Brilliantly situated for a city break in Chester.
Welcoming staff at reception on arrival. Rooms and bathrooms very clean with all the usual tea and coffee making facilities. Nicely decorated,comfy beds.
We had booked a 3 night Winter Warmer break which included b&b and evening meal. We were informed that there would be 2 menus each evening, one of which we would have an allowance of £25 each evening, the other menu was a 'chefs special' 3 course menu which would include a glass of wine, again for £25
On arrival in the dining room we were given the menu, and we asked if we could see the Chef Special menu too. We were told by a rather embarrassed young waitress that the Chefs Special menu was not available. We asked why and were told that because there had been a wedding taking place that there would only be one menu that night. This we accepted.
I asked if I could have the Lamb dish and was told this was not available, so had to choose something else. The meals were well presented and we had no complaints about the service.
It was quite cold in the dining room because the main front door of the hotel had been damaged and it was jammed open, meaning the cold night air came straight in to the lobby / reception area and dining room.
It's worth mentioning here that our room was on the corner of the building. Room 207. It faces the main road where there are 2 nightclubs. All I can say is that it's a good job the room had secondary double glazing, because there was loud boom, boom ,boom ,music and shouting from clubbers outside of the club in the small hours of the morning ie 3-4 am
I hate to think what it would be like in the summer if you needed to have the windows open.
Fortunately the nightclub is closed on Sunday nights so we had one night out of 3 without the added noise.
The following morning at Breakfast time ,the dining room was still very cold. We were assured that the door would be repaired that day which it was.
The choice of breakfast was very good, with buffet items, yogurt, cereals, cheese, etc and items cooked to order which we all enjoyed.
The 2 nd evening we were offered both menus, and chose the Chefs Special Menu.
We all had a very enjoyable meal which was served and presented very well.
On our last evening we were surprised to see that the Chefs Special Menu for the evening was the same as the previous evening! We enquired as to why it was the same menu as before and were told that the Chefs Special Menu only gets changed once a month!
We chose to eat from the standard menu, but found that the Lamb dish which we had requested the first evening was STILL not available, I then asked for the Lemon Sole and was told this was also not available!
The waiter who was was clearly embarrassed then said we wouldn't be charged for the bottle of wine we had ordered by way as compensation, which we felt was a kind gesture.
The meal was enjoyable but we were disappointed that we hadn't been able to have the items we would have liked on the menu.
All in all we had a very pleasant stay, but felt that several small points let this hotel down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, part of the AA Hotel Group of the Year 2013/14 is a classical boutique hotel in the heart of the historic City of Chester, situated on the famous City Walls and near the Eastgate Clock Tower, said to be the second most photographed clock in England. First opened in 1650, you won't find another more historical hotel in Chester but you will find our hotel's period charm blends perfectly with modern luxury, creating the perfect environment to relax and unwind. Our elegant stylish and flexible function suites teamed with a city centre location, provide the perfect environment for a wedding, conference or event with free, unlimited WiFi powered by The Cloud for every delegate. Our Meeting and event promise will make sure you get the environment and dedicated team to meet all of your needs. When the business day is done, there's no better place for you to retire to than the new 1650 St Johns Restaurant where you'll dine on sensational food using fresh, quality ingredients, topped off with an excellent wine selection and friendly, personal service. Aiming to be one of the coolest new restaurants in Chester, enjoy our personally crafted 2-4-1 cocktails every evening between 5pm-7pm. The hotel has the perfect location to sample all the delights that Chester has to offer including shopping, Chester nightlife, Dee River cruises, the famous Chester Racecourse along with historical attractions such as The Rows and City Walls. A 15 minute trip will take you to the Chester Oaks Designer Outlet or Chester Zoo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald New Blossoms Chester
- Hotel Macdonald New Blossoms