressed real indian food.

2 Thank jayyyt
Chester, United Kingdom
“loved the food”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

great food, good service. had one of the house specials (vindaloo hot) loved it, even the girlfriend liked it and she dislikes spicy food !! was full of flavour without the heat and she said she would try it with the spices cooled :)

2 Thank steve j
Oldham, United Kingdom
“8 free plates of chips is not a substitute for quality!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

after a day at Chester races, our stag party could quite happily have eaten a horse.

Sadly we went to the Spice Balti, where it was overcooked chicken or bland lamb on the menu.

To cut a very long story (we were in there for well over 3 hours).....very slow service, pretty poor food (i've never sen a peshwari nan whose insides are made from cheese wotsits) and a misleading trip to the toilets that results in you opening the door on an Indian family watching tv!!

My advice, get to Tesco, you could buy a frozen curry and a cheap microwave for the same price....and you may also finally get to eat that horse you've been hankering for.

avoid.

p.s. not quite sure why we were given so many chips but thanks....we appreciate oven chips aren't cheap!

6 Thank Stevie G
“Never again!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Well let me start by saying that We were recommended this establishment by someone who shall remain nameless, but only because I don't remember her name! (She works at the Holiday Inn, Chester though)
Having walked past several reasonable looking Indian restaurants to get to this one, we expected to be in for a real treat, salivating at the mouth thinking about the delicately spiced wonders we would behold!
Alas, the first thing of wonder was when was the last time the windows were cleaned! As I peered through the unintentional frosted glass I saw a table of elderly people staring out at us with a gloom seen only around prisoner of war camps.
Still refusing to believe this place would be anything but supreme in it's curry we all went and sat down. Only two other tables were occupied so at least we should have been served relatively quickly!
After 30 minutes we were able to order our starters. Starters is quite ironic really because we didn't get to eat them until over an hour had passed. The size of the starters was a little disappointing and one of our party complained to staff. This resulted in extra samosas being brought out to him in less than thirty seconds. I was at this point wondering If the reason our starters took so long initially was because they had to all individually be placed in the microwave to cook.
Another hour passed and still no signs of the main. I looked over to the table of elderly people and wondered what year they ordered there meal.
When the mains came the fun and games really began. My peshwari naan turned up but instead of egg rice a large bowl of chips appeared. They must employ an item substitution policy similar to those in the online shopping supermarkets! My lamb shashlik finally appeared along with saag sauce. Credit to the chef, what he made was hot...that's about all I can say really about that. Looking round the table when everyone had finished it appeared like no one had started.
Going to the toilet was also apparently a lot of fun. Although I myself didn't venture up the stairs I was informed that on the way into the loo my friend passed a woman and two children, in what was apparently living accommodation. Now I'm all about family run business, but I wouldn't wish the event of me going to the toilet in the immediate proximity of anyone!
Finally we got the bill, and yes, this was another hour after finishing the meal.
Price was very inexpensive, yet considering the amount of food left and the quality I have never felt so ripped off in all my life!
If you read this and decide to eat there, you are simply an idiot! I write this with a belly churning from the toxic sludge still present inside. You have been warned!

5 Thank Cameron S