“Great family day out”

Chester Zoo
Ranked #1 of 98 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We're the UK's number one charity zoo, with over 15,000 animals and 500 different species, including some of the most endangered species on the planet. With 1.9 million visitors every year, the zoo is an all-year round, full-day visitor attraction for everyone. We're open daily from 10am, except for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Car parking is free and on site. Facilities for disabled visitors, including self-drive electric scooters and wheelchairs.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I go regularly to the zoo with my granddaughter and she never tires of it . Always something new to see. We have invested in annual passes and we they have more than paid for themselves.
Some of the food can be a bit pricey so packed lunches are advised.

Lovely day out whatever the weather.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Heard so many positive accounts about Chester Zoo that we just had to go. All staff had time for you and helped us have a good day out. Chester wasn't a bad zoo, it was certainly large, we were there 6 hours and still didn't see everything. However for presentations I would say that Blackpool zoo beat it hands down. A smaller zoo, yes, but maybe they work harder at making their talks and displays more fun. Which when you are with children is a big part of the reason for going. I wouldn't' discourage a visit because it is well worth it and and the admission fee is value for money. Take your own food because the prices in the cafes for something to eat is just plain extortionate. I did enjoy the small gardens the zoo kept. This was something different and the way they displayed in different styles was very refreshing. They also had greenhouses showing the plants they grew for the different animal habitats.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Brilliant, if you haven't taken your kids here yet you are BAD parents.

Loved everything about it, good value for money

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited the zoo on20th June 2013. Arrived early and parking was very good. Having a fast track ticket was brilliant, although there wasn't a queue when we arrived. The zoo is set out in a lovely setting with lots of gardens to sit in and plenty of shaded areas too. The animals were very well kept and seemed to be happy, not like. In some zoos, the animals enclosures were open and didn't have that caged look. Lots of young baby animals that are so cute. We really liked the monorail, as there were only the two of us, we were happy to pay the extra £2 each. We never got round to the boat trips, we have left that for another visit.

It was really good that there were plenty of toilets as well as refreshment places, that didn't seem too expensive. The zoo staff were all very helpful and obviously loved their job.

There are so many animals to see, we spent nearly six hours and didn't get to see them all. The tigers were hiding, so felt a little disappointed, but later found out they have recently had cubs, so were probably indoors.

I thought that the bat cave was awesome, amazing creatures!

The only problem we found that school children, teenagers, were left by the teachers to do what they wanted, some were evicted from the zoo for bad behaviour, well done to the zoo for taking action, just a shame the teachers didn't.

This really is an amazing day out, if I lived closer I would purchase the annual membership, so that I could visit often and concentrate on one area at a time. Really love this place and I think it is a must!!

1  Thank TheStoreys
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited on a miserable weathered day this month but it was extremely busy as there were a few school trips visiting, because of this the indoor enclosures were very busy.
With other reviews that have been said about seeing no animals must've had really bad luck as we saw all the animals and they were very active except the cheetahs and the lions who were resting.
The butterfly house is a must as it is very nice in there and very good for me as I am taking up photography as a hobby.
The price was ok for us as my little sister has a membership card so she gets her and one other person in for free so I day for entry came to pretty much 19 pounds which is quite cheap considering the size of the place.
Food wise it is better to take a picnic as there are many areas for having a picnic and the restaurants are very expensive there.