“Recent stay in Chester”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the very warm and friendly staff.

The hotel is period, so if you are expecting high tech and super modern this may not be for you.

The restaurant food was very good, slightly pricey but worth at least one visit.

The rooms were adequate for a short stay. Everything you could possibly need was supplied and the water bottle was a lovely touch as were the chocolate brownies on arrival.

One thing: no draught beer in the bar!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
GM_Blossoms, General Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Dear Hoofergp

Thank you for placing a review on trip advisor, we love to hear our guests feedback which helps us improve our offerings.

I was delighted to learn about the staff being warm and friendly and this will be shared in our staff meeting to which I know they will be very pleased to hear.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Macdonald New Blossoms hotel.

Ian Griebenow

Write a ReviewReviews (1,903)

Reviewed August 17, 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by friends who have stayed here before and I now know why!
The hotel is right in the centre of Chester only steps away from the Main Street and all the local historic sights.
The room we stayed in was large, very clean and comfortable. We heard no noise in the evening that others have mentioned.
The Manager Ian warmly greeted us and took our bags to our room - a lovely gesture.
All the hotel staff seemed extremely friendly and helpful - Jennifer on reception was very knowledgeable on Chester's local history and provided us with lots of information.
We ate in the restaurant a couple of times - once in the evenings and once for breakfast both were freshly cooked and delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room

Dear Silver Voices

Thank you for placing a review on trip advisor, hearing kind words like you have written is the ultimate reward working in the industry.

I have shared your comments with Jennifer, our chef and all the other staff who were delighted to hear.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Macdonald New Blossoms in the future.

Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to this hotel in the last few months and I will definitely be returning again. Such friendly staff who always seem happy and willing to help ( such a refreshing change to some others I have stayed in)
The room once again was lovely and clean. The hotel is so close to the centre of chester you don't need to use your car.
I definitely recommend this hotel to any travellers to chester.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear OllieDood

Thank you for placing a review on trip advisor, we at the Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel constantly work on out customer service and I delighted that this has paid off.

I have shared your feedback at our staff meeting and they were delighted to learn of your comments especially our housekeeping staff who take so much pride in their rooms.

Once again thank you for the kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdoanld New Blossoms Hotel.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We thought the hotel room was average, clean and basic. The hotel is in the perfect position to visit Chester. We had our breakfast in the room, I can honestly say it is one of the worst breakfasts we have ever had. The bacon was so hard you couldn't cut it, the black pudding fried so much when you cut it it broke up into crumbs and the smell of old fat was overwhelming, the smell made you feel sick, so tray had to be placed outside the door immediately. Apart from that everything else was alright.

Dear MD

Thank you for writing a review on trip advisor, we encourage all types of feedback to help improve our offerings.

I was dissapointed to learn of the breakfast quality, this is an area which Macdonald hotels pride itself in. I have discussed the matter with my head chef and food and Beverage manager who have both given me their commitment to perform immediate remedial training to ensure that the same situation will not reoccur.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss the matter further and I do hope we have the oppertunity to welcome you back to the Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

The room was very small but it was beautifully decorated. The theme was carried throughout the hotel and really did look elegant. The staff where very friendly and helpful.
It was really clean .
Really close to the city centre. Its only literally takes less than a minute to walk to the high-street.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Tasha A

Thank you for writing a review on trip advisor, feedback is invaluable to us.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding the staff who were delighted to hear. I understand your comments with regards to the size of your room, due to the age of our building all of our rooms differ in size and shape however as you have mentioned with the same theme of decoration.

I look forward to being able to have the oppertunity to welcome you back to the Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed two nights for my partners birthday. The room and hotel is lovely, great central location (although noisy at night but what can you expect from a city centre)

During breakfast on the first day, my partner politely asked if there was an alternative butter for the toast as the butter they put on the table wasn't to his liking (i think it was unsalted, he thought it was margarine). So the waiter went off to the kitchen. The next thing the restaurant manager comes marching out the kitchen grabs the margarine off the buffet, throws it down onto the table and says the only choice is this or their expensive butter, he then proceeded to bring out the butter packet to show us from the kitchen, and talk to us in such an aggressive loud manner. It was so embarrassing, all the people on the other tables were starring. I'm not fussed about the butter at all, I mean really, who cares!! But I was mortified that he caused such a scene, for a simple answer to a simple question. I would expect a lot more professional service from a restaurant manager of a four star hotel. All the other staff were absolutely lovely. I felt so anxious about going down for breakfast the following day, who wants to stay in a hotel were you are made to feel uncomfortable.

4  Thank LoztheLamb

Dear LunareB

I would like to thank you for writing a review on trip advisor, as our guest feedback is of the utmost importance to us.

I was very concerned to learn of your experience and I can fully appreciate your comments, I have tried to investigate the matter and I would welcome your imput further clarifying some points. I would like to apologise for the situation and that you were left to feel uncomfortable. I was however happy to learn of the costomer service from all the other staff.

I hope that we will have the oppertunity to welcomt you back to the Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Very nice little hotel with chester centre were you step outside and your in the city centre. staff were nice hotel was nice and clean. qiet and traditional with mice staircase. nice lounge and restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple