“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cheshire Cat

The Cheshire Cat
Ranked #74 of 554 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Cheshire Cat in Christleton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Mauchline, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

On a recent weekend to Chester we decided to eat Sunday lunch at the Cheshire Cat in Christleton following a recommendation. As it was such a lovely afternoon we chose to eat outside with one or two other people. Our starters were very nice and good value for money, however, I am afraid I cannot say the same about the main courses. We both ordered the Sunday roast and opted for the beef. When it came my beef was extremely underdone and my husband’s was very overdone. We didn’t discover this until the waiter had left as it was hidden under the yorkshire pud. It is absolutely appalling that any chef can send out two completely different plates of food to the same table. I should point out that I love my meat rare and hate it overdone but even I could not eat some of it. Had we been sitting inside I would have sent it back but once our food had been delivered, I am afraid we were ignored by the waiting staff. It was just too embarrassing to have to carry it back into the restaurant and complain. Maybe we were just unlucky but I am afraid that when we go back to Chester in a few weeks I will definitely not be eating here again.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Great gastro pub with accommodation-all newly refurbished now!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Myself and two colleagues were to stay here for a night prior to a business meeting the following day. I had booked through Late Rooms and got a good deal of £62.00 including continental breakfast.

Upon arrival I thought there had been some mistake-the pub/restuarant/hotel (it's all 3!) looked like a construction site and a sign on the road said it was not open until the following day! I called in and the manager assured me that all the rooms were ready but they were not serving food that night. However we could join them for their VIP opening night with champagne and canapes! It was 5:00pm and all the tradesmen were frantically trying to get their jobs completed before the 6:00pm opening! Just like a TV fix it up series!

The rooms are of a very generous size with high ceilings and you could tell I was probably the first person in after their extensive refurbishment-the smell of paint and new carpet was evident but not oppressive. Bed was comfortable and large, bathroom had shower gel and soaps provided and a good size flat screen TV. No trouser press which is handy as a business traveller though.

We had dinner at a nearby harvester pub which was a 10 minute walk along the adjacent canal tow path which was very good but thats covered in another review. The staff advised us of how to get there and were extremely helpful. This is a lovely location with canal boats moored adjacent to the pub.

As we did not have dinner at the Cheshire Cat I can't comment on the food quality, presentation, service or value. However the breakfast we had was a plentiful continental variety with croissants, pan au chocolate, cerials, preserves, toast and plentiful tea & coffee. Service was attentive and I think the ambience in the building is really good due to its design and features.

I must say that the staff that the Cheshire Cat have selected are very good behind the bar, you can tell they are very experienced and all 20/30 something not young kids on £5 an hour who don't give a damn.

I am regularly on business in Liverpool and the Cheshire Cat is only 30 minutes away so I will give this another try in the near future. The only reason I have not given 5/5 is that I have yet to try the food.

Good luck with business after your refurbishment!.

1 Thank ApplePieBoy
neath
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service, low quality food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Visited on what was claimed to be special night. Ordered veg option pie at 7.45 - when arrived filo pastry was bunt to crisp. Waitress took back to 'chef' - returned again with same pie to advise it was last one ! Chef offered to cut away the burnt parts - accepted relucatantly as rest of party already had their mains and did not wish to hold them up. When pie returned with accomanying veg the pie and veg were now cold. Asked for supervisor - waitress went away. 25 mins later went in search of supervisor (waitress had not returned to see if required drinks, dessert, coffee). Not charged for this 'meal' but supervisor did not confidence this was a one off. Mixed grill meat was of poor quality. Will not return here (normally have good quality meals at Vintage Inns)

South
“Great food, service not so great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Went here on a steak night. 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £30. Was very busy so I would advise to book a table. Service was not very good. We ordered our starters, which took 20 minutes to arrive. The plates were left infront of us for another 20 minutes after finishing them. When the waitress eventually cleared them away she asked us if we would like to see the dessert menu. We advised her that we would after we had had out main course!!! The steaks then arrived some 15 minutes later, but they were worth the wait. Food was excellent, shame the service did not match. The Cheshire Cat is in a great location right on the canal, with good sized outside areas with tables.

• Visited September 2012
Chester
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Have been to the Cheshire Cat on numerous occassions and always been pleased - what has happened! Service was awful - had to ask for menus, long wait for order to be taken, after another half an hour had to go and ask where food & drinks were. Food when it arrived was Ok but not up to the standard we previously new.

Seemed to be staff issues. Pub was not busy inside so were able to hear all staff conversations. Staff being asked to work longer hours, one team member who I presume was on a break was sat at a table in the bar eating and on his mobile phone - not very professional.

As main course took so long we didn't have time for dessert. Getting the bill was another saga as the bar had no record of us! No apology or acknowledgement of our wait or poor service received. Staff seem oblivous to the problem.

All in all an awful experience will not be returning - I feel sorry for the 100 diners they are expecting tonight!

• Visited September 2012