“New favourite zoo!”

Chester Zoo
Ranked #1 of 93 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're the UK's number one charity zoo, with over 15,000 animals and 500 different species, including some of the most endangered species on the planet. With 1.9 million visitors every year, the zoo is an all-year round, full-day visitor attraction for everyone. We're open daily from 10am, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Car parking is free and on site. Facilities for disabled visitors, including self-drive electric scooters and wheelchairs.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“New favourite zoo!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Went whilst in Liverpool for a few days visiting our daughter. We ended up spending half a day at the zoo but could have happily spent all day there, even though we were four adults! The weather was gorgeous, which helped of course, but if it hadn't been there are plenty of things to see indoors. We'd initially thought the tickets were a bit expensive but it turned out to be well worth the money. When we bought our tickets were were asked if we were OK with £2 each being donated to their wildlife conservation projects - I thought they meant £2 out of the entry fee but realised afterwards this was in addition to the £20 entry fee! However, after seeing all the worldwide wildlife conservation projects the zoo is involved in, including efforts to save endangered species, we couldn't begrudge it.

The zoo seems to be very well managed; it's clean and tidy and they obviously pay a lot of attention to looking after the animals' habitats. They've set the educational information at the perfect level so it's interesting for both adults and children. There are plenty of different places to get something to eat and the obligatory gift shop is actually quite good and not filled with tacky rubbish.

The only negative I can think of is the toilets, which weren't great by the end of the day. It did strike me that animals probably make less mess than humans!

My favourite things were the Fruit Bat Forest, where you walk in the dark with bats swooping all around you, and the Butterfly House (where I just wanted to sit in a deckchair for the rest of the afternoon and watch the gorgeous colourful butterflies floating around).

I'd go back there any day and when grandchildren come along (not too soon, if my daughters are reading this!) then I'll be taking them too.

Visited July 2014

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“July 2014”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

A great zoo and a great day out. It takes 4-5 hours to see everything the zoo has to offer and even then you may have missed something. Both kids & adults will have a great time if you like zoo's!

Visited July 2014
Newport
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Was alright”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Before booking and goin down to Chester to stay I looked and the weather and it's was fine but when we got there it had tale easy rained a little bit so as for the zoo a lot of the animals weren't out. Still saw you good majority of them but misses the main ones such as lions,tigers,bears and elephants.

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“loved the tigers”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Not been here since a child and how its grown! well worth the money so much to see and if the weather is good its great. the history of the zoo is facinating can"t wait to see the tv documentary in the autumn.

Visited June 2014
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Amazing zoo”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I love Chester zoo, I came for my last birthday and I'm 22, still love it. Huge animal lover and there's soooo much to see. I would recommend to anyone. Definitely come back!

Visited December 2013