2,081 results
All reviews car park central location lovely hotel excellent location one way system cooked breakfast black pudding early hours reception staff city break evening meal hotel restaurant breakfast was excellent afternoon tea short break my birthday full english
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Macdonald hotel for one night. The staff were all helpful and friendly. We had breakfast in the morning which was included in our booking, fantastic food!
It is in a great location just off the main street, although there isn't any parking there is a car park round the corner which was cheap, secure and close to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrjorzuff
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Having just moved from one hotel of the Fawlty variety, this made a welcoming difference. And we arrived at Happy Hour for half-price cocktails. Just the start we needed for an evening of wall walking. This hotel, one of the oldest in town but full of 21st century comforts, is just a few yards from the clock tower entrance to the wall and just a short stroll to the river. Good-sized room and bathroom and a good breakfast, immaculately served.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I took my partner here for some R&R. The hotel is located in the pedestrian zone in Chester centre and as such we couldn't find it at first due to road closed no access signs saying I couldn't go where the sat nav was sending me. Tell the wardens where you're going and they'll let you through the barriers. Checkin was ok but slow ( language barrier). The room was nice. Warm. Huge bathroom but a naff view of a roof covered in pidgeon guano. Water lukewarm. Didn't really see any staff except front desk. Instructions for the car park were not clear and as such we ended up in the expensive one. Good points are because it's in the pedestrian zone the shops are just outside. Plenty of nearby pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Tiniest bathroom. Knees touch the bath when you sit on the loo. Toilet didn't flush. View of a brick wall from the window A bit like prison with nice sheets cocktails £9.50 each. Dessert £8.50. Eat out!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We booked via Late Rooms and had a third floor room. The lift was rather small but understandably in a hotel that was built in 1605!!! The room was PERFECTLY clean and of an adequate size. There were the usual amenities but a lovely touch was a welcome plate with a chocolate, small cake and a strawberry. We chose not to eat in the hotel but decided to visit the bar for a cocktail as it was 2 for 1. Although they were quite pricey the bar tenders made me a cocktail that wasn't on the menu. They were chatty and polite with nibbles on the tables. Beds were comfy, linen spotless and pillows super soft.
You have to park in a The Grosvenor Shopping centre and it is £10 for 24hours. At the hotel desk you pay for this and only pay £9. It is a struggle to get into collect your car before 11am so just ask the hotel staff.
One main let down was the night club on the street which attracted late night revellers. I'm glad I had ear plugs as late night stragglers were still waiting for taxis at 3:30am. It is to be expected in a city but it might be worth asking for a room on the main street.
The staff were very courteous and check in was faultless. We did have an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple