“One of my favourite Northern race courses”
Review of Chester Racecourse

Chester Racecourse
Ranked #12 of 91 things to do in Chester
More attraction details
Owner description: Chester is the oldest racecourse in the UK and possibly the world, the first recorded race was held on February 9th 1539. We have 15 race days a year and host numerous other events throughout the year. The company is responsible for two racecourses and all catering and conference facilities at Bangor on Dee and Chester, along with an on course hotel - the Holiday Inn Express, restaurants 1539 and The White Horse on site and Commonhall Social in the city of Chester. The company also provide external catering services for third party events.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“One of my favourite Northern race courses”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I love Chester, it's like a Mary Poppins race course for people who like to drink champagne! Plus it's walk able from town centre so you can stroll in a minute from the town centre to the race course and back! Lovely, traditional race course with so many indoor and outdoor areas!
I'd advise opting for county stand and head for the middle where there is lots of drink stands and you see the horses parade before the race and the winner awards after!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Loulocket

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Chester, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Look forward to returning”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was a races virgin till I came here with a group of friends that visit often. I was not sure what to expect if Im honest. Ive never thought standing around in a racecourse would appeal. But I had to try and I will go back. It was a great day.
We paid for county and if I known what I know now I would agree with some of the comments that it is not worth the money. But I like the idea of sitting of with your own food and drinks in the other parts.
All the women wore heels that just made me cringe. I opted for flats and I was grateful. Didnt sit down all day. I did enjoy it but struggled to get involved with the racing. We stood in the middle by the viewing paddock and couldnt really hear or see anything. That is why I want to go back because I reckon I missed out there.
We opted for the pimms pitcher at £20 each (Which gave you 6 cups and a bit). I got a burger. Actually very yummy at £3.95. The toilets.... not too bad actually.
Tip if any- er decide your horses before. As a newbie I struggled to pick a winner in the hustle and bustle of the course.

Visited June 2012
N.Wales UK
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 581 helpful votes
“Fantastic day out!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Went for the first time with a group of friends (who had all been before) and a little unsure of what to expect but we all had a brilliant time. We paid 11 pounds each and sat in the middle. We took our own food and drink with us so don't know the prices of anything there. The atmosphere was just fantastic and the day went by all to quickly.
Placed a few bets but didn't win anything but that didn't spoil the day at all. Even the rain didn't bother us LOL.
Great day out for a group of friends and cheap enough if you take all your own food and drink.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank HEVER
Flintshire, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

great day and lovely venue but drinks and food very pricey

Visited May 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Great day out!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you like the Aintree Races, meet its classy cousin, a great day out in a great location.