“New Years Eve”
Review of Laugh Inn

Laugh Inn
Ranked #9 of 46 Nightlife in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: NOTICE TO CUSTOMERS The Laugh Inn Comedy Events have now moved to the Commercial Hotel Chester.Chester's newest & best live entertainment venue & restaurant.Hosting comedy with some of the country's finest and up-and-coming comedians every Thursday, Friday and Saturday, along with touring shows, live music, bands and theatrical events midweek and Sundays. Our main theatre with 350 seats is the best place to watch live entertainment and theatre in Cheshire. Available for private parties, corporate events and general hire, the Laugh Inn offers high quality entertainment and dining for all occasions and all ages. Come and join us at the Laugh Inn with your family, friends and work colleagues for a fantastic quality fun night out!
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We visited the club for the first time this New Year’s eve. In writing this review I will do my best to stick to the facts, having worked in a similar type of venue for a number of years I understand both sides of the fence. On the whole I will say we had a reasonable night.
Venue: The venue itself is a good size and laid out well with easy access from bus rail or car. Sadly I have to say the venue could have been a lot cleaner. I may be a little pedantic but New Year is the flagship night of any venue and should be in its best condition. From the balcony seating upstairs the dust on the beams and stage side speakers was as if it had been snowing for while. On black décor, any dust will show up under the lighting. Cobwebs hanging from the ceiling just added to the bad first impressions. A pre event walk around by a manager should have easily picked this up. Sounds odd to go on about the dust but upon taking our seats this was the first impression we got of the place and first impressions say so much. The bar upstairs is more than adequate for size but again could have been a lot cleaner and 2 of the 3 mirrors on the back wall were broken. Seated upstairs for the comedy show, I have to say the seating, which is cinema style seating is very cramped for knee room. If you are tall make sure you get there early to secure front row seats where the best leg room is afforded.
Food & Drink:
The buffet food was OK. No complaints about the food served but being a new year I would have thought the selection would have been a little wider. The buffet was laid out in a side room which was excellent however a little foresight would have seen the tables not laid right up to the end wall which would have allowed a straight forward flow around the table. I would have also thought there would be a member of the catering team there to assist in serving and keeping the table flowing. Glasses were not always clean and I saw numerous times during the evening people handing glasses back for being dirty. Given the bars are closed while the acts are on stage there is plenty of down time to wash glasses and restock with ice, lemons and bottles. Small details that could be so easily fixed giving the customer a much better experience.
Staff:
I am afraid that the staff fell into one of two camps, either very very good or very very bad. There was a problem at the start of the evening with groupon ticket bookings turning up not having confirmed the booking which led to people being turned away. This caused a delay in starting but to be fair the door security team were faultless in doing their best to get the confirmed bookings in and sat down to allow the show to start. All credit to the team that were on. The cloakroom attendant was very efficient and wore a lovely smile, 1 of the few members of staff who did! Bar staff again were either very good or very bad, Customer service not high on their list of skills. That said one lady serving in the bar in the smaller room downstairs I would single out for praise, smiled, pleasant and over all very efficieant. Queuing times at the bar were ridiculously high. Prices of drinks were about what I expected for the type of venue and its location so no complaints there. The bars are closed while the acts are on so when an act finishes everyone gets up to the bar at once. For the type of venue I understand the need for the bars to be closed while the acts are on stage but a better system needs to be put in place, maybe a pre ordering/paying system so the drinks are on the bar awaiting collection with your NCR ticket. Yes it was a very busy night being New Year but this club according to the staff sells out quite regular so the numbers of customers was not something new to them. A few more staff would have eased the load and given both the staff and customers a better experience. A staff uniform or at least matching tops or badges or something would have given a much more professional appearance, sadly some of the staff looked quite scruffy.
The Acts:
There were 3 comedians on the bill along with a live 8 piece band all introduced by the compere. I will not comment on the quality of the acts as this is all subjective. Live comedy is always more raw than what you see on TV so there will always be more colourful language. All the acts got good applause so I would say they were well received in the main.
To Sum up:
With the size of the venue, the excellent location and parking this venue has all the ingredients needed to make this one of the premier venues not only in Chester but in the North of England. From what I saw it lacked a strong team leader on the night to pull all the elements together. This venue has now been open over a year and I feel a lot of these problems should have been ironed out by now. I don’t usually bother to write reviews for nights out but felt I had to on this one. As I said at the start I have tried to stick to the facts and give an honest appraisal.

2  Thank Andy L
Charlotte P, Public Relations Manager at Laugh Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback. All comments have been noted and are appreciated, although not necessarily agreed with, in particular the cleanliness of the venue (which is cleaned after each and every show) also there is no specific staff uniform, and every member of staff was wearing a black shirt (girls in black).

It's always interesting to read such a complex and well pointed critique!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Had our works Christmas Do at The Laugh Inn on 21 Dec 2012 (I've also been many times before). All I can say is, a brilliant night on all accounts. Fabulous staff, side splitting comedians, great food (VIP Buffet), great DJ afterwards and wicked atmosphere. The Laugh Inn didn't let us down, and to top it off, great value for money!!

This is definitely the best place for a night out in the whole of Chester!!

2  Thank JesamineHopper
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have just got back home from a great night out with plenty of laughs and good food for a great price with the Groupon offer that I purchased. I had bought the pizza and comedy offer, but when I called to book the pizza offer was sold out, so I was given the option to upgrade my offer to the VIP buffet with includes balcony seating and use of the upstairs cocktail bar for a small additional cost which I paid. I also asked about parking and was told that there was a car park next door which was free after 6pm. The entrance to the car park entrance is located off the small roundabout just passed the venue on the same side of the road. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the compare and acts were great, there was a good selection of quality food on the buffet, and it was an altogether fab bargain night out. My only gripe is that the bar staff upstairs were quite slow this evening so that most of the breaks was spent stood at the bar waiting when it wasn't particularly busy. That aside, I will definitely be purchasing the Groupon offer again soon.

1  Thank Vikkie C
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently attended the Saturday night show with Jason Cook as compere. As ever the acts wereall very funny, but I would say as with a lot of comedy it is not for the easily offended. I think the service is good and the pizzas are excellent even if like me you rarely eat fast food.
I have been several times and each time there has been a decline in standards of behaviour. The audience were generally in high spirits but many were interrupting the show by talking loudly, using mobiles despite complaints by some who were trying to enjoy the show. Also the after show was dominated by thuggish men and completely intoxicated women, which was more like a visit to Chester races. I think the owners need to be wary of attracting the wrong clientele, after all it is a live performance venue, and you would expect certain levels of decency. Ok they might argue they are there to make money, but I had a feeling they were cooking there own goose by letting standards drop.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went with friends hoping for some good stand up comedy, sorely disappointed. The acts tried to get laughs by swearing every other word, jokeswere in poor taste and whilst we expected some swearing it wasn't funny when it was the only way they could get laughs. Half the audience were rolling drunk at 8.30pm, Won't be returning a complete waste of money!

1  Thank lynne65
Charlotte P, Public Relations Manager at Laugh Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

We are very sorry to hear that you feel you wasted your money and will not be returning, we endeavor to give all of our customers the best possible live comedy experience and it appears we failed to do so in your case.
Was there a particular comedian you did not like? Our compare Johnathan Meyer is one of the best on the circuit and is currently the warm up for Sarah Millican's TV show, The middle act Jason Cook appears in a sitcom which he wrote which is airs on Thursday nights on BBC2 and the headline act Jeff Innocent is reputedly one of the nicest blokes in comedy who has just been picked to start a nationwide one man show. Live comedy is often a lot more raw, anarchic and random than the polished product you often see on TV so maybe live stand up comedy is not for you?
With respect to 'drunk' customers we do as you can imagine cater for large groups of stags, hens birthdays etc and deal with most hecklers/disruptors quickly but it is a weekend and people do often over indulge. Again we are sorry that you had a poor experience here and would the relish the opportunity to make it up to you should you return.