“Terrific”

Chester Zoo
Ranked #1 of 99 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're the UK's number one charity zoo, with over 15,000 animals and 500 different species, including some of the most endangered species on the planet. With 1.9 million visitors every year, the zoo is an all-year round, full-day visitor attraction for everyone. We're open daily from 10am, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Car parking is free and on site. Facilities for disabled visitors, including self-drive electric scooters and wheelchairs.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Chester Zoo is fantastic! Lots of different animals in natural settings, and lots of playground type activities for younger children. There were refreshment stands all over, but these were fairly expensive as were the café facilities, however there were lots of picnic facilities to eat your own food. Even though the zoo was very busy it was not over crowded and it was possible to view all of the animals. Signage was clear and there were plenty of staff on hand to answer questions. Altogether a great day out.

Write a ReviewReviews (11,335)

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We went today and we had a lovely time. All of the animals were out and i was good to see some of them in their natural habitat, we paid on the gate for one family ticket (2 adults 2 children) and a extra child ticket. A must do at the park is the Monorail which gives a good view of all animals from lions to rhinos.

The only thing that we were upset by was one of the chimpanzees sat in full view of the public eating its on excrement other than that we would recommend the zoo to anyone.

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Have to say have been many times and had a great time as my son is a animal geek but this visit was somewhat spoilt by a rude member of staff from the jaguar coffee house.
Queues are acceptable in the kids holiday and I was more than understanding I queued for 25 mins for a cappuccino no problem someone mistakenly took mine so I tried to tell them but was ignored twice then when I gave up and asked for a refund I was rudely spoken to by a lady not acceptable, won't hurry back there's plenty of zoos and at £62 I want to be spoken to nicely and not embarrassed in front of a queue of people!

I raised this with chester zoo who have apologised but just thought I should let over customers know they might prefer to save time and money and bring a flask!!

I also think monorail and water buses should be free.

1  Thank Vix26585
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had a great day at Chester Zoo (myself, hubby and 6 year old). Lots of animals to see, a good amount of places to eat/drink, plenty of places to sit down and rest your legs for a while. We did find it a little pricey - however, I guess a zoo is an expensive place to run!!

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Was around the area and decided to visit since was highly regarded when looking through websites. Was quite disappointed with the enclosed areas like leopard and ape. Was quite cramp when you have tons of visitors and not many animals to actually see. Much prefer longleat safari where there are vast numbers of animals such as lion, camel etc at close proximity.

1  Thank lohon